Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FSP Booster X5 450watt

Last response: in Components
September 16, 2010 3:57:43 PM

I was looking for peoples opinions, I got a second 4870x2 for extremely cheap and I went in knowing that I didn't have a big enough power supply at 850 watts for quad-fire. I thought that I was going to have enough money to get a nice 1200 watt power supply soon, but things fell though and now I am sitting here with an extra 4870x2 that I really want in my system, I was looking around when I saw this 5.25in FSP Booster X5 and thought it might do the trick for a price I could afford.

I guess my questions are is it powerful enough for a 4870x2?, is it worth the $70 or should I just wait it out?, or is there an alternative similar that anyone knows of for around the same price or cheaper?

My system spec:
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
6gb ram
Asus P6t Deluxe
4 Hard Drive 1TB or bigger
Cooler Master HAF X
Corsair TX850
4870x2

More about : fsp booster 450watt

September 16, 2010 8:08:27 PM

I think you are mistaken cause the 475watt is for 2 4870's in crossfire not 2 4870x2's in crossfire, because I tested my PC's power pull from the wall with a Kill a Watt and it was 740 watts at max before my computer shut off.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 16, 2010 8:22:55 PM

I'd agree with ct1615 here that the TX850 would be sufficient. Following that techspot review the 4870 X2 pulls 462W. But this applies to the whole system and not just the graphics card. When you consider what the 4870 X2 pulls by itself and then add this onto the total system power consumption, you're still below the 850W that your current PSU is rated at. Add to this the fact that the Corsair TX850 is a very high quality unit and I'd say your current system can handle it.

It sounds like you have tried this already though? You said you measured 740W from the wall before your system shut off? A TX850 should easily handle 740W long before any safety cut-offs occur. The 4870 X2's in particular are known to generate a lot of heat at load. Were you keeping an eye on your temps at the same time? This may have been the reason your system shut off, not because of a lack of power.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
September 16, 2010 8:31:59 PM

heavy_metal said:
I think you are mistaken cause the 475watt is for 2 4870's in crossfire not 2 4870x2's in crossfire, because I tested my PC's power pull from the wall with a Kill a Watt and it was 740 watts at max before my computer shut off.

what where you doing that your PC pulled 740w with a single 4870x2? it can't be a real world scenario. That system should not break 500w.
m
l
September 16, 2010 9:35:56 PM

moody89 said:
I'd agree with ct1615 here that the TX850 would be sufficient. Following that techspot review the 4870 X2 pulls 462W. But this applies to the whole system and not just the graphics card. When you consider what the 4870 X2 pulls by itself and then add this onto the total system power consumption, you're still below the 850W that your current PSU is rated at. Add to this the fact that the Corsair TX850 is a very high quality unit and I'd say your current system can handle it.

It sounds like you have tried this already though? You said you measured 740W from the wall before your system shut off? A TX850 should easily handle 740W long before any safety cut-offs occur. The 4870 X2's in particular are known to generate a lot of heat at load. Were you keeping an eye on your temps at the same time? This may have been the reason your system shut off, not because of a lack of power.

I was monitoring temps they were all within spec tho only thing it could have been besides power supply issue was drivers but I changed those a few times, and I stopped having issues when I took out one of the 4870x2's. I tried using my 850 watt for both, but I was having issues that is why I am considering the Booster.
m
l
September 16, 2010 9:36:55 PM

ct1615 said:
what where you doing that your PC pulled 740w with a single 4870x2? it can't be a real world scenario. That system should not break 500w.

I was pulling 740 with both not one I am sorry I confused you there.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 16, 2010 10:16:44 PM

I'm not sure what that Booster thing is to be completely honest but I don't like the sound of it, maybe it's just me. Even if your system pulls 740W the TX850 should be able to handle it easily. What I would suggest is swapping your 4870s and try each of them one at a time. Perform a stress test on each card when it's installed. This will rule out (or identify) a faulty card before you spend money unnecessarily. Post back and let us know how you get on.
September 16, 2010 10:30:25 PM

I have the ePower Juice box 450 powering my HD4870x2. Its a 5.25" power supply just like the FPS booster.

So yes it will power it no problem
m
l
September 17, 2010 3:51:18 AM

moody89 said:
I'm not sure what that Booster thing is to be completely honest but I don't like the sound of it, maybe it's just me. Even if your system pulls 740W the TX850 should be able to handle it easily. What I would suggest is swapping your 4870s and try each of them one at a time. Perform a stress test on each card when it's installed. This will rule out (or identify) a faulty card before you spend money unnecessarily. Post back and let us know how you get on.

So I pulled out the other 4870x2 and tested each one they both worked fine, so I decided to just though them both in a uninstall all ATI software and drivers and start with new 10.9 drivers and they actually seem to work and I am not getting random blue screens or shutdowns or anything anymore. I think that it might have just be a bad install of driver or something that was giving me random issues that seemed more like power issues. Because the dump files and windows errors or nothing pointed to bad drivers.
m
l
September 17, 2010 3:51:42 AM

Best answer selected by heavy_metal.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 17, 2010 6:51:16 AM

Glad you got to the bottom of the problem! Driver issues are also fairly common, particularly in newer OS's like Windows 7. They can often give blue screenss or other stability issues.
m
l
September 17, 2010 6:27:30 PM

moody89 said:
Glad you got to the bottom of the problem! Driver issues are also fairly common, particularly in newer OS's like Windows 7. They can often give blue screenss or other stability issues.

Yeah I know that I just had never had driver issues like these but it is good to know that it was something for free that could fix it and thanks for the advice.
m
l
!