Setup Won't Start Windows 2000 or XP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 9, 2004 1:06:37 PM

Hello...

I have tried installing Win2k on the notebook but unfortunately... the
setup will just hang at the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" screen.

Any ideas what's goin on???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 9, 2004 7:35:07 PM

>Hello...
>
>I have tried installing Win2k on the notebook but unfortunately... the
>setup will just hang at the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" screen.
>
>Any ideas what's goin on???

Dodgy RAM can cause that. If you have two sticks, remove one. If only
one stick then try it in the other slot. After the install add the
other stick agian if that applies.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 5:03:22 AM

I've tried that...... its still the same......stuck at the
setup......

anymore ideas?
a b D Laptop
November 14, 2004 12:16:55 PM

On or about 11/9/2004 10:06 AM, it came to pass that LancerEvo wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I have tried installing Win2k on the notebook but unfortunately... the
> setup will just hang at the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" screen.
>
> Any ideas what's goin on???

It may help if you post the notebook's details such as:
Make, model, amount of memory, hard drive size and model and what if anything is
running on it now.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 15, 2004 9:01:59 AM

Clevo Prestigio 2800T
Intel Celeron 950MHZ
SiS 630ST Chipset
256MB SD RAM
40GB 5400 RPM HITACHI HDD

Wat else do u need to know?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 24, 2004 1:19:00 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:16:55 -0500, arnb <arnbRemoveThis@Arnb.org>
wrote:

Original posts from another plebe - found on Google.
====================================
Subject: Setup Won't Start Windows 2000 or XP
From: lancerevo@rediffmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (LancerEvo)
Date: 9 Nov 2004 10:06:37 -0500

Hello...

From: lancerevo@rediffmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (LancerEvo)
Date: 15 Nov 2004 06:01:59 -0500

Clevo Prestigio 2800T
Intel Celeron 950MHZ
SiS 630ST Chipset
256MB SD RAM
40GB 5400 RPM HITACHI HDD

Wat else do u need to know?

>It may help if you post the notebook's details such as:
>Make, model, amount of memory, hard drive size and model and what if anything is
>running on it now.

Hi,
Similar problem here.
Loaded XP-Pro SP1 to the 2700T machine (10GB Hitachi HDD badged as an
Excel Notebook-128MB SDRAm PC100) in April04.
System hung when installing from CD.
Ran <winnt.exe> from ..//I386 when mounted on D:\ and installed XP-Pro
SP1 fine.
Ran the OS..ok, maybe a little slow on some bloated apps.

Now trying to load XP-Pro SP2 with resultant system hang at no
particular stage (erratic). Increased RAM to 256MB and CD install is
now possible but hangs at "Saving Settings" stage. Sometimes at "9
minutes to go" but most often at "<2 minutes to go"..piss you orf eh?
The RAM sticks have been tested in another machine and report/work
fine.
The CD bay has always been "dicky" but the fault is not consistent and
also occurs when installing from HDD copy of ..//I386 so whilst the
CD bay is maybe suspect per se , I should discount it as the culprit?

Hey! its Xmas..drag the brain cells over here;->

thanks

SIB4
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2005 6:36:42 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:19:00 +0930, seenIT-B4 <seenIT-B4@somuch.2.do>
wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:16:55 -0500, arnb <arnbRemoveThis@Arnb.org>
>wrote:
>
>Original posts from another plebe - found on Google.
>====================================
>Subject: Setup Won't Start Windows 2000 or XP
>From: lancerevo@rediffmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (LancerEvo)
>Date: 9 Nov 2004 10:06:37 -0500
>
>Hello...
>
>I have tried installing Win2k on the notebook but unfortunately... the
>setup will just hang at the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" screen.
>
>Any ideas what's goin on???
>
>From: lancerevo@rediffmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (LancerEvo)
>Date: 15 Nov 2004 06:01:59 -0500
>
>Clevo Prestigio 2800T
>Intel Celeron 950MHZ
>SiS 630ST Chipset
>256MB SD RAM
>40GB 5400 RPM HITACHI HDD
>
>Wat else do u need to know?
>>
>>It may help if you post the notebook's details such as:
>>Make, model, amount of memory, hard drive size and model and what if anything is
>>running on it now.
>>

>Hi,
>Similar problem here.
>Loaded XP-Pro SP1 to the 2700T machine (10GB Hitachi HDD badged as an
>Excel Notebook-128MB SDRAm PC100) in April04.
>System hung when installing from CD.
>Ran <winnt.exe> from ..//I386 when mounted on D:\ and installed XP-Pro
>SP1 fine.
>Ran the OS..ok, maybe a little slow on some bloated apps.
>
>Now trying to load XP-Pro SP2 with resultant system hang at no
>particular stage (erratic). Increased RAM to 256MB and CD install is
>now possible but hangs at "Saving Settings" stage. Sometimes at "9
>minutes to go" but most often at "<2 minutes to go"..piss you orf eh?
>The RAM sticks have been tested in another machine and report/work
>fine.
>The CD bay has always been "dicky" but the fault is not consistent and
>also occurs when installing from HDD copy of ..//I386 so whilst the
>CD bay is maybe suspect per se , I should discount it as the culprit?
>
>Hey! its Xmas..drag the brain cells over here;->
>
>thanks
>
>SIB4

Problem solved.
The "fault" is down to Clevo..WHO are not at all helpful with
anything. Refuse to answer any probing question, at all.
Seems Clevo pulls a fast one with some setups?
This machine is overclocked at Factory settings and maybe runs fine in
its delivered format. But try giving the machine more work than that
0r run a ram hungry setup in ambient conditions that are >30deg
Celsius and you have this intermittent "stall" problem.
The fix was to return the machine to "Factory Setup" and sell it.

Hope it helps someone.

SIB4
!