Infection & many pop up ads...SillyDI.FG,SillyDI.HZ,BettIn..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
tunes etc.

Could someone please help me?
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about infection sillydi sillydi bettin
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/s­scv6/default.asp?langid=ie&ven­id=sym

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Terry" wrote:

    | I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
    | SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
    | etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
    | comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
    | window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
    | there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
    | antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
    | already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
    | more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
    | perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
    | over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
    | tunes etc.
    |
    | Could someone please help me?
    | Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Terry, I had your problems and downloaded two things to correct the problems.
    I went to www.lavasoft.com and ran that and then the BEST is
    www.housecall.antivirus.com
    Both are free. I now use the Housecall about every couple of weeks or so
    just to be sure I'm in tip top shape! It is GREAT and it WILL WORK!

    Terry wrote:

    > I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
    > SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
    > etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
    > comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
    > window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
    > there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
    > antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
    > already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
    > more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
    > perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
    > over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
    > tunes etc.
    >
    > Could someone please help me?
    > Thanks

    [Unnecessary cross posting removed]

    For viruses, start with Trend Micro’s Sysclean and McAfee’s Stinger.
    Download them and the Sysclean signature file. Turn off system restore,
    boot into safe mode and run them. Boot back into normal mode and run a
    full AV scan with your normal AV program. Then turn system restore back
    on.

    Trend Micro Sysclean

    Trend Micro Signature File

    McAfee AVert Stinger Virus Removal Tool
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    You should also regularly run at least two of these online scans in
    addition to your regular up to date AV program:

    Online and Downloadable Virus Scanning:

    Panda ActiveScan

    Bit Defender Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Symantec Online Virus and Security Scan:
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    TrendMicro:

    McAfee Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    RAV AntiVirus - Scan Online
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    Run these programs to check for spyware/malware. After installing
    update them, then boot into safe mode and run them. You should update
    and run them weekly.

    Cwshredder

    Ad-aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html

    Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
    http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715

    If you’re still having problems after running these then run HijackThis
    and post the log to one of the specialty forums, _NOT_ this one.

    HijackThis

    Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

    After your system is clean use these programs to help keep it clean:

    Spywareblaster
    www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

    Spywareguard
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

    IE-SPYAD
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

    Make sure you have a firewall active at all times. If nothing else use
    the one built into XP, but there are a variety of free third party ones
    that do a better job from Sygate, Zone Alarm or Kerio.

    Sygate Personal Firewall
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za

    Kerio Personal Firewall
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    Lastly check your system for vulnerabilities. Make sure you have all
    the latest security patches from Windows Update too.

    Websites which will check for vulnerabilities:

    Browser Security Tests:
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:53:45 -0400, "Terry" <tredmunds(remove
    this)@optonline.net> wrote:

    >I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
    >SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
    >etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
    >comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
    >window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
    >there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
    >antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
    >already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
    >more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
    >perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
    >over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
    >tunes etc.
    >
    >Could someone please help me?
    >Thanks

    I realize this isn't a NG about virus programs. But I've stuck with a Free one
    that I found on a drivers CD I got with win98 7 years ago. It's never failed
    me. It searches, intercepts, finds, identifies, cleans, or deletes.

    Are all the other virus programs worthless ?
    Only reason I ask is they're offering a FREE one thru my ISP, only trouble is
    it's more a sales tool to sell the meat of the program, like the firewall
    $29.99, the spam tool $29.95, the virus cleaner $29.95 etc.. For free you get
    something that may or may not identify something in real time. It won't stop
    it, that's what the $29.95 firewall and $29.95 cleaners for.

    Are all the other virus programs like this ? bits and pieces for sale to make
    up the complete package ?

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:53:45 -0400, "Terry" <tredmunds(remove
    > this)@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have appx.19 infections, e.g.
    >>C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
    >>SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
    >>etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
    >>comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
    >>window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
    >>there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
    >>antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
    >>already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
    >>more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
    >>perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
    >>over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire,
    >>tunes etc.
    >>
    >>Could someone please help me?
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > I realize this isn't a NG about virus programs. But I've stuck with a Free
    > one
    > that I found on a drivers CD I got with win98 7 years ago. It's never
    > failed
    > me. It searches, intercepts, finds, identifies, cleans, or deletes.
    >
    > Are all the other virus programs worthless ?
    > Only reason I ask is they're offering a FREE one thru my ISP, only trouble
    > is
    > it's more a sales tool to sell the meat of the program, like the firewall
    > $29.99, the spam tool $29.95, the virus cleaner $29.95 etc.. For free you
    > get
    > something that may or may not identify something in real time. It won't
    > stop
    > it, that's what the $29.95 firewall and $29.95 cleaners for.
    >
    > Are all the other virus programs like this ? bits and pieces for sale to
    > make
    > up the complete package ?
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

    There are a variety of excellent freeware antivirus and spyware detectors
    that do not install nags or are crippled. These include:
    AVG 7 http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
    avast 4 http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
    Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
    Spybot Search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    Microsoft Antispyware

    Check here for more http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/index.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Configuration Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP