Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Basically for the past few months the hard drive has been going on and off randomly on the pc that it was attached to. By on and off i mean the system cannot detect it at times. SO any way because it was an old 5/6 years old machine i figured it's time for upgrade any way so i removed the HDD and replaced the machine with one of my newer once an i7 etc etc. The machine i replaced it with has 4 hard drives including an SSD so everything works fine on it picture perfect. However upon inserting the hard drive of doom the entire system crashes and burns to ashes. Basically it keeps looping the windows loading logo endlessly. Further more to test this theory i put the 1TB drive that creates the issues on my actual gaming rig after i insert the drive i get the exact same issue. So in short every computer that this drive gets hooked up on does not work. And since i can still access the BIOS on all the computers i noticed that the drive has about 4000 cylinders rather than the usual thousands it has. My question is has anyone ever encountered a similar problem and if so is there any possible solution rather than throwing the drive out.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Download and run HD Tune or the trial version of HD Tune Pro against this HDD. First check the Info Tab for specs about the drive, then check the Health Tab to see if there are any issues regarding the self reporting of problems, then run the Benchmark Tab test to see if there are any problems with Read transfer rates, and last run the Error Scan Tab test that will scan the complete disk to see if there are any bad sectors on the disk.

Regarding the Boot Loops you notice running one program, go to the Motherboard Forum, Gigabyte Boards, and the first post is by Billbat. He talks about boot loops and how to correct them. May be as simple as just resetting, or flashing the BIOS to the latest available.

Let us know what you find.

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

I cannot run any program as i am unable to boot whilst the hard drive is attached. At best i can probably run hirens both bios'es of both boards i used are flashed to the latest i periodically flash them as soon as a new bios becomes available.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Is Doom the only program on this HDD? Is there anything you can't reload that's on it now?

Also are you now connecting it by a USB ext connector, or directly on the MB by a SATA port? If by USB, you could connect it after the desktop is up and running, since USB is hot swappable, then run HD Tune. If not, I'd not put your new high end computer at further risk, and just chalk the Doom disk up to a defective unit, or bad hair day, or whatever you want to call it. A new 6G SATA now is < $100. It's not worth repeatedly putting your new rig at risk.

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

I just called it " the hard drive of doom" because it prevents everything it is attached to from working. And i plug it directly into the MOBO. First pc via the normal way and on my gaming rig it was via the hot swap able. After i remove it seems as if there is no permanent damage to the system of any sort. Problem is that i am thinking the entire thing is broken to hell.