vid card

My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks ago. I figure
it's as good a time as any to upgrade. (Was running a 1.5 P4, but it's just
not cutting it any more) To make a long story short, do any of the old
{AGUT} taggers want my GF4 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just
fine. I'm going to upgrade my whole gaming rig and I just don't need the
GF4. My kids rig runs a Radeon 9000 and it does well enough that I'm not
going to trouble with swapping them out. Anyhow, drop me a line and I'll
ship it to you. Only thing I ask is that you reimburse my shipping charges
after you install and drop me a local postcard (I'm a collector).
15 answers Last reply
More about card

    "goPostal" <agutgopostal@hotamil.com> Blessed us with

    > My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks
    > ago.

    Sorry to hear about the PSU dude! You're trying to run too much
    hardware on it probably or the PSU can't live up to it's power
    rating. "Tits up" that's not an oxymoron but it's definitely
    the opposite of and better than "Face Down"!.

    > I figure it's as good a time as any to upgrade. (Was running a
    > 1.5 P4, but it's just not cutting it any more) To make a long
    > story short, do any of the old {AGUT} taggers want my GF4
    > 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just fine.

    I would love it if I had something better than this low end rig
    I have now!. I think my rig was designed somewhere about the
    same time that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb or somewhere
    shortly after!. I have tried numerous other graphic cards with
    no joy. They all just plain old don't/won't work in this junk rig
    of mine. Does it have a software disc for the drivers and such?
    I think you only live a short ways from me how much do you want
    for it?

    > I'm going to upgrade my whole gaming rig and I just don't need
    > the GF4. My kids rig runs a Radeon 9000 and it does well enough
    > that I'm not going to trouble with swapping them out. Anyhow,
    > drop me a line and I'll ship it to you. Only thing I ask is that
    > you reimburse my shipping charges after you install and drop me
    > a local postcard (I'm a collector).

    Ah! now I see where you got the nic goPostal and I thought you were
    a disgruntled employee of the USPS! LOL

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    goPostal enlightened us with:
    > My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks ago.

    Aaahhhh....

    > To make a long story short, do any of the old {AGUT} taggers want my
    > GF4 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just fine.

    I'd love that! Currently, I have a GF3, which just about allows me to
    play UT2004 at 640x480, all details low. With a GF4, things will be a
    lot better, and my GF can replace her GF2 with my GF3, so she will get >
    15 FPS ;-)

    > Only thing I ask is that you reimburse my shipping charges after you
    > install and drop me a local postcard (I'm a collector).

    Do you know what the shipping charges will be to Amsterdam? You can get
    that postcard without the GF4 too if you want ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
    > goPostal enlightened us with:
    > > My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks ago.
    >
    > Aaahhhh....
    >
    > > To make a long story short, do any of the old {AGUT} taggers want my
    > > GF4 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just fine.
    >
    > I'd love that! Currently, I have a GF3, which just about allows me to
    > play UT2004 at 640x480, all details low. With a GF4, things will be a
    > lot better, and my GF can replace her GF2 with my GF3, so she will get >
    > 15 FPS ;-)
    >
    > > Only thing I ask is that you reimburse my shipping charges after you
    > > install and drop me a local postcard (I'm a collector).
    >
    > Do you know what the shipping charges will be to Amsterdam? You can get
    > that postcard without the GF4 too if you want ;-)
    >
    > MeltDown

    I'll get it out to you on Saturday Sybren. I'll need to package it really
    well for the trip and tomorrow is a Federal holiday (remembrance of Ronald
    Reagan). I think I still have your address, but just in case drop it to my
    email again. We are about half-packed for a big move from east coast to west
    coast so I'm not sure if I could find it or not :)
    Also I think I may still have the original driver disk. I can dig that up
    too, but if memory serves me right it's about a 23.XX series one. Let me
    know if you'd like it and I'll throw it in.
    The card itself works fine but my comp was just too limiting. I was getting
    a lot of processor bottleneck. After we get moved to Oregon I'm going to get
    a much better all-around system and a higher-end card. I love to play 2K4,
    but FPS in the teens is just aggravating.

    goPostal enlightened us with:
    > I'll get it out to you on Saturday Sybren.

    I love you man!

