Old HDD into new computer

gwapings101

Honorable
May 23, 2012
So I decided to buy parts for a new computer and decided to use old HDD, cd/dvd drive to save money.
Here is what I bought

CPU: AMD A6 3500
PSU: generic 650w
RAM: Kingston 2gb ddr3 1333
MOBO: Gigabyte a55m ds2

So I clean installed win 7 64 bit it booted fine, but I notice I occasionally have some freezes like 1-3 seconds, and when I close my games after I play I noticed that it stays at a black screen for 1-3 seconds also. The next day I booted up my pc I encountered an error message saying "disk read error press ctrl alt delete" after seeing that I changed the place of the sata cable into another port, then it worked fine.

Is the problem lack of RAM? because I'm thinking of changing my ram into
"Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3(2x4gb) 1600"
or the problem is the HARD DRIVE? can someone help me. thanks! :ouch:

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hello,

You don't mention what the old HDD is, if you had any problem with it in the past, if it's using AHCI or IDE mode.
And did you delete all the data off the HDD before cleaning installing Win-7, or did you just upgrade over an old OS.

the error msg "disk read errors" means there's a problem reading data from the HDD.

Look in the Administrative Services "Event viewer", see if there are any critical errors indicating problems reading this disk.

Then download and run HD Tune. Look at the Info Tab, then the Health Tab for SMART problems, then run a Benchmark Read test, and finally run the Error Scan Tab test, which will scan the complete drive for sector error reading. That should tell you if there are any serious problems with this HDD.

gwapings101

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Hi, thanks for replying.
The HDD is "Seagate 80GB ST380811AS SATA"
I didn't have any problems with it in the past.
Yes I did delete all the data off the HDD before clean installing.
So I opened event viewer and I clicked on the + on critical it says there "event id 41, source kernel-power, log system"

I will download and run HD Tune now.
EDIT:
So after running error scan, I got all green blocks and no red one, that means my HDD is running fine right? Anyone knows why I'm getting occasional freezes? thanks!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Yes, the all green blocks means there aren't bad sectors or errors on the HDD.

The ID error 41 means the computer wasn't shut down normally. In other words, you turned it off before it shut down properly.
Go back in the Event Viewer, and see if there are any other Critical Errors listed, that may be related to the HDD>

gwapings101

Honorable
May 23, 2012

thanks for replying, no there is not any critical errors listed that are related to the HDD so I assume that the problem is the ram right? btw, I'm hearing laser like sounds at my pc, anyone knows what that is?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

Two things to do to help figure the problem.

In relation to the funny "laser" sounds, go to this URL which has sounds of bad or failing HDDs. Take a listen to the section relating to your HDD and see if any match.

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Also run Chkdsk /r /f C: run as Administrator from the cmd prompt, and it will run when you boot up. With these switches, it will scan your whole HDD and move data off questionable sectors and mark bad sectors. That way, if there is any problem, the HDD won't use them. For a 1Tb HDD this could take several hours.

The other is to check the RAM. The easiest way is to boot up your computer, just after the splash screen, click several times on F8, to get to Advanced Boot Options, then Repair Your Computer, then System Recovery Options. LogOn as Administrator. One of the 5 choices is Memory Diagnostics (checks for failing memory, choose the Standard test which runs 8 different tests. It will run the next time you boot your computer, since the applet has to run before booting into windows. May take a while.

That may help pin down the problem.