Jun 3, 2010
CPU- Amd athlon2 X2 245

Video card-Xfx radeon hd 5770

Ram-4gigs DDR3 Ocz gold edition

HD-320gig WD cavier blue

PSU-500watt antec earthwatts

case-antec sonata 3

optical drive-LG Dvd drive

windows Xp professinal (3.20 gigs of ram avalibe)

motherboard gigabyte GAMA785G UD2H

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Depends what you want. If you are willing to wait a while, do that. But honestly, I was even running an Athlon x2(older socket am2 dual core) with vista, 2 gb of memory, and a 9600gt, and it's actually still decent at games. Or if you wanted, you could look at a higher clocked Athlon II quad core as well.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Well, SC2 is coming out shortly. I'd say go ahead and grab windows 7, then grab your copy of SC2, give it a try and see how well it runs, then make a decision from there.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=26242

There are the system requirements for the beta. But I'd say upgrade windows now, then give it a spin and see what you think. You might be suprised how well it runs. Like I picked up Napoleon total war and empire total war, and even with only 2 gb of memory, I was suprised how good they run. Keep in mind I'm still using vista, which is not as optimized as windows 7.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
It appears so, except that you are running XP for now. The nice thing for you, is since XP only direct x 9, when you go to windows 7, you will actually be able to use your card for dx10 and dx11, which there does seem to be a bit of difference.

1st upgrade - CPU cooler and a good overclock. When you upgrade your CPU later you can continue to use this CPU cooler so make it a good one, that fits in your case of course :D

2nd Upgrade - Good case fans, assuming you haven't installed case fans in all the available positions, for better air flow. May allow you to raise your OC a little and OC your 5770

3rd Upgrade -1tb (or more) 7200RPM Hard Drive. While it won't improve Game performance directly it will cut down on load times and boot times. By then you may be finding your 320 is running out of space if you install alot of games :D.

4th Win 7, or 8 if it takes you that long :D. Time to be gaming in DX10/11 rather than 9.

5th well by the time you get around to this new stuff will be out so if you need to upgrade your CPU or GPU will depend on the games you play and what's out.