Tags:
  • Build
  • Intel i7
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2010 11:55:16 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help in getting my 1st build in 7 years done. The primary purpose for this build is video editing.

i7-930 - P6X58D-E - 6GB OCZ Platinum - GTS 250 ( GTX 460 Coming soon ) - x25M 80GB SSD - 1TB Samsung F3 -
CMPSU-750HX - Noctua NH-D14 + 5 Noctua fans ( 2 x NF-P14, 3 x NF-P12 )

Here are some pics to share:

Current Temps & Speed - Is it normal to have an 8 Degree difference between the 1st and 4th core?

Of course, this isn't overclocked yet - I'm researching that now - I'd like to know if my current temps are "normal" before I overclock. This build is SUPER fast, faster than anything I ever worked on before.

Memory Settings - These of course need tweaking as well - my memory has 7-7-7-24N timings.

More about : pics 930 build

July 18, 2010 1:26:12 AM

Nice case, that CM690 Advanced II, and very good cable management!
m
l
July 18, 2010 1:56:27 AM

Thank you - the key is to really take your time with it. I rewired the whole thing twice.

What are your thoughts on the temps? is it normal to have an 8 degree difference between the 1st & 4th core?
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2010 2:13:01 AM

My 1st and 3rd cores range from 5°C - 10°C higher than my 2nd and fourth cores on average, I don't think that would be a problem.
m
l
July 18, 2010 2:18:26 AM

Oh ok - cool - I was just wondering if I put the thermal paste on correctly
m
l
July 18, 2010 3:01:42 PM

kg2010,

I think that is normal with i7 cores. My temp varies between core 1,3 and 2,4. Usually 1,3 is higher than 2,4 about 5-7C apart. But it's OC @ 4GHz.
m
l
July 18, 2010 5:34:59 PM

Great choice of components. I have noctua NF-P12 fans too and working for 2 and a half years now, and still no problems with noise from them what so ever. Your PC look's very good and has great ventilation from what i can see.
m
l
July 18, 2010 5:42:28 PM

I have a d14 aswell boy that thing is a beast.

But why the expensive fans in a budget case? I mean you could have just gotten a good case which comes with good fans.
m
l
July 18, 2010 6:21:06 PM

Somebody_007 said:
I have a d14 aswell boy that thing is a beast.

But why the expensive fans in a budget case? I mean you could have just gotten a good case which comes with good fans.

I know - I know - you're very right, but when I was doing research, I was not aware of this fact, and no one here really pointed that out to me.

I bought the case early on locally, since it was the only 1 they had in stock, and it was $89.99. So, this saved on shipping charges, and at the time, I only wanted to spend around $100 on a case.

3 weeks later, by the time I got the rest of my build together, it was too late to return the case, believe me, I wanted to return it to get a better case. They wouldn't take it back, so I HAD to work with it, and when I was purchasing fans I really couldn't find anything that met my high performance low noise needs, so I went with Noctua fans, as they met my picky needs, and matched the NH-D14 fans nicely. ;)  Gotta look at the plus sides, right?

I did get the 3 NF-P12's for $18.99 each, saving $5 on each of them. In the end, I ended up spending $110 on fans, and I KNOW I could've gotten a much better case for that extra dough.

Trust me, If I had a do over, I would've gotten a more expensive case, OR, I would've gotten the HAF 922 right off the bat, which comes with 2 x 200mm fans, and getting a 3rd would've been like $15. This is what I wanted to do, but it was too late.

This being my 1st build in 7 years, the whole fan scenario didn't come up until after the build was put together, and I was already stuck with the case.

Lesson learned, don't buy the case 1st! I made the best of it, by working with what I had, and I don't regret it, I love those fans, and know they will last a long time, while keeping everything nice and cool, and most importantly quiet. ;) 
m
l
July 18, 2010 7:51:21 PM

Don't get me wrong I love noctua fans they push just as much air as their much noisier rivals(lets ignore delta fans for a moment :p ). It's just I find their price can onlly be justified in some cases when silence is key and money is trivial. Now that I think of it your build is actually very suited for those noctua fans(d-14, ssd as primary and a 460) although maybe a little overpriced.

And yeah buying a case first or together with your first components for that matter isn't the best idea. I also speak from experience. I bought my element G a few months back together with my 930 following people's advice that a case doesn;t have to be expensive. They were right of course.

