September 16, 2010 10:21:25 PM

Windows7
i7 920 (original) w/ stock heatsink
9800 GTX+
Corsair TX750 PSU
evga x58 SLI MB
6gb ddr3 OCZ gold
500 gb Seagate

I've had a sudden problem with overheating. I've finally controlled it by reappling thermal and cleaning but its still very hot at 86C. I believe more than less there is a hardware problem because I dont understand the sudden increase in temp. I'm asking what I should do to test what is wrong instead of wasting money to fix the problem. I am assuming the heatsink would be the major issue, but it is defintly removing heat and running at 100%. I've checked and cleaned it. It is indeed stock. I run my computer often, overnight typically and have done so more than less the past 1.5yrs I had it. I am experiencing harddrive errors which I'm shortly about to fix with Seatools but I doubt this is the reason for these temps. Basically how do I test or figure out my problem for the temp. Obv I need a new heatsink but 86C? Is a stock heatsink really the cause for this? And if not what is?

More about : overheat problem

a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 10:32:11 PM

You're right that with those sort of temperatures at idle the heatsink is likely to be the issue here. When you say you remove the heatsink, clean and re-apply thermal paste, how do you clean and re-apply etc?

Isopropyl alcohol is best used to clean old thermal paste - the higher concentrate the better. For applying thermal paste the 'blob in the middle' method is generally the most straightforward and foolproof method so try this.

When you reinstall the heatsink, ensure you have good, solid and even pressure along the CPU heatspreader. It is often best to secure the pins in opposites - lock one and then do the opposite one instead of working around each in turn.

You may have a bad heatsink and fan unit but you also cannot rule out the possibilty of a faulty temperature sensor. 86C is very hot and you should be able to feel this heat if it actually is that hot. I wouldn't touch anything with the power on but when you remove the PSU from the mains, touch the heatsink and it should still be hot.

Try the above and let us know how you get on. Good luck!
m
l
September 16, 2010 10:54:27 PM

I removed the thermal paste with something called ArctiClean its a thermal paste remover and also purifer. It does a good job with things I've done in the past but maybe its worth trying more concentrated solution. Applying I used a flat card simular to a credit card to get a smooth equally spread paste. Again maybe not the best. I'm going to order a new heatsink despite any case because its been a priority since I built it, but I never bothered since I dont OC.

What do you mean by faulty temperature sensor? My motherboard CPU temp reader says 84, and it has yet to change I dont know why. I also ran SpeedFan which is saying my processor is 75-95 on all cores. Im not sure what a temp sensor is though. As far as the heatsink goes it is indeed taking away hot air and also the CPU defintly does NOT feel like 84C at all. Its warm, not hot. and if it were hot as it says I'd expect shutdown at POST.

Please reillustrate what you might think it is.

Thanks moody89, great help!
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2010 11:00:12 PM

I guess its also a good idea to also reelaborate on the fact my motherboard CPU temp reader consistantly says 84. It starts up in POST mode and changes to the regular start up codes and is fine. Then boot up at says 84. Code 84 according to EVGA it means "84 Enable NMI, partiy checker and cache" I'm researching now what that exactly means.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 11:13:14 PM

So as soon as you turn your system on from cold, the BIOS reports the CPU temperature to be 84C? And this temp really varies at all? If your CPU/Heatsink was at 84C you wouldn't be able to touch it without burning yourself. At this point a faulty temperature sensor is a very strong suspect.

In basic terms, you have temperature sensors in various places on most of your system components. They monitor the temperature and report it to your motherboard etc. to control things such as fan speeds and safety cut-offs etc. It's not impossible for one of these sensors (in your case the sensor monitoring CPU temps) to become stuck which seems to be the case here. A BIOS update may fix the problem - these can be obtained from the motherboard manufacturer's website.
m
l