Closed Solved

Which CPU to buy

The most taxing task that I will put on my CPU is going to be gaming.

Which CPU will I buy now that will make it as much safe for the next 2-4 years?

I am looking for more value, and my budget allows me to pick up AMD Phenom II X4 945 + GA-880GMA-UD2H. Some people are asking me to go the Intel route instead. Their argument is Intel i3-540 beats Phenom II, though from what I have seen I can comfortably say atleast when it comes to running GTA IV, Phenom II prevails.

Which one should I buy? Or should I put it on hold for now, and buy it after few months (some of my friends are excited about 'Sandy Bridge')?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which
  1. Best answer
    Hold it for now. AMD's new architecture CPUs will come out in 2011 as well.
  2. Lmeow said:
    Hold it for now. AMD's new architecture CPUs will come out in 2011 as well.

Yeah I heard - the 'Bulldozer' :) Will it come out early next year, like January? When it comes out, will it fit my budget (which currently is equivalent to i3 or Phenom II 945 + motherboard), or will it cause the prices of current CPUs fall drastically?
  3. From what I've seen, Bulldozer chips will be available early next year, i.e. 1st quarter. I don't think that anything related to price has been released yet.
  4. Sandy Bridge is viable option if you don't like to wait. Because it is coming out earlier. Like sometime in December 2010 or January 2011. Bulldozer may join the party a little later. So i would also add my vote to the advice of waiting.
  5. Quote:
    Pure speculation and who know's if it's in his budget? You can bet Bulldozer will be in the $300+ range for cpu only.

Depends how it competes, but I'll bet the bottom model is a good $200, and who knows what the boards will cost. We may actually see $500+ cpus from AMD again. :lol:
  6. Give your current rig details.. Let us see if an upgrade is required right away or waiting is the better option..
  7. Best answer selected by arn10485.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom Product