How can I protect my HDD against dirty power?

fasihxkhatib

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Dirty Power flows through the lines in my country. Spikes, surges and sags are quite common and so are power failures.
I believe that dirty power was the reason why my Seagate HDD failed in the first place.
So, after having done my homework I arrived at the conclusion that I need to buy a UPS thatw ill give me some line and load regulation and protect my HDD and laptop.

In case of power failures, the backup inverter kicks in which basically converts DC stored in a battery to AC. The problem is that it supplies 300V at 50Hz while the normal voltage required is 220V at 50Hz.
Will the line regulation provided by UPS be of any use here? The backup invertor kicks in real quick and starts supplying the 300V.

What do I do? Buy a UPS for line and load regulation and spike/surge/sag protection or not?

PS: The sags take the voltage down to 180V or so and surge goes to 230V. Fluctuations are present like oxygen even as i type.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

You should purchase a UPS, that has 220V input and output, that has automatic trim and boost features that adjust automatically for overvoltage and undervoltage, and of course for power outage, and power surges.

APC makes several models for 220V with those features. Here is just one that is of adequate size for home computer use, with those features. There are other manufacturers with similar products. All the specs are available online

APC220Back-UPS_zpsb6c4bf72.png

When your power is not reliable, a UPS is mandatory to protect sensitive 1 -5 Volt electronic products from power outages, surges, overvoltage and brownouts.

I have an APC USP on every computer in my home, and at least once a day it comes on momentarily as the power company switches to a slightly higher voltage anticipating power usage for the workday. It works during brownouts, and of course power outages. It gives you ample time to shut your computer down for prolonged power outages, without damage to any equipment.

fasihxkhatib

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

How about when the 300V invertor kicks in during power outage to supply electricity to the house?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

I wouldl guess the UPS will see the overvoltage as just that, and adjust it down to 220 V. That has nothing to do with the battery in the UPS that takes over with a power outage, it is an electronic voltage regulation component built in to the unit.

Different UPS's have different features. You want one for power outage battery backup, surge protection, overvoltage protection, and undervoltage protection.

I would call APC in your country to get the model #'s that meet your needs.

fasihxkhatib

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

The voltage drops as you start connecting load across it.

You say that the "inverter kicks in during power outage to supply electricity to the house". Do you mean to say that you have one massive inverter than supplies every circuit in the house???

Have you considered using a battery powered device such as a laptop in preference to a desktop? That would provide a level of immunity to dirty power.

BTW, did you ever use incandescent bulbs with your inverter, and did these blow when it kicked in?

fasihxkhatib

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

I do not use incandescent bulbs, CFL lighting only.
Also, the inverter only supplied to the 5 Ampere line within the house and not to the 15 Ampere one.
And I am using a laptop but i use it while plugged in.

AIUI, nearly all 2.5" drives run off +5VDC power, so the AC line voltage is irrelevant. External 2.5" drives are usually powered from the USB port, so once again AC power is not an issue.

I have only ever seen one 2.5" drive (Seagate Constellation.2, eg ST91000640NS) that was powered from both +5V and +12V.