Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Re-using Old Hardrive

Last response: in Storage
September 21, 2012 3:30:01 PM

My old hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB 7200rpm 8MB Cache SATA-300. It has:
  • Microsoft Office 2007
  • Windows Vista OEM upgraded to Windows 7 Professional (free college download) 32bit

My new hard drives are: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) & Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb. The SSD will be used for my new Win 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM and other major programs I am getting for new rig.

My new motherboard is ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. I'm not sure if it will even hook up to old hard drive.

My main questions are:

1. Will I be able to re-use my old hard drive as an extra for my new system?
    2. Will the Win7 professional 32bit hard drive work within my new Win7 home premium 64bit system?
    3. Will I be able to run Microsoft Office off of my old hard drive (or do I need to purchase a new one?)
    4. Will my old Norton Antivirus interfere with my new system's antivirus (if I have to get a new one)?

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me.
  • More about : hardrive

Best solution

a c 324 G Storage
    September 21, 2012 5:37:36 PM

You can use the old drive for your new system for additional storage but you will need to reinstall the programs so will need to purchase new copies if you no longer have the install disks or no longer qualify for their use.

The best thing to do is to take all the data off the old drive and reformat it. When you build your new system install Windows with only the SSD attached so the SRP ends up on the SSD.
    September 21, 2012 6:27:23 PM

Haha, I did the exact same thing with the same hard drive. It works great.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    September 22, 2012 1:23:44 AM

Best answer selected by JohnOrsega.
    m
    l
    September 22, 2012 1:24:00 AM

Thanks a ton for your responses. Helped a lot.
    m
    l
    !