But now when I open my drawer and find some unnused money I look regretfully at my element G. Now I wish I had bought some completely overkill(can't get that tj07 out of my head lol) case.

Because let's face it in higher end builds like mine and yours it isn't so much about bang for buck as it is about what feels good, what looks cool and especially about having something your friends don't :p .
m
l
July 18, 2010 10:17:31 PM

Somebody_007 said:

Because let's face it in higher end builds like mine and yours it isn't so much about bang for buck as it is about what feels good, what looks cool and especially about having something your friends don't :p .

Like noctua fans... :lol: 
m
l
July 18, 2010 10:40:50 PM

lol - I hear ya - I too wish I had gotten a better case, but I do love what I've done with it, as it looks very sharp, and I was able to get some awesome fans to go with it ( you win some, you lose some ) - Lesson learned. ;) 

Compared to my previous computer - I am FLYING on this build, and it's not even overclocked or fully optimized yet, there's nothing I've thrown at it that it can't handle.
m
l
July 18, 2010 10:45:30 PM

Think like this, you will be able to sleep when your PC is turned on. You can use ULNA to lower the RPM of the fans. At list that is why i bought mine.

Great build and clean cable management.
m
l
July 18, 2010 10:46:52 PM

Yep exactly! I'm actually considering changing those cables to the ULNA ones, I doubt there will be much of a difference in temps.
m
l
July 19, 2010 8:31:24 AM

Yeah my pc is darn fast too exept I'm rather dissapointed with my 470. It can't handle heaven on highest settings :( . It fails on GTA IV on highest and it lagged a few frames on metro(only once in my 30hours of gameplay but being my first lag ever with my new pc it almost made me cry lol)
m
l
July 19, 2010 8:35:54 AM

I just changed the cable to ULNA cables, and wow - SO MUCH QUIETER, and no change in temps

Of course, I'm still running stock, so there wouldn't be a change anyway, we'll see how it goes once it's overclocked.

somebody - what do you have your i7 OC'ed to? Which mobo do you have?
m
l
July 19, 2010 8:42:34 AM

I don't have a permanent OC yet I just play around sometimes so I see how far I can push it but I always put it back on stock for normal usage.

I've got a caviar blacks in raid0 and a 470 which ussually bottleneck my cpu anyways. When I get my second 470 and ssd then I propably will put a permanent OC.

And I have a ga-x58a-ud5. FAr more bang for buck than than the p6x58d premium IMO. It has it's flaws but none of the concern me :D .
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:28:17 PM

oh ok - yeah - I haven't started playing with my OC yet, running at stock is SUPER fast, but when I start my video editing, and rendering, I'll definitely OC. I'll probably do the same and toggle back and forth.
m
l
July 19, 2010 6:45:05 PM

That shortens the life of your components. Once you overclock, leave it that way.
m
l
July 19, 2010 9:32:42 PM

ionut19 said:
That shortens the life of your components. Once you overclock, leave it that way.

seriously? how does that work?
m
l
July 19, 2010 9:34:15 PM

Good question, as I would really like to know :) 

I changed 4 of 5 fans ( top & front ) to ULNA cables, and now the system is SUPER quiet, and temps are exactly the same, which means that my current cooling set up is way overkill, since I'm still running stock.

I do plan on overclocking to 4.0, and thus the cooling set up, but are you saying toggling will shorten the life of the components, how so? Which components specifically, beyond the CPU....

m
l
July 19, 2010 10:21:46 PM

Somebody_007 said:
seriously? how does that work?

That i do not know.. :lol:  ..probably if you exceed the thermal/voltage limits it will, in time, if you go up and dawn the scale..

Personally i never got worried about mine. ..the irony.. :pfff: 

Aint going to post about this matter, let others help you here because it might turn into a long discussion.
m
l
July 19, 2010 10:31:28 PM

I'm sorry... doesn't anyone else think the temps are a "little" high for a stock i7-930 with one of the best coolers you can buy?? Granted they are with in safe limits but seem high at idle speeds. kg2010... What did you get for temps after 2 hours of running Prime95?

I'm running my i7-920 DO at 3.4 with a Xigmatek S1283V Dark Knight and run idle at 37 on two cores and 34 on the other two cores. Granted my ambient room temps might be lower but the rest of your system temps seem close to mine?

