Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I hook up my case fans (HAF922) :(

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2010 4:27:01 AM

This feels a bit embarrassing to ask, but I'm gotten to the point of doing the wiring for my first computer, and I'm kind of stuck as to the proper way to connect my fans.

I have the HAF 922 which has 3 Fans:

1. Intake Fan on the front panel.

2. Rear Outtake fan on the backside.

3. Outtake Fan on the top, above the mobo.

The input wiring for all of them are for 3 pronged inputs (black yellow and red wiring).

I have a ASUS 890GTD PRO mobo which has three connections/sockets for fans (not counting the heatsink fan):

1. PWR_Fan (3 prong)

2. CHA_FAN1 (3 Prong)

3. CHA_FAN2 (4 Prong)

Which fans should I connect to which, and even though all of my fans are wired for 3 prongs, should I still attach one of them to the 4 pronged CHA_FAN2?

More about : hook case fans haf922

a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2010 5:26:48 AM

Doesn't really matter... unless I'm missing something lol. The 4 prong just means if you have a 4 pin fan the motherboard will control the fan through PWM.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2010 7:35:43 AM

Or you could ignore all of the mobo fan headers entirely. Then, you'd just use the adapters and a bunch of regular molex plugs from the power supply. That's how mine in that case is set up, partially because my mobo only has the one case fan plug and partially to keep as few wires as possible on that side of the computer.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 18, 2010 7:44:21 PM

If your board is similar to my Asus P5B-E, the CHA1 and CHA2 will allow you to control the fan speed, while the PWR header will run at full speed all the time. So, if you want to reduce fan noise you could hook up one of the rear fans (presumably further from where you sit and less of a concern for noise) to the PWR header to run full speed all the time, while hooking up the other two fans to the CHA1 and CHA2 headers, allowing you to control the fan speed if you choose to.

As Lmeow stated, the 4 prong header is for fan speed control using pulse-width modulation. It is fine to hook up a 3 pin fan to it - you won't be able to use PWM to control the fan speed, but I would imagine you'd still be able to control it the old fashioned way, by reducing the output voltage from 12V to something lower for a slower fan speed.

I personally use Speedfan to control my fan speeds.

Good luck!
July 19, 2010 11:02:58 AM

Best answer selected by omgwtflolbbqbye.
m
l
!