Sign in with
Your question

Card for Linux/Windows box?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2010 3:02:16 PM

Hey, I am looking for a Nvidia card now. Well, I want to know the best options in case I go Nvidia. I dual boot Windows and Linux and a Nvidia card may be the best option for me at this time.

But, Fermi cards are too expensive for me and I figure the temps/power consumption are a bit too high. Perhaps, some better cards will become available later on but for now, I think I will reluctantly consider the older generation GT2xx and G92b cards.

So, are these my best options?:
GTS 250, 9800GT and 240 GT

If so, what are acceptable prices for each?

I have been on the lookout for used cards but they tend to get snatched up quite quickly for the folding/hardware acceleration abilities.

I'll buy new if the price range is acceptable. I thought the GTS 250 can be had for $140 new but is that too much? I was hoping to keep a budget range of under $150 with a preference for $100 to $120.

I would like a low power/temps card so does it matter if some of the cards have a custom cooler? Do any of the GTS 250 cards have a custom cooler that gets temps and maybe power consumption down a tad?

Thanks for any suggestions. So, to summarize, my wants/needs are video so 2D and 3D capabilities. Perhaps, some light gaming. WOW, Left For Dead, Call of Duty, racing games, perhaps.... stuff like that. The monitor is 20" with 1680x1050. The cpu is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600.

I hope one of the Nvidia cards fit the bill... :D 

More about : card linux windows box

June 11, 2010 12:28:22 PM

No one can answer?
!