Asus m2n mx se: not recognizing ram.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hello all,

I have independantly tested both sticks in my machine, and in another they work fine. In CPUz it says that my memory is running single channel and won't recognize the other gb stick.

Can anyone assist me?

All the best,

Ben

Welcome to Tom's Forum, Ben. In order to help you find a resolution to your problem, you'll need to post the specs of your system. There could be several reasons why, to name a few:

1. Your mobo doesn't support Dual Channel
2. The RAM isn't compatible with your mobo
3. Your mobo doesn't support the amount of RAM you installed
4. RAM was installed incorrectly
5. Incorrect DRAM settings in the BIOS

As you can see, without knowing what your hardware is, the possibilities are substantially large. Please repost with your system specs.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Sorry, I realise that was a vague post.

1. Checked specs it has dual channel architecture.
2. 1 stick works fine and has done for some time, the second stick is identical.
3. Mobo supports upto 2gb in x32 (so no problem there)
4. Ive taken it out and in a few times.

5. Ahh now we are talking, is it possible to have disabled a DIMM slot? In the past I had 2gb installed on it, now on CPU-Z its not recognizing that the ram is even plugged in. I have tried a bios update through Asus update, but that thing just seems to be messing me about constantly and won't update even though I have directed it towards the latest rom for my motherboard model.

I'm terrible at bios settings so what should I be looking for?

Some motherboards are designed in such a way that if the DIMMs aren't occupied correctly, the result of installed RAM does not match. In other words, if your manual instructs you to install RAM like this: CPU _ | _ |, but you installed your RAM like this: CPU || _ _, then that could explain why the second stick isn't being detected.

OK. just checked the manual of this mobo. you only have two slots, so it's not a configuration problem. In the BIOS, there is no way to disable DIMM slots; however, incorrectly setting the DRAM values is another reason why both sticks can't be detected.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Right I'm going to reboot and go into the BIOS is there any particular settings I should be looking for?

I'm slightly worried that one of the slots may be broken somehow but I can't see any signs of damage.

I didn't see anywhere in the BIOS that you could change the Timing, voltage, or frequency. Chances are that since the DRAM values can't be changed, your mobo automatically configures the BIOS. With that said, I concur that you may have a defective DIMM slot. Since the DRAM settings can't be change in your BIOS, the only way to test this theory is with another known working RAM kit. If the known working kit doesn't work properly in this ASUS mobo, then I'd be inclined to believe the DIMM is in fact defective.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Crap, I've got a terrible unremovable virus/rootkit at the moment too. Looks like I'm going to need a new motherboard and a new copy of windows xp..... Seems a waste to upgrade this turdpile.