    > I think I still have your address, but just in case drop it to my
    > email again. We are about half-packed for a big move from east coast
    > to west coast so I'm not sure if I could find it or not :)

    Concider it sent ;-)

    > Also I think I may still have the original driver disk. I can dig that
    > up too, but if memory serves me right it's about a 23.XX series one.
    > Let me know if you'd like it and I'll throw it in.

    You can keep that one. My bet is that it contains only windoze drivers
    anyway.

    > The card itself works fine but my comp was just too limiting. I was getting
    > a lot of processor bottleneck.

    I've got an AthlonXP 2000+, which should be able to crank out more FPS
    than I'm getting with my GF3. I also noticed that dropping the
    resolution increases the frame rate, also pointing to a GPU bottleneck.

    > After we get moved to Oregon I'm going to get a much better all-around
    > system and a higher-end card. I love to play 2K4, but FPS in the teens
    > is just aggravating.

    Yep ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message
    >> "goPostal" <agutgopostal@hotamil.com> Blessed us with

    [Snip]

    >> I would love it if I had something better than this low end rig
    >> I have now!. I think my rig was designed somewhere about the
    >> same time that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb or
    >> somewhere shortly after!. I have tried numerous other graphic
    >> cards with no joy. They all just plain old don't/won't work in
    >> this junk rig of mine. Does it have a software disc for the
    >> drivers and such? I think you only live a short ways from me
    >> how much do you want for it?
    >
    > I will give it to Melt because he has helped me several times in
    > the past out of real jams. I owe him. Nothing personal. Would
    > you like a 52X cd burner as a consolation prize :)

    Nothing personal taken GP. I also think Melt deserves it too
    because he has helped just about everyone especially with their
    Linux probs and I don't consider myself one of the "old {AGUT}
    taggers" anyway so I actually feel like *I* have intruded or
    something!. I have an LG (that's the brand name) 24x10x40x CDRW
    drive right now that serves me well but thank you for offering the
    52x drive!.

    >> Ah! now I see where you got the nic goPostal and I thought you
    >> were a disgruntled employee of the USPS! LOL
    >>

    > I actually am, but don't tell anybody <wink>. >

    LOL I won't tell if you don't! :-)

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote
    > in message
    >> goPostal enlightened us with:
    >> > My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks
    >> > ago.

    [Snip]

    >> Do you know what the shipping charges will be to Amsterdam? You
    >> can get that postcard without the GF4 too if you want ;-)

    I will send you a postcard too from Tennessee if you want it GP
    but I need your snail mail addy. You can email it to me by
    removing the word *play* from the email addy in my headers if you
    don't want everyone to know what your addy is. Heck I'll just put
    it here for your convenience it's jhall@mlec.net

    >> MeltDown
    >
    > I'll get it out to you on Saturday Sybren. I'll need to package
    > it really well for the trip and tomorrow is a Federal holiday
    > (remembrance of Ronald Reagan). I think I still have your
    > address, but just in case drop it to my email again. We are
    > about half-packed for a big move from east coast to west coast
    > so I'm not sure if I could find it or not :)

    You live in one of the Virginia's I think don't you GP? I hope
    you're moving for good reasons and not bad ones!. I am also in
    the process of getting packed up to move to Detroit Michigan
    ( the motor city or Mowtown as it's sometimes called ) but I
    have to wait on some other business with my late father's estate
    to finish first as I am the executor.

    > Also I think I may still have the original driver disk. I can
    > dig that up too, but if memory serves me right it's about a
    > 23.XX series one. Let me know if you'd like it and I'll throw it
    > in. The card itself works fine but my comp was just too
    > limiting. I was getting a lot of processor bottleneck. After we
    > get moved to Oregon I'm going to get a much better all-around
    > system and a higher-end card. I love to play 2K4, but FPS in the
    > teens is just aggravating.

