about to pull trigger on extreme low budget game build.

iloki

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
My budget is only $650 with monitor. Would I be better off getting a AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz? Also will I be able to attempt to unlock the 4th core if I stick w/ the Athlon X3 with this motherboard?

newegg.jpg

And this is the monitor I was looking to get Compaq S2022a 20-Inch Diagonal LCD Monitor

Want to buy tonight.

Thanks in advance.

G

I would say that you can use the hard drive from your HP but only as a secondary drive and you can use the DVD drive as long as it's a SATA drive. Otherwise, there's no point bothering. I have, however, included both of them in my build.

I've chosen everything from Newegg because I find Amazon hard to navigate for PC components unless you know exactly what you want. I have assumed that you don't need an OS with this but if you do then you can get a worse graphics card and/or monitor to get the $100 copy of Windows 7. So...

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz - I have this myself, it's a very snappy CPU and excellent value for money. The included cooler is alright as well.
ASRock AM3 Motherboard - it is a cheap motherboard but on a budget like yours there's really no point in spending anything more on a motherboard seeing as this does everything you need.
G.SKILL 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Kit - it's the cheapest DDR3 1333MHz 2x2GB kit on Newegg but it has good reviews and G.SKILL is a good company.
HIS HD 5770 1GB - this is a great card and it's a steal at under $150.
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA & OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W PSU - a very reliable hard drive with a decent amount of space and a nice, reliable modular power supply with enough power for this system.
Samsung 22x DVD Burner - it's cheap. It plays and burns all formats of DVD.
Rosewill Black ATX Case - on a budget like yours I don't really see any point in purchasing a flashy case or anything. This gets the job done and will have adequate cooling.
Acer 20" Widescreen Monitor - nice looking screen from a well known company with a decent resolution and a good price.

Well, that's what I would recommend for $650 - the total comes to $606.92 which allows you to upgrade something a little if you want (case, monitor, motherboard).

Hope that helped you and feel free to ask any questions.

nuihc

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Not trying to start anything....but what did you see that led you to make this comment? I've read and re-read this thread and I don't see anything that even remotely suggests anything illegal. IF you are referring to the OS, then that's a pretty far stretch I think. I myself have numerous "legal" copies of every Microsoft OS as do many others. (Of course I am an MSDN member so that helps :)

Anyway, I was just wondering how I can read something and see no evidence of illegality and someone else can read the same thing and apparently see that.

Nuihc

cmcghee358

Distinguished
See how my message was edited by someone that wasnt me? That means a moderator came in, because I quoted the statement he made to pirate Windows 7. Then his post has also been edited by mousemonkey.

So that's why you can't see it, because our moderators are on top of it and cleaned up the thread.

nuihc

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Ah-sooo - now I get it....The mods must be fast on the trigger :)

alpha_c

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

iloki

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
cmcghee358, I had taken the build you had suggested in another thread but the monitor is the 20" version instead of 18.5" which you had suggested. Would this 1.5" make a big negative difference? Would be using the system to play steam games.

iloki

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

mo
Sorry didnt see ur post...do these monitors have better features then the one I posted?I was hoping to get my monitor through amazon since i have prime (free shipping)