deathproof

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hey all, I've been racking my brain and searching the nets about this and cannot find an answers, please help!

Last night I selected "compress this drive to save disk space" on my SSD which had my Win7 install on it.
Things slowed down....to a crawl the following day. So bad that I could not even load Windows and was getting a Cannot find BootMNG error.

Long story short....now I've got Win 7 on my mechanical drive and am trying to use my SSD for other things. But what I cannot figure out is.....see image below.

http://www.airbornegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ssd-issue.png

I only have 31 GB of a 120GB SSD Card available, I've used quick format, searched high and low and cannot find my other files and the old Win 7 install files to erase on my SSD, AHHAHA!?!?

Please help, thanks!

Solution
This may seem like a pain in the butt, but the best thing I could advise from here is to plug the drive into another system and ensure that the drive is actually detectable. If the drive is actually dead and you're unaware of it, no amount of diagnosis will save it. If you can plug it into another system and it's recognized and able to be formatted, you know that your problem resides in your system somewhere.

If no other systems are available I'd try the solution that smorizio posted. I'm unfamiliar with how to do it, but if you could get your drive back to factory settings you'd just need to format it and you'd be done.

tasoli

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Your question is a little hard to decipher: are you trying to save your SSD OS installation? Are you trying to format your SSD and erase all data? Or are you trying to expand your SSD to its 120GB capacity, without losing the data that's on it, and not use it as the OS drive?

For question #1) We'll need a considerably more information than you provided, such as what slowing symptoms caused you to switch to your platter-based HDD, and what did you do to try and fix your SSD OS installation.

For #2) You can use Disk Management (accessible by going to Start and typing "Disk Management", or right clicking on "Computer" and selecting "Manage", then navigating to Storage > Disk Management) and format your drive.

For #3) I recommend downloading MiniTool Partition Wizard (It's free). After running it, right-click on the drive and select "Move/Resize" then drag both arrows away from each other.

deathproof

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Basically I installed win7 on my mechanical drive for now. I don't need to recover anything from my ssd. I only want to have full access to its storage.
Another thing, while trying to fix this I selected under AdminTools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management my SSD and selected "Delete Volume" hoping it would remove it and there would be a way to have it show up again....Now even after a system restore the volume is not recognized......

And I had already tried to format the dive, that's what came up with the pic I posted above.

Also, under my BIOS the SATA Drive is not recognized under SATA 1.....I've moved it to another slot on the MOBO and even changed SATA cables as well.

edit:: The Drive does show up under MiniToolPartition Wizard...I'm checking this out now to see if it can save me, but still need help!

tasoli

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Well if MiniTool Partition doesn't work out I would look in to smorizio's solution. I'm not familiar with it so I can't advise, but it sounds like it may be useful if Mini can't format the drive either. Another thing you may try is removing the connection to the drive all together, booting up into windows, then shutting down and connecting the drive again. Afterwords, try to partition the drive using MiniTool.

Let us know how it goes.

deathproof

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
My initial assessment was a bit off. My SSD has NEVER showed up as a drive after the "incident". The 32GB or drive I saw was actually a partitioned part of my Mechanical drive I set up a few years back and had forgot about.

So I don't know really to go from here, suggestions, ideas?

tasoli

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
This may seem like a pain in the butt, but the best thing I could advise from here is to plug the drive into another system and ensure that the drive is actually detectable. If the drive is actually dead and you're unaware of it, no amount of diagnosis will save it. If you can plug it into another system and it's recognized and able to be formatted, you know that your problem resides in your system somewhere.

If no other systems are available I'd try the solution that smorizio posted. I'm unfamiliar with how to do it, but if you could get your drive back to factory settings you'd just need to format it and you'd be done.

Solution

deathproof

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
@fzabka,

Yes, sadly now I am aware of this 1st hand.

Update: Currently the drive is still not detected on my Win 7 machine or my wife's XP Computer.
The only thing I can think of this this.

http://www.airbornegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/unknown-devices.png

And windows has tried to update a driver for a "device" attached to my computer, but cannot find a driver.
Also this is a Mushkin SSD, and apparently their website has expired and is full of ads, or has been taken over from an outside source.....

I don't know what else to do from here, I'm gonna contact Mushkin Phone Support shortly, let me know if anyone else has any ideas, thanks!

deathproof

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Thanks man, I think this is the right track, unfortantually the Driver linked from their forum is to their website....which is down.
I'll keep checking this back, as well as contacting their customer support Monday, thanks!

deathproof

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Wayback is pretty sweet, unfortunately they didn't cache the driver download page....I'm gonna have to wait for Mushkin to come back online, or contact their customer service, thanks for all your help!

deathproof

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Their site came back online the next business day like I thought, and they are going to send me a replacement, so apparently there is not a way to "fix" it, at least they are willing to replace it, thanks everyone for your help!