Solved

$700-$800 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2010 7:39:38 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE: $700-800 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, occasional compiling

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, mouse, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, amazon.com (I get a 10% discount and free 2-day shipping on items that are actually sold by amazon (not other companies selling stuff on amazon))

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States (Cali)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer things that will last a while and be easy to upgrade (so maybe a larger case and mobo)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050, I may eventually buy either a second monitor that is either 1680x1050 or 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I do not want a flashy PC with LEDs everywhere if possible, then a somewhat quiet pc would be good too. I plan on using this for games such as WoW, CoD, L4D2, and maybe Just Cause 2, I am hoping to be able to run all of these with relatively high graphics without the fps ever dropping below 30 (my goal for WoW is super high settings even in 25mans).

More about : 700 800 gaming

July 18, 2010 7:46:43 PM

Sounds like an AMD build. Im sure you could get and ATI 5770 with an AMD Phenom x4 955. Either a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard just make sure it has an AM3 socket. 4GBs of G. Skill RAM would definantly suffice while a basic 600W PSU from corsair would be good. A 500GB Harddrive from Western Digital would also be good. Should be able to play Crysis on max with no AA on a 1680 by 1050 resolution!
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:34:43 AM

Yeah, I kind of figured I would need to go the AMD route, but I have mostly been having trouble deciding what motherboard/case to go with, since there are just so many options, and I am really not that sure which to go with- especially since I know I want a case with enough fans where I won't need a separate cooling system, but all of the good ones have really shiny LEDs that can't be turned off. There is also that little argument in my head as to whether I want to go with a 945/955/965 processor then a 5770/5830 gpu, but I figure I can make this decision based on what I'll be spending on everything else.

I also forgot to mention that I will also need a wireless card to throw in it, unless my roommate lets me route an ethernet cable to my room (which isn't likely), so if anyone has a good suggestion for those, that would be great.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2010 9:06:06 AM

750AR featuring 8/8 CF capability, USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s?

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2010 9:36:15 AM

Best solution

July 20, 2010 3:44:33 AM

Having a 750W Corsair PSU would allow crossfire later on, but would require a new motherboard. I would also recommend to not buy an OCZ PSU, they're mediocre at best and aren't worth the $20 or even $50 bucks in savings. Best brands right now are Corsair, Antec (Delta & Seasonic OEM), Seasonic, Silverstone (Etatis, Impervio, and Enhance OEM), Thermaltake (CWT OEMs if you can find them for cheap, don't bother). Bottom line, the OEM of all these brands is what matters. Corsair used Seasonic but now uses CWT, Silverstone has some really good PSUs, but only those three OEMs that I mentioned are worth the money. Then you have people like Seasonic that make PSUs for themselves and for other people that are very VERY good quality.

a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2010 7:54:02 AM

Not recommended to CF on a 16/4 board like MSI 870A-G54 Look to hit an 8/8 at least
m
l
July 20, 2010 2:06:09 PM

batuchka said:
Not recommended to CF on a 16/4 board like MSI 870A-G54 Look to hit an 8/8 at least

"Having a 750W Corsair PSU would allow crossfire later on, but would require a new motherboard."

I explained that, read what I said.
m
l
July 20, 2010 5:57:20 PM

Alrighty, thanks for all of the awesome advice guys :D  I didn't even think that I would be able to fit a 5850 into my budget, but by the looks of it, I might be able to. I may shop around a bit on Amazon, just because the 10% discount, no tax, and free shipping might be useful for some of the non-combo items, but this all looks really great!

Out of curiosity though, will the antec case posted be sufficient for cooling? I am a big antec fan and like how this one isn't sparkly, I am just kind of a noob when it comes to understanding cooling, I figure it won't be too necessary since I will mostly likely not be overclocking, but I am not sure.

Oh, and also, is Diamond a decent brand for graphics cards? I found this guy on Amazon, so with my discount the card will only cost me around $243 since I don't need to worry about tax or shipping. The brand itself seems to have bad rep on newegg, but the Amazon reviews for this one seemed okay (though there were only 9 and one was just a random guy).
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2010 10:03:31 AM

Yep Antec cases like 300 Illusion are preety decent and read up on reviews on 80plus certified PSUs and double check on their certification here Makers like Antec, OCZ, Themaltake, Silverstone, etc have very decent 80+ PSUs but also make non 80+ ones ^^
http://80plus.org/

As for GPU brands:
Read reviews on these data
1. Idle/Load temps
2. Idle/Load noise (dB)
3. Whats included in the box

Just to be clear: do not compromise on a 16/4 for a CF build as the HD5800 and GTX 4xx would bottleneck these. This has not specifically been addressed and should be a separate issue from the wattage of the PSU picked out hehe You are welcomed ^^
m
l
August 2, 2010 9:39:07 PM

So, it took me a while to get back to this since I have been busy with work, I kind of ended up taking a little advice from everyone on what to get, then went with reviews on newegg if a well-rated item had a decent rebate/discount over one recommended here. So here is my final build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955
GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 5850
Mother Board: MSI 870A-G54
Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650
Case: Antec 300 Illusion
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200rpm
DVD: LightOn LightScribe
Wireless Adapter: ASUS PCE-N13

After rebates, discounts, shipping, and tax, it still manged to come down to $776 :D  Thanks so much everyone who helped!
m
l
August 2, 2010 9:39:51 PM

Best answer selected by lynlyn.
m
l
!