Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How hard is it to build your own computer?

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2010 7:33:43 AM

Hi

I wonder how hard is it to build my own computer from scratch?
Using the same part, it would cost me 115,000 yen (1325us$) (I live in Japan) if i build the computer myself. It will cost me 130,000 ($1500) yen if i order it from BTO shop.

I am not really good when it come to computer.
The most i ever did is changing computer graphic card.
Now i was wondering how hard is it to assemble my own computer compare to changing graphic card?
And will there be a lot of difficulty in assembling?

Thank you for your reply

Edit: My room use tatami mat (japanese straw mat). Do i have to worry about static electricity?

More about : hard build computer

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2010 7:36:24 AM

Go through this and see if anything raises any questions.

It has alot of pictures and explains every single plug and screw. It's not hard, I wish I had built my own instead of getting a prebuilt oh so many years ago.
July 18, 2010 7:50:08 AM

It is not that hard, but it's neither an easy thing, if you venture into doing so I suggest you buy an antistatic wrist wrap, a tube of thermal paste and check on all the manuals that came with your hardware and some video tutorials on how to assemble all of the pieces together.

The hardest thing should be to connect all pieces to the PSU, but then again the motherboard's and graphic cards manual should guide you well through the process.

Here's a basic video, it should suffice to give you an idea on how the process goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDlhcu2yr0

Ganbatte!

.C.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 18, 2010 8:00:05 AM

Right... the hardest part for me would be that manual for some component (probably PSU and Casing) will come in Japanese T T.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2010 9:57:21 AM

It really is not bad, takes time and patience. Your worst part will be lining up the motherboard with the case, and mounting in it inside, that and wiring the front panel. Once you get past those, you mainly are installing everything else as normal.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2010 12:23:48 PM

Manuals for PSU's frequently are multi-lingual. Plus PSU's are pretty simple to use. And any modern motherboard will always have manuals online from manufacturer in English.

There are people here who are great at generating specifications for practically any budget and purpose. Others here are good at helping you troubleshoot in the event that something does go wrong.

And hey. We all had a "first build" at one time or another. For some of us, it was a long time ago.
----------
Building computers since 1977
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
m
l
July 18, 2010 12:56:20 PM

Thank you for your reply.
I guess i will save money and build the computer on my own then.
m
l
July 18, 2010 12:56:32 PM

Best answer selected by Harunatsumi.
m
l
!