vid card

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 12:31:35 AM

My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks ago. I figure
it's as good a time as any to upgrade. (Was running a 1.5 P4, but it's just
not cutting it any more) To make a long story short, do any of the old
{AGUT} taggers want my GF4 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just
fine. I'm going to upgrade my whole gaming rig and I just don't need the
GF4. My kids rig runs a Radeon 9000 and it does well enough that I'm not
going to trouble with swapping them out. Anyhow, drop me a line and I'll
ship it to you. Only thing I ask is that you reimburse my shipping charges
after you install and drop me a local postcard (I'm a collector).

More about : vid card

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 4:59:23 AM

"goPostal" <agutgopostal@hotamil.com> Blessed us with

> My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks
> ago.

Sorry to hear about the PSU dude! You're trying to run too much
hardware on it probably or the PSU can't live up to it's power
rating. "Tits up" that's not an oxymoron but it's definitely
the opposite of and better than "Face Down"!.

> I figure it's as good a time as any to upgrade. (Was running a
> 1.5 P4, but it's just not cutting it any more) To make a long
> story short, do any of the old {AGUT} taggers want my GF4
> 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just fine.

I would love it if I had something better than this low end rig
I have now!. I think my rig was designed somewhere about the
same time that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb or somewhere
shortly after!. I have tried numerous other graphic cards with
no joy. They all just plain old don't/won't work in this junk rig
of mine. Does it have a software disc for the drivers and such?
I think you only live a short ways from me how much do you want
for it?

> I'm going to upgrade my whole gaming rig and I just don't need
> the GF4. My kids rig runs a Radeon 9000 and it does well enough
> that I'm not going to trouble with swapping them out. Anyhow,
> drop me a line and I'll ship it to you. Only thing I ask is that
> you reimburse my shipping charges after you install and drop me
> a local postcard (I'm a collector).

Ah! now I see where you got the nic goPostal and I thought you were
a disgruntled employee of the USPS! LOL

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 10, 2004 12:18:53 PM

goPostal enlightened us with:
> My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks ago.

Aaahhhh....

> To make a long story short, do any of the old {AGUT} taggers want my
> GF4 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just fine.

I'd love that! Currently, I have a GF3, which just about allows me to
play UT2004 at 640x480, all details low. With a GF4, things will be a
lot better, and my GF can replace her GF2 with my GF3, so she will get >
15 FPS ;-)

> Only thing I ask is that you reimburse my shipping charges after you
> install and drop me a local postcard (I'm a collector).

Do you know what the shipping charges will be to Amsterdam? You can get
that postcard without the GF4 too if you want ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 12:18:54 PM

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> goPostal enlightened us with:
> > My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks ago.
>
> Aaahhhh....
>
> > To make a long story short, do any of the old {AGUT} taggers want my
> > GF4 4200ti? It's "well-used" but still works just fine.
>
> I'd love that! Currently, I have a GF3, which just about allows me to
> play UT2004 at 640x480, all details low. With a GF4, things will be a
> lot better, and my GF can replace her GF2 with my GF3, so she will get >
> 15 FPS ;-)
>
> > Only thing I ask is that you reimburse my shipping charges after you
> > install and drop me a local postcard (I'm a collector).
>
> Do you know what the shipping charges will be to Amsterdam? You can get
> that postcard without the GF4 too if you want ;-)
>
> MeltDown

I'll get it out to you on Saturday Sybren. I'll need to package it really
well for the trip and tomorrow is a Federal holiday (remembrance of Ronald
Reagan). I think I still have your address, but just in case drop it to my
email again. We are about half-packed for a big move from east coast to west
coast so I'm not sure if I could find it or not :)
Also I think I may still have the original driver disk. I can dig that up
too, but if memory serves me right it's about a 23.XX series one. Let me
know if you'd like it and I'll throw it in.
The card itself works fine but my comp was just too limiting. I was getting
a lot of processor bottleneck. After we get moved to Oregon I'm going to get
a much better all-around system and a higher-end card. I love to play 2K4,
but FPS in the teens is just aggravating.
June 10, 2004 5:42:55 PM

goPostal enlightened us with:
> I'll get it out to you on Saturday Sybren.

