Sign in with
Your question

How to retrieve data from an external hard drive and transfer to a new computer

Last response: in Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:39:48 AM

Old XP crashed. Backed up on Western Digital My Book Home Edition. Plug into new Dell XPS, and it is not recognized. How to retrieve files from hard drive?
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 6:07:52 AM

Susan_11 said:
Old XP crashed. Backed up on Western Digital My Book Home Edition. Plug into new Dell XPS, and it is not recognized. How to retrieve files from hard drive?

What do you mean by XP Crashed ? Hardware / Software / Fatal HD error?

When you put it in the new computer, is it cabled as secondary/slave, and did you change jumper settings to indicate this ?

Not recognized where, bios, disk mgmt, my computer ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 6:14:31 AM

Susan_11 is it USB? Post model name.
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2011 12:12:42 AM

ksiemb said:
What do you mean by XP Crashed ? Hardware / Software / Fatal HD error?

When you put it in the new computer, is it cabled as secondary/slave, and did you change jumper settings to indicate this ?

Not recognized where, bios, disk mgmt, my computer ?

Six yr old xp. Deteriorated over time. Finally would not load, could not restore. Tossed tower thinking back up on external hd was sufficient. New xps, plug in hd not recognized in disk management. Plugged into mac, recognized, but too big to burn cds. Have been on the phone with dell at least 8 times. They want me to purchase recovery software. Got a quote from a data recovery company in Atl. Minimum of $500. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What are jumper settings.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 4:28:39 AM

Susan_11 said:
Six yr old xp. Deteriorated over time. Finally would not load, could not restore. Tossed tower thinking back up on external hd was sufficient. New xps, plug in hd not recognized in disk management. Plugged into mac, recognized, but too big to burn cds. Have been on the phone with dell at least 8 times. They want me to purchase recovery software. Got a quote from a data recovery company in Atl. Minimum of $500. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What are jumper settings.

@Susan_11 - I am some what confused. You Mention an external drive, and you tossed the tower. Which drive are we talking about here ?

1) Did you remove the tower Hard drive and put this in the new computer as a secondary drive & it is not recognized ?

2) Or are you talking about the USB External Drive not being recognized ?

3) As Nikorr previously posted, what is drive model and also your new computer model & Operating System ?
m
l
November 11, 2011 8:34:36 PM

ksiemb said:
@Susan_11 - I am some what confused. You Mention an external drive, and you tossed the tower. Which drive are we talking about here ?

1) Did you remove the tower Hard drive and put this in the new computer as a secondary drive & it is not recognized ?

2) Or are you talking about the USB External Drive not being recognized ?

3) As Nikorr previously posted, what is drive model and also your new computer model & Operating System ?

The external hard drive is a USB "MY Book Edition" 750G Western Digital still under warranty.
The old CPU (XP) was thrown in the trash (I couldn't even get it to boot in the end)
The new CPU is a Dell XPS 8300 Windows 7
Lost the AC adapter and had to wait two weeks for WD to ship it.
Plug it in, recognized in task bar but no letter assigned to drive and does not appear in disk management.
Daughter plugs it into her MAC, she can see files but it is too big (too many files) for her to burn disk.
Take it to work and plug it into another XP and again I cannot open files.
After ten phone calls with Dell (in India) they tell me to buy "Recover Me" software for $80.
Contacted Data Recovery company here in Atlanta and they said they would do it for a minimum of $500!!!!
Any advice would help. Thanks for listening. Susan
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 8:48:59 PM

Susan_11 said:
Daughter plugs it into her MAC, she can see files but it is too big (too many files) for her to burn disk.
Can she move any of those files? Test with a CD or DVD full.
If the whole disk is accessible - get a replacement external hard drive and use the Mac to copy files from the old external hard drive to the new one.
m
l
!