Power supply upgrade

G

I7 920 3.2ghz
9 gigs of ram.
1 TB Hard Drive
Gtx 260 want to upgrade to a gtx 460/470

Planning on upgrading my gtx 260 to a gtx 460 or 470. I currently have a 500w Delta power supply. I was told on the Graphics forum i should upgrade my PSU first before purchasing a new card. I am wondering which PSU between these two should i buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003&cm_re=XFX-_-17-207-003-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL091610&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL091610-_-EMC-091610-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17139011-L01D

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
nVidia recommend at least a 450W unit for the GTX 460 and at least a 550W unit for the GTX 470.

If it were me, I'd upgrade the PSU since Delta don't have the reputation for producing quality PSUs that other manufacturer's do. In a rig like yours you wouldn't want a weak PSU letting you down.

Both of the units you linked to are good, reliable units. Corsair, Seasonic and the newer Antec models are usually the ones I recommend - you know you're safe almost every time with these.

Something like the Corsair 550VX would suit your needs, however you may want to get a higher wattage unit for a bit of headroom if you have the money to spend. Corsair also do a 650TX or a 650HX (which has modular cabling) and both are great units. If you want to go top dollar, the Seasonic 650-X is a very reliable unit that has modular cabling and has achieved an 80+ Gold Certification for efficiency.

All of the PSUs I have mentioned above come with at least a five year warranty.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Yes I am more than aware that they are brand names and that the actual PSUs are manufactured by another company. Delta PSUs are not as common here in the UK and from my experience are mostly included in Dell systems hence the reason I assumed they were another OEM PSU that are generally of poor quality. My mistake and I apologise - I always do my best to ensure my 'opinion' is informed before making a post, otherwise it's just that, opinion. But nobody's perfect and I'm here for the exact same reason everyone else is and that's to contribute and continue learning myself.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA). Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the newer Antec power supplies.