Sign in with
Your question

Forced "upgrade" - leaking capacitors - please help

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2010 11:09:57 PM

I just discovered that my gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 MB has two of those blasted leaky
capacitors. So, I need to put together a replacement system A.S.A.P. One BIG problem
though is that I am unemployed for the first time in my life :fou:  due to some ripoff
corporate raiders who bought our publicly traded company and shipped off all the jobs
to Bangalore. Yeah, I've been bangalored dammit! Anyway, I need to save every last
penny I can right now.

I have put off upgrading for some time now because of the fact that I have numerous
OS's installed. I.e. 3 copies of XP, Vista, Ubuntu. Hopefully I can move some of these
to VMWare with a new X6 CPU and the new virtualization technology.

Anyway, I am planning to build a new system that uses a lot of the components in my
current system and sell the replaced components on ebay to cover as much of the
upgrade as possible. I will probably be about $150 to $200 short I am thinking. Since
I have been out of system building for quite some time as you can tell by the age of
my current system, I would really appreciate some advice on my proposed new
system. Remember, prices and compatibility with current components is as important
as anything else.

Proposed New system - Prices are estimated:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 95w - (as soon as I can find one of the 95w cpu's) - $220.00

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $155.00

RAM:
OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold Edition - CAS8 - $120.00
or
CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 XMS3 4GB kit 240-pin pc3-12800 DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 - $120.00

VIDEO: Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIe - (Add another later for CrossFire) - $160.00

Total outlay about 650.00 - I may need to add a better CPU cooler later :) 

Current components I will be using with the above are:

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V

Disk Drives: 250gb Western Digital SATA - these drives are the older 150 SATA
400gb Seagate SATA
400gb Hitachi SATA
DVD/RW: Samsung SH-S203B - SATA
DVD/RW: LiteOn LH-20A1H - IDE
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser
Monitor: LG L204WT Flatron LCD display 20"
Sound: SoundBlaster X-FI ExtremeMusic
Speakers: Logitech 680 5.1 Speaker System

Components for sale - Hopefully they will sell for 400.00 to 500.00

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core (it was a *NEW BOXED* cpu bought in March 2007 for 421.00)
xAsetek Vapochill Micro - Xtreme Performance AMD K8 CPU Cooler

2GB kit of Mushkin Redline PC4000 RAM
1GB kit of Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO - Low Latency RAM
HIS Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP HDCP Ready IceQ3 Turbo with a higher performance fan
than the original - it runs 4 degrees cooler than stock which was already awesome

What do you think of my "new" system?

Thanks....Nuihc
July 19, 2010 2:50:55 AM

If you don't mind me being brutally honest. I would expect less than $150 for all your components for sale.

And it will probably take 2-3 months to get them sold.
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:22:16 AM

Agreed that your optimism on your current parts is ill fated.
CPU $200.
Ram $75 total?
GPU $35

As for the new system, right now I'd worry more about functional and not high performance. Unless you plan to CF 5870s later, you don't need the FX flavor of mobo. You can save some by going with any 8xx CF board. Asrock makes the extreme 870 and 880 with dual 8x PCI slots for CF. Or a 890GX.

As for the gaming performance, a 20" monitor might be as high as 1680x1050? A 5750 would be a good balance and be found a little cheaper than the 5770. A pair will still do well after a monitor upgrade later.

The ram is overkill too. You'll do just fine with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A small voltage bump will really let these OC nicely and tighten those timings down.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 3:24:41 AM

cmcghee358 said:
If you don't mind me being brutally honest. I would expect less than $150 for all your components for sale.

And it will probably take 2-3 months to get them sold.

Maybe so. The same Mushkin redline RAM just sold on ebay for 68.00 a couple of weeks ago. And people are still paying high prices for the FX-60 since it is the top of the line for socket-939 users who can't or won't upgrade their MB. It was selling for everything between 500-1000.00 just a couple of years ago. I am expecting to bring in 220-250.00 or so on that (with the humongous heatsink/fan), 30-40.00 on the XMS corsair, 30-50.00 on the agp video card.

These are all prices that I found in recently "sold" items on ebay so if I can get even 350.00 I'll be happy. And I am in no hurry to sell whatsoever. But whatever I get will be helpful.

So what do you think of my completed system? My main worry is that everything play nice together. When I get back to work I'll think about an intel core6 (unless AMD has surprised them with some as yet unheard of monster CPU - which the way it's been going with my job search, they will probably have enough time to develop one). But I believe the phenom X6 will be pretty decent for what I need.

Nuihc
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:45:54 AM

skora said:
Agreed that your optimism on your current parts is ill fated.
CPU $200.
Ram $75 total?
GPU $35

As for the new system, right now I'd worry more about functional and not high performance. Unless you plan to CF 5870s later, you don't need the FX flavor of mobo. You can save some by going with any 8xx CF board. Asrock makes the extreme 870 and 880 with dual 8x PCI slots for CF. Or a 890GX.

