Asus p5bw-la manual

sej FL

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I have an HP m8120n with ASUS P5BW-LA motherboard. CPU is making beeping noise... 2 shorts, 1 long. Can you direct me to a resource to ID the issue?

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

The 1 Long + 2 Short indicates a GPU problem ; try another GPU. Also, a weak PSU can sometimes cause the problem, but it typically is the GPU. Also, if there's a TV Card then try booting without it and if your PC has an IGPU {Integrated GPU} try only that as the video ot and remove any added GPU.

HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8120n http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3440615

Solution

sej FL

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Thank you very much. Dead tired tonight, but will try after work tomorrow.

sej FL

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

You were correct on video card issue. Thank you so much for the reply. I have two nearly identical HP PCs. I swapped the cards out and it worked like a charm. Had a little more problem when I tried replacing the card with one purchased at Best Buy. Though it said it needed a minimum power rating of 300 watts ( which it what the PCs have) it would not display. I upgraded power supply to 500W. Never been that deep into a computer before. I got it done and both are working now. It turned into an interesting weekend. Thanks