Why is 4 gbs usable out of 8 gbs

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I recently upgraded my computer to 8 gbs and got Windows 7 64-bit so I could run more RAM. The control panel says that only 4gbs are usable. I know its 64-bit and I've gone into the BIOS but could find no memory remapping or whatever its called.

Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80
G.Skill Ripjaws 8 gb
ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 mobo
1TB
2x Radeon HD 5770

Is windows showing "Installed Ram" correctly
Control Panel\System and Security\System - Installed memory (Ram)
Or is this under Windows task manager Performance Tab
Total
or
Physical memory available

My system Control panel shows I have 16 Gigs Ram Installed
BUT under Avalaible it only shows 6334 MB

In Bios, is the correct amount shown.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
This might be a stupid idea, but you could try reinstalling the sticks, one at a time reboot and see if each show up as 4Gb and each one is functioning properly. Then be sure you have them installed in the color coordinated slots try the blue first then the black.

^ Not a stupid idea. And if Windows and Bios listing 4 gigs as installed - then your comment is very valid.

I had that problem, added a pair of sticks, Thought they were inserted go - nope.
Came up short, reinserted and all was well.

I'm just not sure if windows is seeing 8 gigs and saying 4 is usable, or is only seeing 4.

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
In the BIOS I went to System Information and it said that 4085 of Memory is usable, but nothing about installed memory. In the task manager, it says that 4098 MB is in Hardware reserved and there is 4094 total. Installed it says that there is 8192 MB. Both sticks are plugged in, I tried that, I tried booting with one and then the other, and still no change.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
There are two factors to consider. First of all is having a 64 bit OS, second of all is having a chipset that supports more than 4GB of memory. Since you meet the first it may be that you have some limitation imposed in bios or your motherboard chipset that won't allow it to address the extra memory. For example, I have a Dell D620. I have a 64 bit OS, but my memory controller in hardware is 32 bit, so I only get 3.3 gigs out of 4. It might be something worth looking into. Hope this helps.

You have a P55 chipset, I think all P55 chipset, at least recognize upto 4 gigs per slot for a total of 16 Gigs, So hardware wise 4 x 2 gig sticks should be no problem.

Not withstanding some BIOS setting that is limiting you. Maybe someone with manual can have a look to see if there is a setting.

How about downloading CPU-z, install and run then post a snapshot of cpuz Memory tab. and spd tab. Use win 7 snipit tool for snapshot.

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
How do I put the picture on the thread? CPU-z says there is 8192 Mbytes under the memory tab, it also says there is a single channel under the Channel# one. Both of the slots that have the sticks (1 & 3) both read them and are exactly the same.

jebuchanan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
I have a similar problem with my Maximus III Formula mobo. I just upgraded to Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600.
CPU-Z says 16GB, the mobo and Windows says there is only 8GB available to use.
My mobo supports 16GB.

e0r9yw.jpg

(1) For Windows 7, use the snipping tool. Don't see, go to start/run box and type in snipping
Drag mouse over what you want to save, then save it.
go to: http://tinypic.com/
Follow instructions to upload image
When done
Highliter the link in "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" control C to copy link and control V to paste link in tom's box.

(2) back to problem:
You have two 4gig sticks, in the correct slots (1 and 3 I think double check manual on prefered slots.)
Under SPD slecting slot 1, or three should show the same info:
Size (4096), max bandwidth, manuf, part nr.
I have mine set to AMP-1600
Under Memory tab:
Type (DDR3)
Size (16384 Mine)
Channel # Dual ( if you have two Identical modules and this show single = Problem
NB Frew (mine = 3200), Basiclly 16 x bclk)
Bottom section: show show timings that are listed on SPD tab.

Just to verify, You do have them in the correct slots. I have a gigabyte Board and for two sticks, daul channel. They must go into the 2nd and 4th slot counting from the slot closest to the processor. (Same colored) - On your board I think you have a pair of black and a pair of blue slots. If Asus used the same scheme, then that would be the two blue slots. - Your MB manual should specify which slots are prefered. Bottom line is they should not be next to each other, they should be in alternate slots.

What does your MB manual state - does it indicate a preference?

You can always try the other pair of slots..