I love you man!

> I think I still have your address, but just in case drop it to my
> email again. We are about half-packed for a big move from east coast
> to west coast so I'm not sure if I could find it or not :)

Concider it sent ;-)

> Also I think I may still have the original driver disk. I can dig that
> up too, but if memory serves me right it's about a 23.XX series one.
> Let me know if you'd like it and I'll throw it in.

You can keep that one. My bet is that it contains only windoze drivers
anyway.

> The card itself works fine but my comp was just too limiting. I was getting
> a lot of processor bottleneck.

I've got an AthlonXP 2000+, which should be able to crank out more FPS
than I'm getting with my GF3. I also noticed that dropping the
resolution increases the frame rate, also pointing to a GPU bottleneck.

> After we get moved to Oregon I'm going to get a much better all-around
> system and a higher-end card. I love to play 2K4, but FPS in the teens
> is just aggravating.

Yep ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 7:39:49 PM

> "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message
>> "goPostal" <agutgopostal@hotamil.com> Blessed us with

[Snip]

>> I would love it if I had something better than this low end rig
>> I have now!. I think my rig was designed somewhere about the
>> same time that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb or
>> somewhere shortly after!. I have tried numerous other graphic
>> cards with no joy. They all just plain old don't/won't work in
>> this junk rig of mine. Does it have a software disc for the
>> drivers and such? I think you only live a short ways from me
>> how much do you want for it?
>
> I will give it to Melt because he has helped me several times in
> the past out of real jams. I owe him. Nothing personal. Would
> you like a 52X cd burner as a consolation prize :)

Nothing personal taken GP. I also think Melt deserves it too
because he has helped just about everyone especially with their
Linux probs and I don't consider myself one of the "old {AGUT}
taggers" anyway so I actually feel like *I* have intruded or
something!. I have an LG (that's the brand name) 24x10x40x CDRW
drive right now that serves me well but thank you for offering the
52x drive!.

>> Ah! now I see where you got the nic goPostal and I thought you
>> were a disgruntled employee of the USPS! LOL
>>

> I actually am, but don't tell anybody <wink>. >

LOL I won't tell if you don't! :-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 8:13:35 PM

> "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote
> in message
>> goPostal enlightened us with:
>> > My power supply on my gaming rig went tits up couple of weeks
>> > ago.

[Snip]

>> Do you know what the shipping charges will be to Amsterdam? You
>> can get that postcard without the GF4 too if you want ;-)

I will send you a postcard too from Tennessee if you want it GP
but I need your snail mail addy. You can email it to me by
removing the word *play* from the email addy in my headers if you
don't want everyone to know what your addy is. Heck I'll just put
it here for your convenience it's jhall@mlec.net

>> MeltDown
>
> I'll get it out to you on Saturday Sybren. I'll need to package
> it really well for the trip and tomorrow is a Federal holiday
> (remembrance of Ronald Reagan). I think I still have your
> address, but just in case drop it to my email again. We are
> about half-packed for a big move from east coast to west coast
> so I'm not sure if I could find it or not :)

You live in one of the Virginia's I think don't you GP? I hope
you're moving for good reasons and not bad ones!. I am also in
the process of getting packed up to move to Detroit Michigan
( the motor city or Mowtown as it's sometimes called ) but I
have to wait on some other business with my late father's estate
to finish first as I am the executor.

> Also I think I may still have the original driver disk. I can
> dig that up too, but if memory serves me right it's about a
> 23.XX series one. Let me know if you'd like it and I'll throw it
> in. The card itself works fine but my comp was just too
> limiting. I was getting a lot of processor bottleneck. After we
> get moved to Oregon I'm going to get a much better all-around
> system and a higher-end card. I love to play 2K4, but FPS in the
> teens is just aggravating.

