Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P6X58D Premium/Marvell Controller Boot problem

Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2011 2:27:41 PM

Hello,

I load windows from a SSD that is connected to one of the SATA II ports (the blue ones). On my BIOS, I have AHCI enabled for the Intel controllers and my Windows 7 x64 installation works well. All the board's drivers are up to date as of yesterday (although I only look at what's available in the ASUS webpage).

I bought 2 WD Caviar Black SATA III compatible HDD that I want to use for storage. I first connected them to SATA II ports and they were recognized by Windows and worked well.

I then tried to connect them to the Marvell controlled ports of the motherboard. In the bios, I chose AHCI for the Marvell ports.

And here is the problem. Although Windows recognizes them, the windows startup process now takes for ever. In particular, the boot up hangs during the "Starting Windows" splash screen for several minutes.

If any one could suggest a solution I'd be really thankful as I need the other SATA II ports of the board for other drives.

Thanks
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 3:35:44 PM

Hmmm...what advantage are you assuming with the 2 WD Caviar Black SATA III on SATA2 vs SATA3 ports? Have you looked at the Read/Write speeds of the Caviar Black? Next the actual speeds of the Intel SATA2 & Marvell SATA3? {hint-don't confuse speed with Interface}.

Keep them on the Intel SATA2.

Otherwise, in the BIOS the Marvell must b 'on' Enabled and the Marvell set to AHCI. If you're still having a problem, set the BIOS to IDE, in the OS set both Start = 0, boot into the BIOS set the Marvell -> AHCI.

See -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
m
l
April 26, 2011 3:58:59 PM

Thanks for your answer.

I am an impressionable newbie on these issues so when I read that the HDD were SATA III compatible, I thought it'd be advantageous to connect them to the Marvell ports.

I'll follow your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 4:17:55 PM

The SATA2 Interface is 2X faster than your HDD, oddly the Write speeds will be faster on the Intel SATA and Read about the same. On the bright side most SATA3 HDD have a larger cache so the few bucks gives you something.

Don't feel anything bad, WD does a good job convincing most people SATA 6.0Gb/s suggests speed, it means SATA3 interface. The WD Caviar Black are fine, and the R/W is 140MB/s~150MB/s. SATA2 is a 300 MB/s interface and the SATA3 is a 600 MB/s interface. The Intel is a more mature and stable place for your HDD.

Try both and test both - why not...

People all over are freaking out realizing most SATA3, in particular Marvell 912X, is crapping out ~400±MB/s and NOT the assumed 600 MB/s. Meaning SSDs like OCZ Vertex 3 that are capable of R 550/W 500 MB/s are hitting a wall of 370~410 MB/s.

You learn something new every day - all of us :) 
May 3, 2011 12:38:19 AM

Hi jaquith,

I apologize for taking so long to write back. I was travelling and couldn't run a proper benchmark test with my drives.

You were absolutely right. The WD Caviar Black's performance does not depend on whether they are connected to the 6GB or 3GB SATA ports. In fact, the drive was slightly slower when hooked to the Marvell SATA 6Gb ports.

I just plugged everything to the SATA2 ports and I am back to being happy.

Thanks again for your help.
m
l
May 3, 2011 12:38:31 AM

Best answer selected by sabrown1016.
m
l
!