    FPS's in the single digits is what I get with UT2k3 so I don't think
    2k4 would be any better on my rig. I'm lucky though with UT, it
    plays anywhere from the 30's to the 70's and sometimes even better
    with everything to the max!. I have a Voodoo2 in a PCI slot as this
    rig doesn't have an AGP slot so AGP cards are ruled out anyway.
    Technically it does have an AGP port but it's consumed by the on
    board (hard-wired can't remove it) intel video chip. The stupid
    thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more times than not
    says something like "onboard Intel video" and onboard video is
    completely non-upgradable!!!. Once you get onboard video you're
    stuck with it!. I want a rig *with* an AGP slot free and a vid
    card that *can be removed and or upgraded* that it relies on for
    the video if something like that exists.

    Have a great day GP and good luck moving to Oregon!
    Don't forget about us once you get an internet connection! ;-)

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more times than not
    > says something like "onboard Intel video" and onboard video is
    > completely non-upgradable!!!. Once you get onboard video you're
    > stuck with it!. I want a rig *with* an AGP slot free and a vid
    > card that *can be removed and or upgraded* that it relies on for
    > the video if something like that exists.

    the older stuff was not upgradable. But ever since the i815 for the p3 all
    intel chipset boards also have agp slots ;)

    beside, don't look at a new computer. Build it yourself from places like
    http://www.newegg.com

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message

    > I will send you a postcard too from Tennessee if you want it GP
    > but I need your snail mail addy. You can email it to me by
    > removing the word *play* from the email addy in my headers if you
    > don't want everyone to know what your addy is. Heck I'll just put
    > it here for your convenience it's jhall@mlec.net

    I appreciate it J. I'll drop you a line tonight. I didn't know you "wuz a
    fellow hillbilly". :)

    > You live in one of the Virginia's I think don't you GP? I hope
    > you're moving for good reasons and not bad ones!. I am also in
    > the process of getting packed up to move to Detroit Michigan
    > ( the motor city or Mowtown as it's sometimes called ) but I
    > have to wait on some other business with my late father's estate
    > to finish first as I am the executor.

    I'm in eastern KY (for now). We are moving to Oregon in August. Can't wait
    either!! It will be nice to get away from appalachia.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > I also think Melt deserves it too because he has helped just about
    > everyone especially with their Linux probs

    :-D

    >> I actually am, but don't tell anybody <wink>. >
    > LOL I won't tell if you don't! :-)

    Oops, I read it too... ok, let's keep it between the three of us, shall
    we?

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> Blessed us with

    [Snip]

    > the older stuff was not upgradable. But ever since the i815 for
    > the p3 all intel chipset boards also have agp slots ;)

    This is something I didn't know!. Thanks Margolis!. My rig if
    you even want to adorn it with the name *rig* has the i810 in it.
    I have two other vid cards that I have tried numerous times to
    get them working but no joy!. I did everything that the manufacturer
    of the computer said to do about disabling the onboard video but it
    finally boiled down to what the vid card manufactures said about
    the vid cards needing at least a 300 watt PSU and I only have a
    100 watt PSU in a minitower Hewlett Packard. The 100 watt PSU
    is the largest PSU available for a minitower and a regular ATX
    PSU is not electronically compatible with the mobo. I have been
    looking at another system called the Vicious PC Assassin SE though
    by a company called Vicious PC. Have you heard of it? Is it any
    good? It's definitely better than what I have now and is only
    around $2899. I am looking into buying a new PC system and would
    gladly accept any and all advice from people that have *been there
    done that*!.

    :-)

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > The stupid thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more times
    > than not says something like "onboard Intel video" and onboard video
    > is completely non-upgradable!!!

    That depends - a friend of mine has a board with a NVidida chipset & an
    onboard video card. The AGP slot is still free, though - if you put
    anything into it, it overrides the onboard card, or something.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrncch2md.g3s.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > JHall enlightened us with:
    >> The stupid thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more
    >> times than not says something like "onboard Intel video" and
    >> onboard video is completely non-upgradable!!!
    >
    > That depends - a friend of mine has a board with a NVidida
    > chipset & an onboard video card. The AGP slot is still free,
    > though - if you put anything into it, it overrides the onboard
    > card, or something.

