Yourrid

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys, this is my first post to this forum and I hope you all can help me.

I have an old laptop hard drive I am trying to connect to my desktop to get some valuable documents off of and I am having a ton of trouble I have done this before with other laptop hard drives by way of an adapter and using my IDE header connector which was connected to my disk drive, but this one seems a little harder to get to work.

I have an ASUS P5N-E motherboard and I am trying to connect an old Hitachi DK23EA-20 model hard drive to it. Here is what I have done so far:

Connected the drive as usual (same way I have done with other drives)
Windows boots using my old hard drive (Vista x64)
Windows says the new drive installs correctly, but it never shows on my computer
Device Manager > Uninstall Hitachi HD > Scan for hardware changes > Installs fine > still nothing
My Computer > Right-Click > Manage > Disk Management > Initialize Disk > (Used Both MBR & GPT partition styles) > Says I/O device error
Went to BIOS, has it listed correctly as if it were working
Tried to boot to it using the boot sequence, nothing.
Removed my working hard drive and tried to boot using only the Hitachi HD and it comes up saying "Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter"

Aside from formatting the hard drive, which would defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish, how can I get this drive to work properly? Or at least copy its contents over to a working hard drive?

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

How is your current system HDD setup, i.e. is it Sata or IDE
On what IDE controller are you using, is it shared with the optical drive?
How is the IDE HDD jumpered for, standalone, shared, master etc..?

I had a similar issue and decided to take the easy way out. I simply went out and got myself one of the these:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Works like a charm.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hio there,

the IDE - USB converte Elmo recommended is great.

One thing you might do, is with the old Hitachi connected to your laptop, go to Disk Management, and upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box so we could see exactly why these products don't seem to like each other. The lower graphical area is most important.

Was this Hatachi an old system disk for another computer, or just a data disk. Also was it used on a Win-XP or earlier computer. Lastly, is your laptop, or other desktop you could attach it to, a Win-Vista or Win-7 machine.

TRENDING THREADS