As for the gaming performance, a 20" monitor might be as high as 1680x1050? A 5750 would be a good balance and be found a little cheaper than the 5770. A pair will still do well after a monitor upgrade later.

The ram is overkill too. You'll do just fine with this:

A small voltage bump will really let these OC nicely and tighten those timings down.

Thanks Skora. I'll definitely read up on the other Asrock models. Luckily I just found the OCZ RAM for 102.00, and unfortunately I have to pay super high taxes on Newegg since I've moved to a diff state. So that G. Skill RAM will cost me 100.50. May as well go with the OCZ for a buck-50. Yes my Monitor's default is 1680x1050. I do play quite a few driving games with my Logitech G25 wheel and pedals so I do need some power for the video. In fact, I have dropped down from a 5850 to the 5770 figuring it would be powerful enough for now with the Crossfire for later. Seems I always wind up buying more than I start out to whether I'm buying a new PC or a new vehicle. :)  But I will try to keep it down this time.

And of course I'll overclock the thing. I haven't had a stock clock since my old pentium 133. (just b4 the fantastic celeron 300 came out). I'm looking for 3.7 ghz for now with 4.x as soon as I can afford to add much better cooling.
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:40:34 AM

Honestly, I would not spend what you intend to spend. Shave some cash off. Why not look at an Athlon II x4? And why not look at a cheaper board? Not being mean, but just being brutally honest. I'm unemployed myself. Let's be real dude, not being mean, but guys like you and I don't have money to be spending like that. I bought a couple of games when I pulled my retirement out, but now, I'm spending 50 to repair my computer, and may spend 20 to get another stick of ddr2 somewhere later. I know you need a computer, but honestly, take a step back, what do you really need? It sounds like you are coming from socket 939, so honestly, even the Athlon II's will probably be a huge upgrade for you. Get a good foundation build, and then once you are back to work, you can build it into the beast you really want.

What's wrong with this chip? It may not be a phenom 2, but what will something like this not do that you need? Or even get a 3.0 ghz triple core for around 75 and upgrade later when you have cash. Also, maybe go with a cheaper motherboard if you can.

So if you go to the Athlon II, you drop 120 off the build. Going to a 5750 should give you about 30 extra. And also, the ram skora suggested should save you 30.

So right there, you've just save 180, more than what you said you were short. As I said, you may consider the x3 with the intent to upgrade.

Also, this is a budget board, but how much functionality would be lost with say a board like this one?

It would shave off nearly 100 bucks. But appears to have decent features for it's price.
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:21:47 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Honestly, I would not spend what you intend to spend. Shave some cash off. Why not look at an Athlon II x4? And why not look at a cheaper board? Not being mean, but just being brutally honest. I'm unemployed myself. Let's be real dude, not being mean, but guys like you and I don't have money to be spending like that. I bought a couple of games when I pulled my retirement out, but now, I'm spending 50 to repair my computer, and may spend 20 to get another stick of ddr2 somewhere later. I know you need a computer, but honestly, take a step back, what do you really need? It sounds like you are coming from socket 939, so honestly, even the Athlon II's will probably be a huge upgrade for you. Get a good foundation build, and then once you are back to work, you can build it into the beast you really want.

What's wrong with this chip? It may not be a phenom 2, but what will something like this not do that you need? Or even get a 3.0 ghz triple core for around 75 and upgrade later when you have cash. Also, maybe go with a cheaper motherboard if you can.

So if you go to the Athlon II, you drop 120 off the build. Going to a 5750 should give you about 30 extra. And also, the ram skora suggested should save you 30.

So right there, you've just save 180, more than what you said you were short. As I said, you may consider the x3 with the intent to upgrade.

Also, this is a budget board, but how much functionality would be lost with say a board like this one?

It would shave off nearly 100 bucks. But appears to have decent features for it's price.

Well thanks for bringing me back to reality. I needed it. Not only am I unemployed but because of the way they run it in my state I am no longer even getting an unemployment check. Living off my savings right now. It's a real shock when you have to go on unemployment to find out how things work and that not everyone, even in the same state, gets the same length of time on unemployment. To anyone that reads that people in high unemployment states get 99 weeks total of unemployment/extended emergency unemployment - don't believe it. Doesn't work that way.

<Rant off>

Anyway, thanks again. I may not get that board exactly but I am going to do some better research on all of the components I need and try my best to get the price down to close to what I can reasonably expect from my spare parts.

Nuihc
m
l
July 19, 2010 7:03:45 PM

Yeah, and even if you have to, grab a 4670 or something like that for temporary. Not a monster card, but be about the same as a 9600gt and dirt cheap too.
m
l
!