Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Which CPU to buy

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 17, 2010 7:21:01 AM

The most taxing task that I will put on my CPU is going to be gaming.

Which CPU will I buy now that will make it as much safe for the next 2-4 years?

I am looking for more value, and my budget allows me to pick up AMD Phenom II X4 945 + GA-880GMA-UD2H. Some people are asking me to go the Intel route instead. Their argument is Intel i3-540 beats Phenom II, though from what I have seen I can comfortably say atleast when it comes to running GTA IV, Phenom II prevails.

Which one should I buy? Or should I put it on hold for now, and buy it after few months (some of my friends are excited about 'Sandy Bridge')?

More about : cpu buy

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 17, 2010 7:44:16 AM
Share

Hold it for now. AMD's new architecture CPUs will come out in 2011 as well.
September 17, 2010 7:51:02 AM

Lmeow said:
Hold it for now. AMD's new architecture CPUs will come out in 2011 as well.


Yeah I heard - the 'Bulldozer' :)  Will it come out early next year, like January? When it comes out, will it fit my budget (which currently is equivalent to i3 or Phenom II 945 + motherboard), or will it cause the prices of current CPUs fall drastically?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2010 7:53:34 AM

From what I've seen, Bulldozer chips will be available early next year, i.e. 1st quarter. I don't think that anything related to price has been released yet.
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2010 8:17:34 AM

Sandy Bridge is viable option if you don't like to wait. Because it is coming out earlier. Like sometime in December 2010 or January 2011. Bulldozer may join the party a little later. So i would also add my vote to the advice of waiting.
a c 83 à CPUs
September 17, 2010 7:05:54 PM

Quote:
Pure speculation and who know's if it's in his budget? You can bet Bulldozer will be in the $300+ range for cpu only.


Depends how it competes, but I'll bet the bottom model is a good $200, and who knows what the boards will cost. We may actually see $500+ cpus from AMD again. :lol: 
a c 81 à CPUs
September 17, 2010 7:41:21 PM

Give your current rig details.. Let us see if an upgrade is required right away or waiting is the better option..
September 24, 2010 3:00:02 AM

Best answer selected by arn10485.
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2010 5:15:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!