Comparing your Memory tab (How the memory is set-up) vs what is stored on the Ram is not the same - should look like column. labled XMP-1334.
On my system, my memory tab is Identical to XMP-1600 column.

Looked @ newegg, could not see your ram. Your Part Number shows:F3-10666CL7-4GBRH. Your XMP cloumn shows 7.0,8,8,23
On Newegg all the F3-10666CL7 all show timings of 7.0,7,7,21
Look on the package, or module an note the Part Number.
Use caution when handleing memory, Play it safe ant touch the computer case before handling.

Have you looked at the Bios section in your MB.
Is there a Memory line item that has "use XMP", if so you can try this, it should "force" the values (timing/voltages) to the correct values.

Don't have your MB (have gigabyte), I think you have to register to download your manual. Will do later today.

OK, let’s drop back 50 yards and punt like HE double L.

(1) Looking @ manual your memory should be in the 2 and 4 the slot (counting from one nearest the CPU (This would be A1 and B1 slots)
(2) What is the status of your mem ok led – should be off.
(3) What is your current Bios version (can find on CPU-Z Mainboard tap. When having a problem it is always a good idea to have the latest Bios version.
...A) There are 3 versions of the P7P55D-E. Deluxe Latest bios is 1504, the Pro Latest Bios 1602 and the Premium, didn’t look up. MAKE sure you get the right one.
..B) To update bios if you do not have latest – follow Para 3.2.2 in manual (Asus EZ Flash 2 Utility.
..C) BEFORE updating Bios, as you are having a memory problem, I would recommend that you download Memtest 86.iso and make a bootable ISO disk with memtest on it – boot to disk and run for at least 2 hours. If you have any mem errors, remove memory stick from B1 and just use the one in A1. Retest, should be OK.
(4) After updating the Bios see if this fixed your problem (boot to win 7 and check memory status)

(5) Still have a problem.
..A) Is mem LED on, if so try using Mem ok (sec 2.6 in manual.
..B) Try loading XMP; this is located in bios under the AI Overclocker Tuner (Section 3.5.2 of manual.

Added: link to metest86 ISO http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The sticks are in the right slot.
The Mem-ok light is off
My BIOS version is 1002 and is quite out of date. I installed the ASUS update utility but when I ask it to search for a server to download the new BIOS update from it will search but never find one. So I'm in the process of downloading the new version off the website.
Is the memtest neccesary?

On memtest, In my opionion - Yes.
Reason: Memory is inbetween HD and bios. When the Bios file is read it is transfered to memory first. The cpu acts as a director to send it to the Bios CMOS. If you have a memory error this incorrect data could be sent to the Bios, end result is an error in the bios and in worst case could make "brick" your CMOS Bios chip.

Myself: On a new system I always run memtest befor updating the bios and/or before installing the operating system. When ever I make a change to bios that effects the memory, or add/change out a memory stick, I rerun memtest before allowing the system to boot to operating system. In this case a meory error could result in a hosed operating system.

An alteranative would be to download prime 95 and run that (would not have to make an Iso boot disk, unless prime 95 detected errors. I find prime95 better at detecting memory errors. Run it in Blend mode, normally default, and run for atleast one hour.
Also when I run Prime 95 I also monitor temps and voltages. For this I use CPUID HWMonitor. Inaddition to testing memory and cpu stability, Prime95 is offten used to verify that the cpu will not overheat and that the PSU is good.

HWMonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Prime 95
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
or
http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Okay so I downloaded Prime95 and ran it, it opened 9 small windows and isnt doing anything. If I go to test though it says stop, and continue is greyed out, does that mean it is running properly?

I only get 5 windows I5-750 4 cores, 4 threads.
You will have a main window (at top), then one window per thread (4 cores + 4 hyperthreads).
There is no indicator that shows it is working.
But:
Will show Top window "starting workers"
In Worker Windows It will show Date time and Test Number (starting at 1)
The test # will increment and if you get a error it will display it and stop that worker.

PS: if you have HWMonitor running you will see the temperatures of all four cores going up (Should monitor) themps will come close to the max value within about 15 min, after that you can kind of walk away, go what TV and jest peek at it every 15 min to make sure temps are not getting to high.