MrSethward

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
So, I just built a computer a couple weeks ago, my first build, and have worked through every problem except for one, which is my secondary harddrive (data drive, use SSD for boot). Here is my build, in case it helps:

ASRock Extreme4 Z77 Board
Intel i5 3570k
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Gigabyte GTX670OC
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4)
Patriot Pyro SE 120GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black Harddrive
PC Power and Cooling 950W power supply
Some random DVD drive (sorry haha)
Running Windows 7 Home 64bit

Anyway, back to the problem. I use the Caviar Black drive for data, and made sure to hook it up after installing my OS. Most everything works well with it. I can install games and run them on it with zero problems. I have set it up with my standard Download folder and experience no problem while downloading to the drive either. But if I ever open up my drive folder to look through files, almost every time after 30 seconds to a few minutes, my computer freezes. So for example if I download a PDF onto the drive and go looking it up in the download folder, I meet get through reading the PDF a few sentences and BAM, my computer freezes. Since this doesn't happen when running games that are installed completely on the drive, I assume this is not a problem with accessing the drive? For example, I installed Borderlands 2 from Steam onto the drive and have never had it freeze during or after play. When it does freeze, it is not temporary either, I am forced to restart the computer. Anyway, if anyone can point me in the direction of previous solutions or help me out, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Kridian

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Ah f*ck. I'm about to put together a similar system as you (same motherboard) with an SSD for the OS and a HDD for files. Did you do a BIOS update? What SATA port did you plug the WD Caviar Black into (black or grey)?

MrSethward

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Well, I did a BIOS update and it failed to solve the problem, however I had it connected to the grey SATA ports (in fact, had all four SATA cables plugged into the grey). I then switched the cable to the black, which solved the problem. I thought it should've gone into the grey, but that must've been my problem, so you needn't worry at all! Your build will be just fine! :)