[Solved] Some "major" issue i'm facing recently, its the damn fsp ps

ToNToRoMK

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hi, I'm Malaysian, my home built computer is 1 year old now, and recently my computer just seems to fail, almost unusable...

the issue start with my computer suddenly unable to boot into window 7 64bit, and I found out that this is probably due to my faulty HD that has many bad sector. Thankfully i'm able to backup my file to a new HDD.

The second issue i faced is that i'm unable to install window 7 64bit to the new HDD, it keeps on reboot during installation when reached to the register setting or registry settings part, after the installation successfully copied and expand, and reboot to continue the installation.

I'm unable to repair the window 7 using the DVD, and unable to go into safe mode as the window installation is not complete. It just keep rebooting at the register settings part.

So, i decided to try installing window XP instead, to my surprice, my window XP installation fail as well, as it reboot every time when first boot into the window after installation complete. but this issue somehow is solved by unplug my mouse and keyboard when it boot into window XP.

After that, every time I restart computer, i encounter once or twice the sudden reboot when my mouse is plugin, until i decided to switch mouse and use another usb port.

Fourth issue that i encounter is that, I cannot install any motherboard driver or graphic card driver into window XP, i tried a few version of drivers and used the cd instead of dl-ed driver, i even update my mobo bios, but to no avail.

Now, i only running my window XP with all windows default driver, and i suspect that this is my mobo or power supply problem.

after the mouse/usb reboot problem somehow not happening anymore, now my DVD burner ROM is causing reboot when i try to read CD or DVD, this never happen when i'm installing window XP, even during the installation of window 7, the copy and expand file from cd is no problem as well, i'm not tested any burning yet as i haven't install any burning program.

The reading CD/DVD issue stoped after i change to another DVD/CD burning combo drive. But i doubt that the DVD burner is faulty.

I've tried using memtest x64 but no error is found with my ram, and since i'm using a new HDD instead of the full of bad sectors one, so it can't be HDD problem anymore.

Things that i'm not yet try is, i'm not yet try changing power supply and install back window 7 64bit, as someone told me that installation can fail if power supply is not supplying enough power. I'm not yet try changing the whole motherboard to see if the mobo really the source of all this issue.

both of this trial will probably cost me a hole in my wallet, so i'm hoping to find some comment here.

There is no decent power supply or mobo that i can borrow from my friend for a test.

I don't wish to send back to the shop for a test, as this will be troublesome for some reason.

Question now is:

1)If it is not ram, HDD or DVD burner problem what probably cause that cause the fail of window 7 installation, but the success of window XP installation, with failing of driver installation?

2)Will the failing of enough power from power supply causing the fail of window 7 installation?

3)What scenario will prevent the successful installation of new driver in window XP, is it really compatibility?

4)The sudden reboot of reading DVD or mouse in usb port, is it hardware problem? or due to my issue of unable to install driver? Or is it motherboard failure?

I'm really confused for the past 6 days, as 1 issue after another, hope to get some help, as i search around in the net many cases that is similar like me, seems to be mobo compatibility or problem.

My Spec:
core i5-750
4 GB DDR 3 1333 kingston ram
WD Blue 500GB (previously using WD green 1TB, which having too many bad sector somehow)
Gigabyte HD5850
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (updated to bios f14 from official website)
FSP 80 PLUS 800W
Samsung write master DVD burner (IDE)
I'm now using a LiteOn DVD/CD burner combo drive when i encounter read cd/dvd reboot issue.

kronic_1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
If I was You

1 Check the caps on the motherboard se if they are blowen / poped you can tell from the leaks/swelling

2 Check all Settings in bios are correct for ram ect

3 DONT trust memtest

4 try and install with only one stick of ram if it errors remove and try again with the
the other slab

5 when things dont install properly / you get corrupt files ect it is usaly ram

6 Check your Master and slave settings on your Gard drives REMEMBER 1 must be master and 1 must be slave this goes for both ide channels

7 You could be right about the powersupply but id look at ram/caps first

8 CHECK your USB ports arnt shorting out could have a broken one ore one wired up the wrong way

POST YOUR RESULTS

ToNToRoMK

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Hello, thanks for some suggestion:

1)i've checked all caps/transistor and everything, motherboard seems ok and no leak/swollen found.

2)my bios is reset to default settings, status in bios also showing no errors or weird status.

4) i tried this with both rams but still the same result.

5)i didn't get corrupted driver file, instead it just show that the driver i installed is invalid (error 28) in device manager page for graphic card, i'm stuck with windows default driver and incomplete graphic driver installation.

6) i only installed 1 HDD and 1 burner/dvd-rom at one time, the HDD is on SATA port and burner/DVD-rom is on IDE.

7)hmm.... i'm kind of concern on this, as if i buy a new board to try, i'm scared that the problem actually is from power supply i'll be spending extra on irrelevant problem. But i'm not so sure i can get another power supply to test.

8) I got many USB port, so far i've tried install window 7 a few times, but still the same reboot loop issue, and when i install back window XP, i always get rebooted during first boot into window XP, but everything seems fine after i successfully boot-in by unplug my mouse/keyboard at first then later plug them back in again.

I encounter another issue after i re-install window XP after the trial to install window 7 with new DVD-rom, the computer reboot when i try to install sound driver. sound driver is never successfully installed for the on-board sound chip, and i don't have sound card.

Can all this because of power supply issue, or really is the motherboard haywire??

oh and all connection between power supply and motherboard/HDD/graphic card is secured, cpu boot-up without signs of lack of power or anything, but i'm not so sure if the power supply having any faulty parts (leaking/popped/blown transistor) inside or not.

ToNToRoMK

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Somehow, i got a friend able to borrow me his gigabyte 700w power supply to test my comp, and i'm able to install window 7 without any problem again....

so that i now know, my FSP 80 plus 800W is the source of all problems i'm facing thus far.

probably....

I'm not really that confident that my motherboard is entirely without error or problems, but at least now everything working fine nothing wrong seems to appear now....

kronic_1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Glad To hear you got it sorted

Dirty power is a funny thing a computer will work sweet one place take it someware else and it wont lol
im useing a huntkey x7 900w powersupply 88plus silver so far it has been an awesome powersupply only been useing it for around 6 months so far but no probs
my first powersupply blew up inside my computer sparks pops flames and everything (NEVER BUY CHEEP POWER SUPPLY) Aywun 750w)
Witch was also 80plus thankfully nothing else was damaged

Good luck

ToNToRoMK

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

ya, i think so too never buy cheap ps... but my FSP not cheap at all (T.T) cost around RM400++, that's around USD140+, but sometimes really is bad luck getting sucky ps...

hope i can buy some nice but cheaper one, i got previous experience using really cheap ps but last 4-5 years still running ok hahaha...