Sign in with
Your question

Why doesnt my computer detect my 32g sandisk usb stick

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2012 7:13:56 PM

i have just brought the usb stick and i plugged it into my windows 7 laptop. as soon as i plugged it in my computer went to safe mode and i had to restart it and remove a virus.
The computer does detect the usb stick in the bottom left hand corner of my screen when i plug it in but if i go to
computer tab it is not there. i have uninstalled and re installed but it still says that there is nothing there. apart from the remove safely button in the bottom right of my computer
can any1 help me plz
September 23, 2012 2:32:43 AM

Hi. Will your computer recognise other usb sticks?

I know there is an issue with some computers that they doesn't find big usb sticks. I remember one case where a computer refused to recognise a 16Gb pen drive.
However, I didn't remember it hat it was the mainboard itself that was the problem.

In your case, the virus issue you had could be the cause why the pen drive isn't recognised. There is not every time when a virus is removed from a system that the system is really back on track. This may be the case.

Try the memory stick on another computer to make sure that it isn't the pen drive that is bad.

If the pen drive is ok, then you can boot the computer with a Linux live-cd having the pen drive attached to the computer. That way you can tell if there is the mobo is the problem or the os.
September 23, 2012 3:31:47 PM

hi, thanx for your reply,
i have other usb sticks that are 4g and they work fine.
i also have a 2t external hard drive that connects via usb and that has no problem either.
i dont have access to another computer to see if it works unfortunately.

where would i get a linex live cd from?
thanx for help :) 
Related resources
September 23, 2012 3:42:26 PM

i dont understand because the computer beeps when i plug the usb stick in and when i remove it.
But i cant see it in the computer tab in the windows menu
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 17, 2013 6:25:55 PM

you have to format it again,go in computer and click on driver that shows up when you insert the usb then right click mouse and click on format and it will work again.
!