FPS's in the single digits is what I get with UT2k3 so I don't think
2k4 would be any better on my rig. I'm lucky though with UT, it
plays anywhere from the 30's to the 70's and sometimes even better
with everything to the max!. I have a Voodoo2 in a PCI slot as this
rig doesn't have an AGP slot so AGP cards are ruled out anyway.
Technically it does have an AGP port but it's consumed by the on
board (hard-wired can't remove it) intel video chip. The stupid
thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more times than not
says something like "onboard Intel video" and onboard video is
completely non-upgradable!!!. Once you get onboard video you're
stuck with it!. I want a rig *with* an AGP slot free and a vid
card that *can be removed and or upgraded* that it relies on for
the video if something like that exists.

Have a great day GP and good luck moving to Oregon!
Don't forget about us once you get an internet connection! ;-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 8:13:36 PM

> thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more times than not
> says something like "onboard Intel video" and onboard video is
> completely non-upgradable!!!. Once you get onboard video you're
> stuck with it!. I want a rig *with* an AGP slot free and a vid
> card that *can be removed and or upgraded* that it relies on for
> the video if something like that exists.

the older stuff was not upgradable. But ever since the i815 for the p3 all
intel chipset boards also have agp slots ;)

beside, don't look at a new computer. Build it yourself from places like
http://www.newegg.com

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 8:20:59 PM

"JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message

> I will send you a postcard too from Tennessee if you want it GP
> but I need your snail mail addy. You can email it to me by
> removing the word *play* from the email addy in my headers if you
> don't want everyone to know what your addy is. Heck I'll just put
> it here for your convenience it's jhall@mlec.net

I appreciate it J. I'll drop you a line tonight. I didn't know you "wuz a
fellow hillbilly". :)

> You live in one of the Virginia's I think don't you GP? I hope
> you're moving for good reasons and not bad ones!. I am also in
> the process of getting packed up to move to Detroit Michigan
> ( the motor city or Mowtown as it's sometimes called ) but I
> have to wait on some other business with my late father's estate
> to finish first as I am the executor.

I'm in eastern KY (for now). We are moving to Oregon in August. Can't wait
either!! It will be nice to get away from appalachia.
June 10, 2004 9:44:35 PM

JHall enlightened us with:
> I also think Melt deserves it too because he has helped just about
> everyone especially with their Linux probs

:-D

>> I actually am, but don't tell anybody <wink>. >
> LOL I won't tell if you don't! :-)

Oops, I read it too... ok, let's keep it between the three of us, shall
we?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 9:55:25 PM

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> Blessed us with

[Snip]

> the older stuff was not upgradable. But ever since the i815 for
> the p3 all intel chipset boards also have agp slots ;)

This is something I didn't know!. Thanks Margolis!. My rig if
you even want to adorn it with the name *rig* has the i810 in it.
I have two other vid cards that I have tried numerous times to
get them working but no joy!. I did everything that the manufacturer
of the computer said to do about disabling the onboard video but it
finally boiled down to what the vid card manufactures said about
the vid cards needing at least a 300 watt PSU and I only have a
100 watt PSU in a minitower Hewlett Packard. The 100 watt PSU
is the largest PSU available for a minitower and a regular ATX
PSU is not electronically compatible with the mobo. I have been
looking at another system called the Vicious PC Assassin SE though
by a company called Vicious PC. Have you heard of it? Is it any
good? It's definitely better than what I have now and is only
around $2899. I am looking into buying a new PC system and would
gladly accept any and all advice from people that have *been there
done that*!.

:-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 10, 2004 10:21:12 PM

JHall enlightened us with:
> The stupid thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more times
> than not says something like "onboard Intel video" and onboard video
> is completely non-upgradable!!!

That depends - a friend of mine has a board with a NVidida chipset & an
onboard video card. The AGP slot is still free, though - if you put
anything into it, it overrides the onboard card, or something.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2004 10:21:13 PM

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
with news:slrncch2md.g3s.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

> JHall enlightened us with:
>> The stupid thing is that whenever I look at a new comp it more
>> times than not says something like "onboard Intel video" and
>> onboard video is completely non-upgradable!!!
>
> That depends - a friend of mine has a board with a NVidida
> chipset & an onboard video card. The AGP slot is still free,
> though - if you put anything into it, it overrides the onboard
> card, or something.

