Solved

Should I upgrade an eMachines Desktop?

Hi, the name's Ernie and I am new to this forum. I recently became Comptia A+ certified with the help of my uncle who instructed the course at a learning center. I was given a free computer for my attendance and having the best score on the exams. I was expecting something more than an eMachines ET1831-05 but beggars cant be choosers :sarcastic: . I already have a decent laptop so I have no need for this computer at the moment. I regularly game on my laptop but my specs aren't great so I cannot run games at the settings that I would prefer. With CIV V coming out in September, I really want a PC that can handle it and run it well. The specs of the eMachines desktop are:

* 2.2GHz Intel Celeron 450 Processor
* 3GB DDR2 Memory
* 500GB SATA Hard Drive; 16X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive
* NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Integrated Graphics
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

What I am wondering is if it is possible to upgrade desktop so that it becomes a fairly decent gaming PC. I would like to upgrade the processor and buy a decent video card. I can always sell it, if you determine that I will be better off building my own computer instead of upgrading this one. Budget isn't an issue but if I have to spend a lot to upgrade this computer, I rather sell it and build a gaming computer from scratch. Any recommendations will be appreciated, as well as any other opinions/suggestions on what I already had in mind.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should upgrade emachines desktop
  1. You will be better off building your own PC, simply because of the fact that you might not be able to upgrade the Celeron 450, which will be a REAL bottleneck on an upgraded GPU.
  2. Best answer
    I would sell it. In my opinion, not really impressed with eMachines. A friend of mine loves them, but the one that I looked at this weekend, it was about 2-3 years old, had a celeron, but man, most of the parts were low end in my opinion, used an ecs board, power supply only had about 15 amps on the 12v+ rail, and the board was failed. Not impressed.
  3. Thanks for the replies. I already have it on craigslist, hoping I can get at least 150 for it.
  4. Best answer selected by ultimatezero.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Computer eMachines Systems