cyphergreen

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hey all.

I've been having some issues with the temperature of my i7 930 CPU. Specs: Asus P6X58D-E, Cooler Master 690 II cabinet (3 chassis fans). I'm using the stock CPU fan and I am not overclocking.

Idle core temps are about 35-40C. When I run Prime95 the cores shoot up to about 85C and I turn it off because I don't want to damage anything. I've read that these temperatures are too high and should be way lower. So far I've tried changing the thermal paste (Arctic Cooling MX-2)... added a small line of the paste across the CPU as per the instructions. Also made sure that the fan is securely in place. All chassis fans are spinning. I have tried changing the fan speeds in the BIOS (set to turbo mode etc), but that didn't make a difference. My room temperature is pretty normal, about 18-20C so that's not the problem. My cabinet has a few wires going across, but is not super cluttered.

I tried playing Bad Company 2 (full settings) for a little over an hour, and Real Temp recorded that the peak temperature was 80C. I really don't want to do any damage, so I'm pretty desperate to get this fixed. :(

Can anybody help?

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Do you know what voltage your CPU is running at? You can check using CPU-Z. The recommended range for the i7 930 is 0.800V-1.375V. If you're not overclocking etc. there's little to no reason for this to beat the upper limit of this range. Sometimes the BIOS automatically sets the voltage higher than it needs to be (it did on my current system). Realistically, about 0.9-1V should be adequate for your CPU.

Failing that, you're pretty much down to swapping the cooler over to see if that makes a difference. Post back and let us know how you get on. Good luck!

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Try re-applying paste and reseating the heatsink, but your temps dont look that bad with the stock cooler, The i7 coolers are not realy enough for the i7 do not try to overclock. I would recomend upgrading the cooler.

If you dont have alot of money than the Hyper 212 is a good cooler.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=hyper_212%2b-_-35-103-065-_-Product

If you have some money the Prolimatec Megahalems is one of the best.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001&Tpk=megahalems

2 Fans for the cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
[:bohleyk:1]

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

@ D1RTYJU1C3, no offense meant but did you read the reviews for those fans? they don't sound too good to me. they seem to have an almost 100% failure rate at 6 months.....I wouldn't touch them to be honest just my 2 cents

cyphergreen

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I'm not planning on overclocking, I just want to make sure that I can play games etc on my computer without overheating. I checked my CPU voltage with CPU-Z and it was 0.944V. When I re-added the thermal paste I was careful not to put too much on the CPU, but I guess I still could have overdone it. It's kinda hard to gauge how much you need on there when you use a line. I know Arctic recommends that you use a line, but could I try the droplet method instead? I'm sure I am attaching the stock fan correctly... all the plastic things are snapped into place behind the motherboard.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I have an i7-930 and the max I experience on my aftermarket cooler is 60 C.

It doesn't take much thermal compound at all, a pea sized amount or so applied appropriately should be more than enough. Personally I applied a small amount to the CPU heat spreader and then a very slight amount to the heatsink. I put the heat sink down lightly, twisted slightly and pulled away to check the coverage was OK, which it was, and then re-applied and I was good.

I had a friend build a new system recently and he forgot to pull the protective cover off the heat sink (aftermarket) and ruined his CPU. I have an i7-930, but I never looked at the heatsink so I can't comment on that.

Doesn't the stock cooler already have compound on the bottom? It's possible you just have too much compound preventing efficient transfer.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Like I said before Iwould purchace an aftermarket cooler even if you are not overclocking for the simple fact that the sock cooler is not enough for even stock setting. Your temps with the stock cooler are at the limits I have seen guys say thier temps never went over 70c in prime95 but find that hard to believe considering 90% of the reviews I read on the stock cooling people were getting 80c-90c load temps and if you have tried everything else a new cooler is the best route to go if you want longevity out of the CPU.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
it is straight forward as long as you follow instructions.. I have seen ppl say it's hard etc but they are the ones who tend not to read them lol

make sure to tighten the center pin BEFORE tightening spring loaded screws ( you will know what i mean when you see it) otherwise you won't get it tight enough

cyphergreen

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Installed my new fan. I'm now seeing load temps of about 58-60C on all cores and about 29-34 at idle. So yeah, a nice improvement. :)

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
If you do decide to OC your i7 930, I am at 1.24vcore, 181x21 - gives 3.8ghz.

My temps are 65-68oC under full load.. went to 72oC the other day, but was my fault, i put some paperwork on the top of the computer, where my CPU exhaust fan is.. Duhhh!! :(