Pics of i7-930 New Build

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help in getting my 1st build in 7 years done. The primary purpose for this build is video editing.

i7-930 - P6X58D-E - 6GB OCZ Platinum - GTS 250 ( GTX 460 Coming soon ) - x25M 80GB SSD - 1TB Samsung F3 -
CMPSU-750HX - Noctua NH-D14 + 5 Noctua fans ( 2 x NF-P14, 3 x NF-P12 )

Here are some pics to share:

Current Temps & Speed - Is it normal to have an 8 Degree difference between the 1st and 4th core?

Of course, this isn't overclocked yet - I'm researching that now - I'd like to know if my current temps are "normal" before I overclock. This build is SUPER fast, faster than anything I ever worked on before.

Memory Settings - These of course need tweaking as well - my memory has 7-7-7-24N timings.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Thank you - the key is to really take your time with it. I rewired the whole thing twice.

What are your thoughts on the temps? is it normal to have an 8 degree difference between the 1st & 4th core?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Great choice of components. I have noctua NF-P12 fans too and working for 2 and a half years now, and still no problems with noise from them what so ever. Your PC look's very good and has great ventilation from what i can see.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

I know - I know - you're very right, but when I was doing research, I was not aware of this fact, and no one here really pointed that out to me.

I bought the case early on locally, since it was the only 1 they had in stock, and it was $89.99. So, this saved on shipping charges, and at the time, I only wanted to spend around $100 on a case.

3 weeks later, by the time I got the rest of my build together, it was too late to return the case, believe me, I wanted to return it to get a better case. They wouldn't take it back, so I HAD to work with it, and when I was purchasing fans I really couldn't find anything that met my high performance low noise needs, so I went with Noctua fans, as they met my picky needs, and matched the NH-D14 fans nicely. ;) Gotta look at the plus sides, right?

I did get the 3 NF-P12's for $18.99 each, saving $5 on each of them. In the end, I ended up spending $110 on fans, and I KNOW I could've gotten a much better case for that extra dough.

Trust me, If I had a do over, I would've gotten a more expensive case, OR, I would've gotten the HAF 922 right off the bat, which comes with 2 x 200mm fans, and getting a 3rd would've been like $15. This is what I wanted to do, but it was too late.

This being my 1st build in 7 years, the whole fan scenario didn't come up until after the build was put together, and I was already stuck with the case.

Lesson learned, don't buy the case 1st! I made the best of it, by working with what I had, and I don't regret it, I love those fans, and know they will last a long time, while keeping everything nice and cool, and most importantly quiet. ;)

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Don't get me wrong I love noctua fans they push just as much air as their much noisier rivals(lets ignore delta fans for a moment :p). It's just I find their price can onlly be justified in some cases when silence is key and money is trivial. Now that I think of it your build is actually very suited for those noctua fans(d-14, ssd as primary and a 460) although maybe a little overpriced.

And yeah buying a case first or together with your first components for that matter isn't the best idea. I also speak from experience. I bought my element G a few months back together with my 930 following people's advice that a case doesn;t have to be expensive. They were right of course.

But now when I open my drawer and find some unnused money I look regretfully at my element G. Now I wish I had bought some completely overkill(can't get that tj07 out of my head lol) case.

Because let's face it in higher end builds like mine and yours it isn't so much about bang for buck as it is about what feels good, what looks cool and especially about having something your friends don't :p.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Like noctua fans... :lol:

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
lol - I hear ya - I too wish I had gotten a better case, but I do love what I've done with it, as it looks very sharp, and I was able to get some awesome fans to go with it ( you win some, you lose some ) - Lesson learned. ;)

Compared to my previous computer - I am FLYING on this build, and it's not even overclocked or fully optimized yet, there's nothing I've thrown at it that it can't handle.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah my pc is darn fast too exept I'm rather dissapointed with my 470. It can't handle heaven on highest settings :(. It fails on GTA IV on highest and it lagged a few frames on metro(only once in my 30hours of gameplay but being my first lag ever with my new pc it almost made me cry lol)

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I just changed the cable to ULNA cables, and wow - SO MUCH QUIETER, and no change in temps

Of course, I'm still running stock, so there wouldn't be a change anyway, we'll see how it goes once it's overclocked.

somebody - what do you have your i7 OC'ed to? Which mobo do you have?

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I don't have a permanent OC yet I just play around sometimes so I see how far I can push it but I always put it back on stock for normal usage.

I've got a caviar blacks in raid0 and a 470 which ussually bottleneck my cpu anyways. When I get my second 470 and ssd then I propably will put a permanent OC.

And I have a ga-x58a-ud5. FAr more bang for buck than than the p6x58d premium IMO. It has it's flaws but none of the concern me :D.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
oh ok - yeah - I haven't started playing with my OC yet, running at stock is SUPER fast, but when I start my video editing, and rendering, I'll definitely OC. I'll probably do the same and toggle back and forth.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Good question, as I would really like to know :)

I changed 4 of 5 fans ( top & front ) to ULNA cables, and now the system is SUPER quiet, and temps are exactly the same, which means that my current cooling set up is way overkill, since I'm still running stock.

I do plan on overclocking to 4.0, and thus the cooling set up, but are you saying toggling will shorten the life of the components, how so? Which components specifically, beyond the CPU....

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

That i do not know.. :lol: ..probably if you exceed the thermal/voltage limits it will, in time, if you go up and dawn the scale..

Personally i never got worried about mine. ..the irony.. :pfff:

Aint going to post about this matter, let others help you here because it might turn into a long discussion.

tecmo34

Administrator

I'm sorry... doesn't anyone else think the temps are a "little" high for a stock i7-930 with one of the best coolers you can buy?? Granted they are with in safe limits but seem high at idle speeds. kg2010... What did you get for temps after 2 hours of running Prime95?

I'm running my i7-920 DO at 3.4 with a Xigmatek S1283V Dark Knight and run idle at 37 on two cores and 34 on the other two cores. Granted my ambient room temps might be lower but the rest of your system temps seem close to mine?

Just wondering :whistle:

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I haven't really ran prime95 yet, when I did run it for about an hour, they were around 60 Degrees. A 20 degree jump, is that normal?

That's why I posted my temps, I'm wondering if the thermal paste is on properly....

I just started Prime95, and here are the temps

My memory hasn't been optimized, and I haven't touched anything in the BIOS

TRENDING THREADS