Just wondering :whistle: 
m
l
July 19, 2010 10:41:02 PM

wow you have a nearly identical build to mine, except i have a 920 and a gtx 470
m
l
July 19, 2010 11:37:24 PM

I haven't really ran prime95 yet, when I did run it for about an hour, they were around 60 Degrees. A 20 degree jump, is that normal?

That's why I posted my temps, I'm wondering if the thermal paste is on properly....

I just started Prime95, and here are the temps

My memory hasn't been optimized, and I haven't touched anything in the BIOS
m
l
July 19, 2010 11:38:03 PM

dan4patriots said:
wow you have a nearly identical build to mine, except i have a 920 and a gtx 470

Sweet, we're gonna be even more identical builds soon when I get the GTX 460. :) 
m
l
July 20, 2010 1:51:39 AM

Ok - after 2 hours of running prime 95, here are my temps - they are stable, and not moving one way or another - thoughts?

m
l
July 20, 2010 2:19:32 AM

Solid temps, so your system looks good under Prime95 after 2 hours. I won't worry any more about your temps unless you see a good increase or receive random BSOD that could be heat related symptoms.
m
l
July 20, 2010 2:20:56 AM

GREAT - they are stable here, they haven't gone up or down.

When I overclock to say 4.0 - what kind of temps should I expect?
m
l
July 20, 2010 8:50:13 AM

I get the exact same temps with my d14 ;) 
m
l
July 20, 2010 7:41:02 PM

Somebody_007 said:
I get the exact same temps with my d14 ;) 

Good to know! I was considering redoing the thermal paste
m
l
July 22, 2010 12:21:54 AM

dan4patriots said:

Is your CPU overclocked? If so - what settings did you use? I know you have a 920 and all - but just wondering if you got the RAM down to 7-7-7-24n timings.
m
l
July 22, 2010 12:32:41 AM

not yet, i got a different set of ram- corsair xms3 1600 cl7
m
l
July 22, 2010 12:52:37 AM

ok cool - that's the RAM I had originally - but then a buddy of mine sold me this RAM for $130 - couldn't pass up the deal ;) 
m
l
July 22, 2010 12:44:18 PM

awesome build mate and awesome cable management too [:isamuelson:9]
m
l
July 22, 2010 1:25:36 PM

Very nice build there kg2010...And really good cable management...
Too bad you had to spend more on the fans than the case itself...dint know you were so specific about the cooling and noise else would have suggested something good...but anyways it seems that the build has turned out very well...
Good work...
m
l
July 22, 2010 3:27:56 PM

mrhoshos96 said:
awesome build mate and awesome cable management too [:isamuelson:9]

THANKS! Babachoo's thread really inspired me.

gkay09 said:
Very nice build there kg2010...And really good cable management...
Too bad you had to spend more on the fans than the case itself...dint know you were so specific about the cooling and noise else would have suggested something good...but anyways it seems that the build has turned out very well...
Good work...

Thanks Gkay,

You and Alvin really helped me out a LOT, and I appreciate all your help, and suggestions you made.

Since this was my 1st build in 7 years, I was not aware about the case fans, and all that stuff, and you You guys really brought me up to date with everything in a short period of time. I wasn't aware of my picky needs either until it came closer to putting the build together.

I got the case way too early on, and by the time I learned about all these other little cooling elements, I wasn't able to return it, so I made the best of the situation - live and learn right? ;) 

My budget was also higher than I had stated, and your suggestions had reflected to fit within the $1500 budget, so, you guys did well.

Now that you know my picky needs, which case would've been more suited?

I'm sure I could sell the CM 690 II and rebuild if necessary, if it'd truly be worth it, I'm also considering going to home depot and getting some sort of insulating foam to put inside the front side panel of the case to absorb the noise, kinda like what some Lian Li cases have.

Don't get me wrong, the build is pretty quiet, but it could be quieter. :) 
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:38:35 AM

Whoa - I just lowered my temps - and LOWERED the noise levels coming from the computer.

I went to Home Depot and got Reflectix Spiral Pipe wrap, and taped it all inside the case - I did this so this insulation would absorb some of the sounds coming from the coputer - and in the process it actually lowered temps! BONUS

m
l
!