fonziebear

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I'm helping a friend of mine deal with some computer related trouble. I'm doing this since I built his system in the first place. First off some background...

Couple weeks ago, I found out the CPU was overheating. After finding this out, the system was left on for a couple hours unsupervised. The computer was found with the power off and we were unable to power the system back up. No fans, lights, beeps. I checked under the CPU but I did not see any burn marks. I assumed that both the CPU and MB were fried.

A new MB and CPU were purchased from Newegg (Intel E6500 & BIOSTAR G31D-M7) The system still retains two sticks of ram, a Zotec Geforece 9800GT, a pair of IDE/PATA hard drives, pair of PATA media drives, and a Floppy.

My friend installed the MB and CPU but unfortunately the system still wont power on although the CPU fan briefly spins.

I decided to test the Power supply by unplugging the current 400W Dynex and plugging in my 250W Power Q. I was not able to power the video card, which requires a 3x2 plug, since my power supply doesn't have that connector. Hooked Up dvd drives and hard drives. System powered up fine for the 250W.

Switched back to the 400W and nothing. Started unplugging components so that the two MB connections remained. Attempted again, fans started(remaining on) and system beeped. powered down, hooked up a HDD, powered on, CPU fan twitched only).

I tested this a couple times for both PS and verified the settings for the PS. I assumed bad PS.

Friend bought new Dynex 400W, hooked up same problem.

Im running out of ideas, if anyone could help id appreciate it.

fonziebear

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Thanks for all the help, turned out it was the video card. Bought a psu from best buy and it did nothing, but made me realize what the problem was. Oddly enough, even though going somewhere past 80C unattended, neither the cpu or mb were harmed.