Dead PC please help,dead MB?

G

Hello, my Pc was working perfectly but yesterday it just turned of and i felt that something has burned,and felt smoke. after that ive been trying to power it up,but nothing, even the psu wasnt working,totaly dead machine.i got a new psu and tryed it but still not working.then i wired green and black wire on my old psu and it worked, when i tried it in my pc it didnt boot,still dead.so im asking is my motherboard dead or is it something else.thanks :D

Welcome, Newcomer. In order to determine if the mobo is fried, you'll have to inspect it thoroughly. I've had a mobo fry once before; the layers of the mobo actually peeled apart as a result. In an obvious case like this, yeah, the mobo is gone.

Before giving up on the mobo, disconnect everything and pull the mobo out. Rebuild your system, one component at a time, outside of the case. Make sure that you place the mobo on a non-conductive surface, like a phonebook or cardboard.
Start with just the mobo and the PSU (both new and old). To turn on your system, jump the two PWR_SW pins with a flathead screwdriver, or similar tool.

If no sparks, flames, smoke, or scent of burning, power down and continue adding hardware one by one, powering on after each component. Do this until:

A. you find the part that created the burning
B. all your parts are connected and nothing burned(if you get to this point, plug in the monitor to test for display)

G

thanks for quick reply guys :D its not visually detectable so i guess ill try adding part by part

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is indeed very good advice. Do these things to confirm your diagnosis. Good luck!

G

tried everything out and in the end jpw1 connector for powering cpu has burnt,everithing works as long as i dont power it up :/
so i guess new mb it is for me xD
thanks again for help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
tried everything out and in the end jpw1 connector for powering cpu has burnt,everithing works as long as i dont power it up :/
so i guess new mb it is for me xD
thanks again for help
You are welcome. Your initial message clearly indicated the likely demise of your mobo. Sorry.

BTW, be careful if you plan to migrate stuff from your old rig to your new one. Occasionally when you have a power related failure like yours, devices get damaged in the oddest ways. No clear cut answers or things to look for, just be sure to verify performance when you build the new rig and make sure all is stable before declaring success.

Good luck!