Intel boards for i3 processors

logicallimit

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Which are the best combination intel motherboards and third party RAM for following range of processors?

1 - i3
2 - i5
3 - i7
4 - i7 extreme

I am looking for stability and performance as main deciding factor in choosing motherboard and RAM.

Solution
Its hard not to recommend Sandy Bridge for all your needs.

1. Core i3-2100 with Intel® Desktop Board DH67VR
2 and 3. Core i5-2500 with same board since it compatible.
Core i7-2600k with Destop Board DH67CLB3
4. Core i7-2600k with Destop Board DP67BGB3 or Core i7 990x extreme edition with Desktop board DX58SO2

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
It all depends on what your going to do with it. An i3 can be just as stable as an i7 extreme. As far as performance go, obviously an i7 will give you more performance across the board. You have to measure it as performance value. Are you planning on overclocking? If so then stability will depend on your overclock settings. I recommend an Asus board and Kingstone or Corsair RAM with i7 2600k.

This is a list of High end motherboards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-p67-extreme6-asus-p8p67-deluxe-msi-p67a-gd80,2924.html

Best RAM performance Value:
Kingstone HyperX T1

logicallimit

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Thanks for that informative reply.
What I am trying to do is assemble desktops based on usages. i decided as following:

1 - i3 range of processors - For normal home use and for academics purposes of schools and collage students.
Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor (4M Cache, 2.93 GHz) to Intel® Core™ i3-560 Processor (4M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
2 - i3 range of processors - For business use like multiple office applications or financial softwares.
Intel® Core™ i3-560 Processor (4M Cache, 3.33 GHz) - Intel® Core™ i3-2120 Processor (3M Cache, 3.30 GHz)
3 - Workstation for application developers of java/.net technology
i5 to it extreme range of processors
4. For hardcore gamers.
i5 to it extreme range of processors.

But I want motherboards to be of intel for all these combinations. RAM and graphics card can be of any company.

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Its hard not to recommend Sandy Bridge for all your needs.

1. Core i3-2100 with Intel® Desktop Board DH67VR
2 and 3. Core i5-2500 with same board since it compatible.
Core i7-2600k with Destop Board DH67CLB3
4. Core i7-2600k with Destop Board DP67BGB3 or Core i7 990x extreme edition with Desktop board DX58SO2

Solution

logicallimit

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

I think there are various models in H61 series which if I am right is from the "Classic" series of models.

DH61BE, DH61CR, DH61DL, DH61WW.

Is there any particular model you are talking of?
I suppose H61 series can be an option for normal to medium range of workstations or gaming system with i3 to i5 processors.

One more question to ask. While building a new system should one go for second generation of i processor range. How significant previous generation of i processors remains with the advent of second generation of i processors ?

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
All sandy bridge chips include a graphics processor on the die. In order to utilize the chips graphics processor you need motherboards with a video I/O port. H67 boards allow the use of the graphics processor, but the P67 does not. You will need a dedicated graphics card with P67 boards. That is basically the only difference. Regardless of this, all sandy bridge chips are compatible in either H67 or P67, just remember that if you use a P67 you WILL need a GPU or it will not post.

logicallimit

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Right maverick. I have been reading this on intel site also. If the price of system has to be kept lower by not using dedicated graphics card then H67 series is an option which will allow the graphics processing capability of the processors to be used.

But wat about the motherboard with H61 series ?

logicallimit

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Personally I m fan of Asus in MOBO and have always used their product in my system build up.
But I think, intel boards have improved a lot with the launch of their i range of processors. Of-course they were never good at MOBO biz earlier. But story is changing now. One more reason for me to choose intel boards is they allow to brand the boot up/ bios to show your company's name and logo. Also, they have pretty good marketing tools to be used by system integrators in their website.

I refuse to use Intel MOBOs, I appreciate what you believe. There are way too many caveats and/or limitations to their BIOS. Next, if you use a 'K' then verify that the P67 model chosen will indeed allow an OC and support your speed RAM.

Intel has too many H/W & BIOS bastardized issues not to ignore, so be very careful.

I like ASUS too but similarly I'm skeptical of their P67 MOBOs, the Maximus IV Extreme and P8P67 WS Revolution seem okay. Likewise Gigabyte UD5 & UD7 and most MSI seem to be the least problematic; knock on wood.

logicallimit

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

I understand your point and agree to a certain degree with it.
But do you have any idea if some branding is allowed to be done in Asus or other manufacturer's MOBOs as allowed by intel. From branding I mean, when system starts, show own company's logo. Like done in case of Dell or HP or HCL systems.

Of course I am evaluating all options and would definitely keep your point in mind.

The 'SIMPLEST' is to turn-off the 'ASUS' BIOS screen, or use MyLogo {verify MOBO supports it) and also is customize the Windows screen -> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5382-log-screen-change.html?filter%5B2%5D=Appearance%20Personalize or http://logonuibgchanger.codeplex.com/documentation . Also, screwing with the Windows 'Boot Screen' can be done but is more difficult and potentially results in corruption if you don't know what you're doing. Most common is to have a custom OEMINFO.INI file with picture e.g. -> http://www.walkernews.net/2008/04/13/how-to-add-an-oem-logo-to-vista-system-properties/

I OEM build and couldn't care less about any of this...anything for than OEM info just aggravates the users. In addition, there are OS activation options; most people want to FULLY register and create USER names. If you're and OEM Builder it's there in you documentation.

logicallimit

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Thanks jaquith.
A very valuable piece of information and useful links. Appreciate your help. Will help me greatly.

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
The H61 chipset are to be used in budget Sandy Bridge systems and should be a great choice for users who will buy cheaper Pentium CPUs. It uses the mini-ITX form factor and allows users to install up to 16GB of DDR3 memory in the two full-length DIMM sockets installed.

This boards are still compatible with any sandy bridge chip. The difference is the form factor and that it is limited on hardware upgrades. Make sure that the case support ITX form factor. Good for small form factor cases and HTPCs.