Mod an Internal PSU to run as a Second PSU to pwer a GPU

fadol

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
hi

I have Dell 670 system and I recently bought a Nivida 9800 GX2 which need a 1 8 pin and a 1 6 pins for power but the OEm PSU that come with the computer only Has 1 6 pin and even with a molex to 8 it my not be able to run the card

now i know there are some external PSU and even PSU boosters for SLI but they are expansive and I Oldy got a hold of some 550w Internal PSU
and i want to fidn a way to mod one so it can be powered on and FEEd my GPU with power with out connecting that PSU to a mother power to power it on. i know there must be a way to jump some wires in the PCU to make it work
i just dont know which one are they ...

i know this idea seams crazy but its the only way i can power this card til i can afford to buy a booster as I cant afford 70~ + shipping internationally for it which will cost alot

so does any one know how to do that trick ?

fadol

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
my plan is to use the 2x 6 pins from teh second psu and hoke them up to a 2 6 pins to 1 8 pins converter so its gonna be safe the second PSU wont be connected to anythings else but i just dont knwo how to make that PSu running

Have a look online for 20+4pin wiring guide, off the top of my head its grey or green wire that jumps the psu,
having said that I reiterate Jsc's advice, and if possible go one further,
DONT FKIN DO IT!
Guy called randomacts I think it was had a similar post on here not long back, he (against advice) hooked up a second psu to power gfx cards, using stereo wire to jump the second psu,
if I recall correctly the pc lasted 2 days before opting out of existance quite spectacularly,
^Bump buying bigger psu, you already invested hard earned into the system, dont blow it by skimping here, you could also end up dead or homeless.
Moto