Infection & many pop up ads...SillyDI.FG,SillyDI.HZ,BettIn..

terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
tunes etc.

Could someone please help me?
Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/s­scv6/default.asp?langid=ie&ven­id=sym

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Terry" wrote:

| I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
| SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
| etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
| comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
| window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
| there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
| antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
| already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
| more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
| perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
| over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
| tunes etc.
|
| Could someone please help me?
| Thanks

Lindy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Terry, I had your problems and downloaded two things to correct the problems.
I went to www.lavasoft.com and ran that and then the BEST is
www.housecall.antivirus.com
Both are free. I now use the Housecall about every couple of weeks or so
just to be sure I'm in tip top shape! It is GREAT and it WILL WORK!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/s­scv6/default.asp?langid=ie&ven­id=sym
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
>
> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Terry" wrote:
>
> | I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
> | SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
> | etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
> | comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
> | window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
> | there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
> | antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
> | already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
> | more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
> | perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
> | over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
> | tunes etc.
> |
> | Could someone please help me?
> | Thanks

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Terry wrote:

> I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
> SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
> etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
> comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
> window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
> there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
> antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
> already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
> more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
> perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
> over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
> tunes etc.
>
> Could someone please help me?
> Thanks

[Unnecessary cross posting removed]

For viruses, start with Trend Micro’s Sysclean and McAfee’s Stinger.
Download them and the Sysclean signature file. Turn off system restore,
boot into safe mode and run them. Boot back into normal mode and run a
full AV scan with your normal AV program. Then turn system restore back
on.

Trend Micro Sysclean

Trend Micro Signature File

McAfee AVert Stinger Virus Removal Tool
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You should also regularly run at least two of these online scans in
addition to your regular up to date AV program:

Online and Downloadable Virus Scanning:

Panda ActiveScan

Bit Defender Online Virus Scan:
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

Symantec Online Virus and Security Scan:
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

TrendMicro:

McAfee Online Virus Scan:
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

RAV AntiVirus - Scan Online
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

F-Secure:
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

Run these programs to check for spyware/malware. After installing
update them, then boot into safe mode and run them. You should update
and run them weekly.

Cwshredder

Ad-aware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html

Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715

If you’re still having problems after running these then run HijackThis
and post the log to one of the specialty forums, _NOT_ this one.

HijackThis

Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

After your system is clean use these programs to help keep it clean:

Spywareblaster
www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Spywareguard
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

IE-SPYAD
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

Make sure you have a firewall active at all times. If nothing else use
the one built into XP, but there are a variety of free third party ones
that do a better job from Sygate, Zone Alarm or Kerio.

Sygate Personal Firewall
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za

Kerio Personal Firewall
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Lastly check your system for vulnerabilities. Make sure you have all
the latest security patches from Windows Update too.

Websites which will check for vulnerabilities:

Browser Security Tests:
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:53:45 -0400, "Terry" <tredmunds(remove
this)@optonline.net> wrote:

>I have appx.19 infections, e.g. C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
>SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
>etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
>comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
>window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
>there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
>antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
>already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
>more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
>perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
>over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire, I
>tunes etc.
>
>Could someone please help me?
>Thanks

I realize this isn't a NG about virus programs. But I've stuck with a Free one
that I found on a drivers CD I got with win98 7 years ago. It's never failed
me. It searches, intercepts, finds, identifies, cleans, or deletes.

Are all the other virus programs worthless ?
Only reason I ask is they're offering a FREE one thru my ISP, only trouble is
it's more a sales tool to sell the meat of the program, like the firewall
$29.99, the spam tool $29.95, the virus cleaner $29.95 etc.. For free you get
something that may or may not identify something in real time. It won't stop
it, that's what the $29.95 firewall and $29.95 cleaners for.

Are all the other virus programs like this ? bits and pieces for sale to make
up the complete package ?

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:53:45 -0400, "Terry" <tredmunds(remove
> this)@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>I have appx.19 infections, e.g.
>>C:windows\system32\thin....win32.SillyDI.FG,
>>SillyDI.HZ (32\pop2),win32.BettInet, HtML.MHTMLREDIRLEXPLOIT (C:documents
>>etc.) SillyDL.HQ. My antivirus was up to date..I run the antivirus and it
>>comes up with "0" infections, but when I "x" out of that screen, another
>>window opens up telling me I have those 19 infections, lists them but
>>there's no option to delete. .it's just a window. Every time I run the
>>antivirus program, the same thing happens. I also ran Ad-aware and I have
>>already removed over 400 critical objects, but every time I run it, I get
>>more critical objects. Also pop up ads keep crowding the screen while I
>>perform those functions. My computer was fine until my son went in there
>>over the weekend to download tunes for his IPOD, I believe from Limewire,
>>tunes etc.
>>
>>Could someone please help me?
>>Thanks
>>

> I realize this isn't a NG about virus programs. But I've stuck with a Free
> one
> that I found on a drivers CD I got with win98 7 years ago. It's never
> failed
> me. It searches, intercepts, finds, identifies, cleans, or deletes.
>
> Are all the other virus programs worthless ?
> Only reason I ask is they're offering a FREE one thru my ISP, only trouble
> is
> it's more a sales tool to sell the meat of the program, like the firewall
> $29.99, the spam tool $29.95, the virus cleaner $29.95 etc.. For free you
> get
> something that may or may not identify something in real time. It won't
> stop
> it, that's what the $29.95 firewall and $29.95 cleaners for.
>
> Are all the other virus programs like this ? bits and pieces for sale to
> make
> up the complete package ?
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

There are a variety of excellent freeware antivirus and spyware detectors
that do not install nags or are crippled. These include:
AVG 7 http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
avast 4 http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
Spybot Search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html