Thndrft1

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
I have a Dell XPS 600 and I keep getting the blue screen of death. I have changed the memory and video card and I still get it. I believe that the mb is going and I am wondering if I can replace the mb and if so what brand is best for a good fit?

Welcome, Newcomer! When you get the BSODs, are the stop errors the same? are there multiple errors, but the same multiples? Meaning if you got two or three different BSODs before replacing RAM and GPU, do you get the same two or three after?

The reason I ask is that there are several reasons why you could encounter a BSOD:

1. RAM
2. Software/Hardware conflicts
3. Power issue

These three over-generalized topics have several topics/reasons to explore as well. Now, when you replaced the RAM, was the RAM the same or an upgrade?
When you replaced the video card, was it the same or an upgrade?

With RAM, you have the big three settings that often get overlooked, especially when being used in prefabricated systems, such as a Dell. If you upgraded your RAM or installed RAM that wasn't the same exact spec as was originally installed, you may still encounter BSODs because the RAM you recently installed may need to have its settings adjusted, but with the Dell system BIOS, this may not be possible, thus resulting in BSOD.

Similarly, with the GPU, if not replaced with the exact same model, you could run into BSOD issues if the drivers conflict. The best practice is to first uninstall the GPU driver by using Driver Sweeper (it's free, just google it), when possible, then download the latest driver from the net (the driver included on the disc may be outdated). Doing this will remove the possibility of driver conflict, especially if going from Nvdia-based to AMD-based, or vice versa.

When it comes to power issues, the culprit that is often to blame is the PSU. A failing PSU can fail to distribute the correct voltages to the devices that require power, thus resulting in BSOD. If you can get your hands on digital multimeter, I suggest you test the voltages of your PSU.

In regards to changing the mobo, you may find that this venture is not worth the effort. Most prefab systems have proprietary configurations that are designed from the mobo out. Meaning that once the mobo is selected for this system, the front panel connector is typically lumped together as one large connector, rather than individual connectors custom-built systems use.

Thndrft1

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
TY for the help.... I know that the ram was the same and so was the GPU. I forgot about the checking the voltages on the PSU. I have a meter so I will check them. Again ty very much for the help.

Thndrft1