visionholder

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I'm upgrading my system, and I would appreciate recommendations for a UPS to meet my needs. The system is a I7 920 2.66 GHz with 6GB of memory, 3 HDs (2 high speed), 2 DVD drives, a high-end graphics card running off a 850W PS. I also have a 24" LCD display, a cable modem, and a wireless router I want to put on the UPS.

My old system was running on a APC Back-UPS LS 500. Will my new configuration be too much for it? If so, what would be a good product?

visionholder

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

Well, to answer my own question (in a way), the system with 850W power supply isn't overloading the battery, and to help ensure fewer problems, I've attached my external hard drive and speakers to a separate TrippLite surge suppressor. Everything's running fine so far!

visionholder

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Another update: My system runs fine on the existing UPS until I start to do anything graphics-intensive, such as playing a game, at which point I start to overload the UPS. I've spoken with APC about picking the right UPS upgrade, and it looks like I'll need a Smart-UPS 1500 at the very least (for basic battery backup when not gaming). If I want the UPS to handle switching to battery when the graphics card is sucking power, I'll need a Smart-UPS 2200.

Hope this helps anyone else who's in the same boat.