Sign in with
Your question

Controller Card not recognized by Win 7

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2012 4:33:15 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Rosewell RC-215 Controller Card to give myself some extra SATA slots in order to use more HDDs in my computer. I've been unable to get windows to recognize that the card is attached, even after manually going into Add Hardware and forcing the installation of the driver. I have moved the location of the card to another PCI slot with no success. When I reboot my computer I can see the card posting some information after the initial boot screen, however it immediately states "No device found" (or something similar). I've read many forum posts (and the instructions) which have said to use Tab to access the card's bios - this doesn't work. I've also read other key combinations that are supposed to work (such as CTRL-Z, don't ask me why) and they don't work either.

I've flashed the latest version of my motherboard bios to ensure it's up-to-date, however that didn't help at all. I also went into my bios to ensure my motherboard is allowing the OS to discover plug-and-play devices.

Does anyone have any ideas, or any experience with this type of problem?

My motherboard: Biostar TA890FXE
Controller Card: Rosewill RC-215
Problem: Win7 won't recognize Rosewill RC-215 controller card, which I'd like to use to provide more SATA ports so that I can run more HDDs.

Thanks for looking.
a c 311 G Storage
September 22, 2012 8:34:57 AM

I believe your board is based on VIA's VT6421A SATA controller chip.

I don't know if it is any different to the VT6421A, but the VT6421 has several known limitations and problems.

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Sata_via

Of course the above has no bearing on your detection problem, but you might want to ditch the card altogether.

I haven't found a solution, but this post has some ideas:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/sata-adapter-bios-not-...

This thread shows that you're not alone:
http://www.viaarena.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38974
m
l
September 22, 2012 9:18:11 AM

Thanks for the help fzabkar. Yes it is a VT6421ish chip, the Rosewill link says "Chipset VIA 6421" under Specifications. I'll scan over the three pages on the first link and see if I can glean any knowledge from it. Unfortunately the second link is essentially stating that if you own a mobo with a VIA chip in it, the VIA expansion card may conflict with it. I don't believe that's the case with my Biostar TA890FXE, but I'll look into that possibility as well.

It's looking more and more as though I may need to ditch the card all together - it appears it's a very VERY old chip (I found a site which talks about getting it working on Win 95!), it just bums me out that I've spent the cash on it and it just won't work. I bought the card about a year and a half ago, and when I had problems they sent me another... which, looking back on it, doesn't make any sense at all. Now I have two cards that won't work, and no extra SATA slots.
m
l
!