    I've been eyeballing a system called the Vicious PC Assassin SE
    by a company called Vicious PC!. It has the Athlon 64 3200+ 64 bit
    CPU, an nVidia GeForce FX 5900 GPU, an MSI K8T Neo MS-6702 VIA based
    mobo, 1gb of PC3200 DDR 400 ram, and two Western Digital 36gb SATA
    HD's in a RAID-O config for a total of 72gb. Not top of the line
    but definitely a far cry from this thing I have now and the price
    isn't too bad at $2899. You can find the exact system in the
    January 2004 issue of Computer Gaming World where they did a search
    to find the Ultimate Gaming Machine (UGM) on page 136. They said the
    Assassin didn't have a lot of memory storage in the HD's but it is
    a *stable* system and the price was great!

    > MeltDown

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > looking at another system called the Vicious PC Assassin SE though
    > by a company called Vicious PC. Have you heard of it? Is it any
    > good? It's definitely better than what I have now and is only
    > around $2899. I am looking into buying a new PC system and would

    don't know about that computer, I will try to find out about it. But I
    never recommend any prebuilt computer. Build it yourself ;o)

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > don't know about that computer, I will try to find out about it.
    > But I never recommend any prebuilt computer. Build it yourself
    > ;o)

    There is an idea!, but sad to say I wouldn't trust my own work
    building my own system as I have a hard enough time making things
    work on prebuilt ones. I'm not lazy, I'm just not all that
    technically minded in the computer area because I've only had one
    computer so far and I would be afraid I would screw things up
    worse by doing it myself!. I think it's best in my situation to
    just buy a prebuilt unit that is deemed *stable* by people that
    are technically minded. I'll probably pay a little more money
    too, but at least I will have the peace of mind in knowing that it
    will work, and I don't really want to get into building systems
    for a living. Actually I have quite the opposite view as you do
    about it. I have always thought it best for someone to buy a
    *ready tested* unit rather than build it themselves because I know
    there has to be other people like me that are not really *computer
    saavy* out there. My nephew tried to build a system of his own one
    time quite a while back and ended up frying the mobo because the
    PSU wasn't right for it and he had no clue about it. I'm just
    afraid I would do the same thing or worse. :-(

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall suggestion: Find your nearest comp store that's staffed by PC
    gamers and get them to assemble the new rig for you. That will get you
    a current gaming spec rig, properly assembled and tested.

    Jenifur Charne
    Jenifur at Hypermax Net Au

    On 11 Jun 2004 23:34:38 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

    >"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> Blessed us with
    >
    >> don't know about that computer, I will try to find out about it.
    >> But I never recommend any prebuilt computer. Build it yourself
    >> ;o)
    >
    >There is an idea!, but sad to say I wouldn't trust my own work
    >building my own system as I have a hard enough time making things
    >work on prebuilt ones. I'm not lazy, I'm just not all that
    >technically minded in the computer area because I've only had one
    >computer so far and I would be afraid I would screw things up
    >worse by doing it myself!. I think it's best in my situation to
    >just buy a prebuilt unit that is deemed *stable* by people that
    >are technically minded. I'll probably pay a little more money
    >too, but at least I will have the peace of mind in knowing that it
    >will work, and I don't really want to get into building systems
    >for a living. Actually I have quite the opposite view as you do
    >about it. I have always thought it best for someone to buy a
    >*ready tested* unit rather than build it themselves because I know
    >there has to be other people like me that are not really *computer
    >saavy* out there. My nephew tried to build a system of his own one
    >time quite a while back and ended up frying the mobo because the
    >PSU wasn't right for it and he had no clue about it. I'm just
    >afraid I would do the same thing or worse. :-(

    Case: VTech V770K-KL
    PSU: VTech Eagle 350w
    Mobo: ASUS A7S333
    Mobo Chipset:
    SiS 745
    CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2000+
    RAM: 2 sticks 265Mb Kingston ValueRAM PC2700 DDR333
    Video: ASUS V9480TVD 128Mb
    Video Chipset:
    nVidia GF4 Ti4800se
    Screen: 17inch LG Studioworks 700s
    HD: 40Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
    100Gb Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm
    DVDrom: Liteon 166s
    CDburner:
    Liteon 52327s
    Sound: SBLive 4.x Value ed
    Speakers:
    main: 2pr Yamaha YST M8 5w+5w
    sub: Yamaha YST MSW8 15w
    Casefans:
    Intake: 2x 80mm Sunon KT1280
    Extract:2x Vantec 80mm Spectrum UV Blue

Gaming Power Supplies Video Games Product