Sign in with
Your question

Used wrong recovery disk

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2010 8:07:32 PM

Hello, I have a XPS 450 my son tried to reformat the HD unfortunately he mistakenly used an Inspiron recovery for laptop. Now desktop will not boot, keyboard will not work to press F12 to boot from cd so I can install a fresh WINDOWS XP. Is there a chance to make it boot with new OS windows xp?

joji

More about : wrong recovery disk

July 18, 2010 8:31:58 PM

If you take the hard drive out, will it boot from the CD?

If so, use another computer to reformat/wipe the drive then put it back and try again.
m
l
July 18, 2010 10:04:28 PM

Did not work. Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 12:41:39 AM

Try removing the cmos battery on the motherboard, then putting it back in about 5 minutes later, that should reset the motherboard to default settings, see if you can get it to boot back up.

Can you even get to the bios screen? If so you should be able to change the boot order from there, then when you setup windows, be sure when it reboots during setup, to catch it and reset it so the hdd is the main startup device again.
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2010 11:36:45 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Try removing the cmos battery on the motherboard, then putting it back in about 5 minutes later, that should reset the motherboard to default settings, see if you can get it to boot back up.

Can you even get to the bios screen? If so you should be able to change the boot order from there, then when you setup windows, be sure when it reboots during setup, to catch it and reset it so the hdd is the main startup device again.

I will remove it. An try it again. It wpnt get to the bios at all. Thanks. Let I know later.
m
l
!