I've been eyeballing a system called the Vicious PC Assassin SE
by a company called Vicious PC!. It has the Athlon 64 3200+ 64 bit
CPU, an nVidia GeForce FX 5900 GPU, an MSI K8T Neo MS-6702 VIA based
mobo, 1gb of PC3200 DDR 400 ram, and two Western Digital 36gb SATA
HD's in a RAID-O config for a total of 72gb. Not top of the line
but definitely a far cry from this thing I have now and the price
isn't too bad at $2899. You can find the exact system in the
January 2004 issue of Computer Gaming World where they did a search
to find the Ultimate Gaming Machine (UGM) on page 136. They said the
Assassin didn't have a lot of memory storage in the HD's but it is
a *stable* system and the price was great!

> MeltDown

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2004 5:55:27 PM

> looking at another system called the Vicious PC Assassin SE though
> by a company called Vicious PC. Have you heard of it? Is it any
> good? It's definitely better than what I have now and is only
> around $2899. I am looking into buying a new PC system and would

don't know about that computer, I will try to find out about it. But I
never recommend any prebuilt computer. Build it yourself ;o)

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 12, 2004 3:34:38 AM

> don't know about that computer, I will try to find out about it.
> But I never recommend any prebuilt computer. Build it yourself
> ;o)

There is an idea!, but sad to say I wouldn't trust my own work
building my own system as I have a hard enough time making things
work on prebuilt ones. I'm not lazy, I'm just not all that
technically minded in the computer area because I've only had one
computer so far and I would be afraid I would screw things up
worse by doing it myself!. I think it's best in my situation to
just buy a prebuilt unit that is deemed *stable* by people that
are technically minded. I'll probably pay a little more money
too, but at least I will have the peace of mind in knowing that it
will work, and I don't really want to get into building systems
for a living. Actually I have quite the opposite view as you do
about it. I have always thought it best for someone to buy a
*ready tested* unit rather than build it themselves because I know
there has to be other people like me that are not really *computer
saavy* out there. My nephew tried to build a system of his own one
time quite a while back and ended up frying the mobo because the
PSU wasn't right for it and he had no clue about it. I'm just
afraid I would do the same thing or worse. :-(

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
June 12, 2004 11:49:17 AM

JHall suggestion: Find your nearest comp store that's staffed by PC
gamers and get them to assemble the new rig for you. That will get you
a current gaming spec rig, properly assembled and tested.

Jenifur Charne
Jenifur at Hypermax Net Au

On 11 Jun 2004 23:34:38 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

>"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> Blessed us with
>
>> don't know about that computer, I will try to find out about it.
>> But I never recommend any prebuilt computer. Build it yourself
>> ;o)
>
>There is an idea!, but sad to say I wouldn't trust my own work
>building my own system as I have a hard enough time making things
>work on prebuilt ones. I'm not lazy, I'm just not all that
>technically minded in the computer area because I've only had one
>computer so far and I would be afraid I would screw things up
>worse by doing it myself!. I think it's best in my situation to
>just buy a prebuilt unit that is deemed *stable* by people that
>are technically minded. I'll probably pay a little more money
>too, but at least I will have the peace of mind in knowing that it
>will work, and I don't really want to get into building systems
>for a living. Actually I have quite the opposite view as you do
>about it. I have always thought it best for someone to buy a
>*ready tested* unit rather than build it themselves because I know
>there has to be other people like me that are not really *computer
>saavy* out there. My nephew tried to build a system of his own one
>time quite a while back and ended up frying the mobo because the
>PSU wasn't right for it and he had no clue about it. I'm just
>afraid I would do the same thing or worse. :-(

Case: VTech V770K-KL
PSU: VTech Eagle 350w
Mobo: ASUS A7S333
Mobo Chipset:
SiS 745
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2000+
RAM: 2 sticks 265Mb Kingston ValueRAM PC2700 DDR333
Video: ASUS V9480TVD 128Mb
Video Chipset:
nVidia GF4 Ti4800se
Screen: 17inch LG Studioworks 700s