Solved

EVGA 470 vs Sapphire 5870 ~ $400

I just had the pleasure of having to RMA a XFX 5870 that seemed to suffer from the Grey Screen of Death issue. At first I thought it may have been a driver issue, but now I think it may just affect certain cards.

I'm willing to give the 5870 another chance, but I'd like to buy from better quality manufacturer. I'm also willing to give Nvidia a chance, because I've never had a problem with them and their drivers are reliable.

I want to pay around $400, so that leaves me with either the Radeon 5870 or the Geforce 470. I know that performance/temperature wise the 5870 is better. I'm not sure about drivers, but Nvidia has a better track record (Important because I'm using Win7 64bit). I chose Sapphire and EVGA, because from what I can tell they are two of the best manufactures. So which would you recommend? does the performance difference justify the price difference? I really just want a solid 60fps at 1920x1080. Thanks.

Links:
Sapphire Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCIe DDR5
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6046431&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

EVGA 012-P3-1475-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked+ 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130554

P.S. Those are the specific models that I am looking at because of their improved design features (ie. backplate + highflow bracket of 470 & Vapor-X cooling of 5870).
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about evga sapphire 5870
  1. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am in no way shape or form interested in overclocking, except a factory overclock. So, I dont think voltages matter as much for me.
  2. If you're not gonna OC, I see no point in getting anything but a reference card... but that's just me. Would save the $50 for a little higher temps.
  3. ^+1 OC monster. Could easily run like a 480.

EDIT: Oh nvm... no overclocking? :pfff:
  4. How can I tell if it is a reference card or not?
  5. Almost every reference card is unavailable or selling for $500. I just want a reliable, affordable (~$400) card that is not going to give me any more Grey Screens of Death. Am I going to notice the difference between a 470 and a 5870?
  6. midd2006 said:
    Almost every reference card is unavailable or selling for $500. I just want a reliable, affordable (~$400) card that is not going to give me any more Grey Screens of Death. Am I going to notice the difference between a 470 and a 5870?

Reference cards are cheaper, the $500 ones are most likely "Eyefinity" and what not... meaning they have more memory. Honestly, I would've just bought that XFX one since it seems newegg doesn't have any reg-o cards. Too bad you had bad luck with it =/

That one Timop posted is $420 so just a tad more, and it's got an aftermarket cooler and a *slight* overclock.
    I think it's a waste to buy a factory OC'd card, even if it is just for the warranty... it's always like a 25MHz increase WOOHOO, can just do it yourself.
    But hey, that ones cheap and is well built, so the OC is a plus.
  7. I have the Sapphire card that you are looking at coming tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think of it and if I have any issues with it such as the GSOD or black lines.
  8. Get the 5870, much cooler, faster and eats up less power. I have it and it's a great card, GTX470 might only catch up or slightly beat it in DX11. The Vapor-X is easily out of the range of the 470, OC'ed enough it can catch up to the 480 nearly and is still way cooler and uses less power. :)
  9. Well now that I've had the card for a little over 2 weeks I can say that it is OUTSTANDING. My card is maxed out in ATI Overdrive with 900Mhz core clock and 1300Mhz on the memory and the card will idle at 29-31c all day long. Under load with the fan on auto I have not seen any temps while running Furmark stress test above 65c and with the fan manually set to 50% I have not seen temps above 55c. The only thing that I cannot do with this card is max out the Heaven benchmark with all settings on max but I don't think any single card can at this point.
  10. Best answer
    If i was you i'd go for GTX470, i agree it gets pretty hot, but u can get one for like $320-$330 now. Since card is pretty close to 5870 in terms of performance i think its good bang for the buck. Just get one with lifetime warranty, EVGA PNY or ZOTAC
  11. If you want better performance the 5870 simply gives more stock.
  12. Best answer selected by midd2006.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product