Sign in with
Your question

Kingwin st31640a windows 7 driver

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2012 6:43:48 PM

I have a kingwin 2535 on my windows7 system and am trying to get data off a seagate st31640a hard drive.
My system shows a mass storage device but it does not recognize the drive.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
September 22, 2012 7:04:42 PM

Hi John & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Make sure the HDD is connected to the adapter, and the power is on and it is spinning.

Then turn your computer on, check in the BIOS system startup, and make sure the BIOS sees the HDD as a hardware device.

Then boot up to windows, go to the device manager, and see if it is seen either in the Drives section, or USB section below.

Then right click on My computer, choose manage, and in the left lower area click on Disk Management. See if it is recognized in the lower graphical section as Disk # 2 or 3 or 4. If there, make sure it has a letter assigned in the Volume Info column to the right.

If it's still a problem, please take a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box with everything plugged in, and post it for us here to see exactly what the problem is.
a c 271 G Storage
September 22, 2012 7:26:31 PM

Is the drive jumpered as master?
Related resources
September 26, 2012 7:39:06 PM

fzabkar said:
Is the drive jumpered as master?

thanks fzabkar - initially it was as a master -the Kingwin did nothing.
I changed to"slave" and at least the kingwin showed as a mass storage device.
I now have it jumpered as "cable select" with the same results as "slave"
Its not showing up in the hardware manager only in device window.
I will follow John-VanKirks suggestions and see what happens
September 26, 2012 7:47:36 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi John & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Make sure the HDD is connected to the adapter, and the power is on and it is spinning.

Then turn your computer on, check in the BIOS system startup, and make sure the BIOS sees the HDD as a hardware device.

Then boot up to windows, go to the device manager, and see if it is seen either in the Drives section, or USB section below.

Then right click on My computer, choose manage, and in the left lower area click on Disk Management. See if it is recognized in the lower graphical section as Disk # 2 or 3 or 4. If there, make sure it has a letter assigned in the Volume Info column to the right.

If it's still a problem, please take a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box with everything plugged in, and post it for us here to see exactly what the problem is.

Thank you John_Van Kirk - i'll give it a shot
a c 271 G Storage
September 26, 2012 8:07:09 PM

If you connect the Kingwin bridge PCB on its own, it will probably show up in Device Manager as a USB mass storage device. The fact that it doesn't do so when the drive is jumpered as master would suggest that the drive is not communicating with the bridge IC. A lot of bridges don't play well with IDE drives.

I downloaded the Win98 driver from the following URL:
http://kingwin.com/products/cate/accessories/adapters/u...
http://kingwin.com/download_center/uploads/EZ_connect/e...

The INF file identifies the bridge IC as a JMicron JM20338.

MfgName="JMicron"
DeviceDesc="JM20338 SATA, USB Combo"
%DeviceDesc%=JMUSB.install,USB\VID_152D&PID_2338

I have an enclosure with a similar bridge (JM20337). AIUI, there is a bug (insidious data corruption) in some PCB designs, but this bug does not prevent the drive being detected. I'm not sure whether the same bug applies to the JM20338.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Bar...
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
September 26, 2012 8:18:00 PM

fzabkar said:
If you connect the Kingwin bridge PCB on its own, it will probably show up in Device Manager as a USB mass storage device. The fact that it doesn't do so when the drive is jumpered as master would suggest that the drive is not communicating with the bridge IC. A lot of bridges don't play well with IDE drives.

Hi Fzabkar,

Really appreciate your knowledge and insight into HDDs and their connectivity.

You had mentioned just looking at how the USB-SATA or IDE bridge ID's itself to the Device Manager in Windows. Is there any way you can tell if a bridge is configured as a 32bit or 64 bit device that would play well with larger and larger HDD's? Also is there any way to firmware upgrade a USB-IDE bridge so that it would work properly, as in John's situation?
September 26, 2012 10:17:42 PM

Here is the current situation - The BIOS does identify the drive as long as I have it strapped for "cable select" however, the system does not continue on to "boot up" it sticks on "starting windows". Help! John
a c 271 G Storage
September 26, 2012 10:43:26 PM

AIUI, most bridges have 32-bit microcontrollers, often based on 32-bit versions of the old 8-bit Intel 8051. It's not a question of 32-bit versus 64-bit, instead it's a matter of whether the firmware accommodates 48-bit LBAs or is limited to 32-bit LBAs. If you remember the old 28-bit LBA limit of certain BIOSes, you'll understand that it's purely a firmware limitation, not hardware.

