Yellow exclamation point in front of microcode system device

noob_wo_clue

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hello, I'm presently running XP Pro and I'm showing a yellow (!) in front of microcode system device. When I update and/or roll back driver it states that device is working properly and yet still showing (!). Also noticed that some time ago I had someone work on PC and said they where getting no sound from onboard audio after repair. I then noticed on my own that the media player cable was not properly replaced. When I put cable back on I was getting sound from both new sound blaster card and onboard system and then it went back to just sound from card. I guess by now u can tell I'm fairly new @ PC's so I don't really now if the two above issues are seperate or in conflict w/ each other or have anything to do w/ microcode error (!). Any input on this matter would be highly appreciated. Thank you kindly. Gus

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
disable your on board sound all together; if your running better stand alone cards. there is no need for on board audio when you got the stand alone cards. onboard is crappy anyways. the only thing I use it for is to get me by till i can save up for a stand alone audio card, when I do my builds.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Actually, I've found the reverse is true. With sound on modern motherboards, it's more than good enough for gaming. If you're a severe audiophile, you might notice the difference, but most users aren't going to be able to tell the difference. It certainly used to be true that onboard sound wasn't great, but things have improved a lot over the years.

That being said, if you already have the audio card, I agree that you should probably just disable onboard sound. It's quite possible that the onboard and the card could be conflicting. The card should disable onboard, but there can be problems with that being detected properly.

Where do you have your speakers plugged into?