As for whether the firmware has a 32-bit LBA limitation, I don't know how to determine this simply by looking at a specification sheet, unless it explicitly mentions support for drives larger than 2TiB.

One other important consideration may be whether the bridge firmware uses a block size of 512 bytes or 4096 bytes. The latter method is used by WD and Seagate to enable their 3TB My Book and GoFlex products to work with Windows XP using single NTFS-formatted MBR partitions. WD has a Quick Formatter tool that enables the user to change the block size back to 512 bytes, but this is obviously data destructive.

The following command line will report 4096 bytes per sector and 4096 bytes per cluster for a 3TB My Book or GoFlex external mass storage device:

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo

According to WD's documentation, some third party bridge firmware approaches the Windows XP compatibility problem by enumerating the external drive as two physical disks, each of which is less than 2TiB in capacity. In fact there was a thread at Tom's Hardware where a user was able to flash his bridge firmware to revert to a single 3TB 512-byte physical drive. IIRC, he did this by locating generic firmware that matched his bridge IC.

As for John's problem, I would look for JMicron firmware updates.
September 26, 2012 11:02:06 PM

Thank you Fzabkar and John_VanKirk for looking into this problem for me. The conversations between you two is getting pretty deep - just keep in mind that I have a Dell Inspiron with a Windows 7 operating system. John
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
September 26, 2012 11:50:41 PM

Hi again John,

Didn't want to get off topic. If this is an adapter bridge problem, that may not be easily fixable with that unit:

Couple of low tech questions: first, do you by chance have at your disposal any other USB-IDE adapter, like the Vantec 2.0 or 3.0 model? That just might interface with your Seagate IDE drive set up as a Master?

The other idea is if there is on a desktop available, an IDE connector, or one on an older CD/DVD burner, that you could connect temporarily to get the data off the IDE drive.

Lastly, if you have access to a more recent desktop computer that has SATA ports, your could purchase a SATA-IDE adapter board for lesss than $5, and try to get your data off that way.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B002PN8B1...

Most of the IDE's have to be jumpered as Master, to work with a USB adapter. You have really tried that, and the CS and Slave settings without success.

September 27, 2012 9:29:34 PM

when I bought the kingwin usi-2535 adapter, I thought I was getting the perfect universal adapter to transfer data from an old computer to a new computer. This is not the case and documentation on these products and technical support from their mfgs are non existant. Anyhow, I do not have another adapter nor do I have a IDE computer that can transfer data to a CD. This leaves me with option 3 - get a SATA-IDE adapter "CARD" (I see Kingwin makes one.) Thank you again for your help I need to go write a review on amazon about the Kinman 2535.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
September 27, 2012 10:25:37 PM

Hi John,

For the SATA/IDE adapter card, make sure you get one with the correct conversion going from an IDE drive to SATA cable. They make them both ways.

FWIW, I pulled out a brand new WD 500GB IDE "spare" HDD, and connected it with a Vantec CB ISATAU2 IDE/SATA USB adapter unit, which I have, and it worked fine set as a master. Recognized the IDE drive right away. So as Franc said, possibly it's in the USB bridge of the Kingwin.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-In.... It's $15 on Amazon. Might also be worth a try.

Once you get your data copied over, then you'll wonder what to do with the old IDE drive!

October 2, 2012 6:20:52 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi John,

For the SATA/IDE adapter card, make sure you get one with the correct conversion going from an IDE drive to SATA cable. They make them both ways.

FWIW, I pulled out a brand new WD 500GB IDE "spare" HDD, and connected it with a Vantec CB ISATAU2 IDE/SATA USB adapter unit, which I have, and it worked fine set as a master. Recognized the IDE drive right away. So as Franc said, possibly it's in the USB bridge of the Kingwin.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa400/John_VanKirk/VantecISATAU2adapter.png

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-In.... It's $15 on Amazon. Might also be worth a try.

Once you get your data copied over, then you'll wonder what to do with the old IDE drive!

Well, I did hear from the Kingwin tech department.
They stated that the HD must be strapped for "CS".
As for the "hang" they suggested I try a different computer running windows 7.
Here is my plan: I am going to my winter residence soon where I have a computer running windows XP.
I can connect up the drive to it as a 2nd drive. I can then "burn" files to a CD or even copy to a flash drive via the USB port on that system. Thanks again for your efforts in trying to resolve this issue for me. John
!