Sign in with
Your question

Apple computer crashed

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2010 12:16:12 AM

Hello,
I have an iMac and it crashed a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get it going and save most of photos. It was working just fine and last night I was copying my photos to a disc and suddenly the color wheel came on, the computer froze and when I try to turn it on using all the different ways on the Apple book, nothing happens. The screen is blank and there is a question mark - Ithink it's the hard disk. I've exhausted all the ways of turning it on but nothing happens, just a blank white screen.

More about : apple computer crashed

July 19, 2010 12:24:20 AM

Unfortunately what you are describing sounds like the hard disk. Are you comfortable opening it? If so, on the 20 inch imacs here is how to get it apart.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-20-Inch/658/1

I was actually mac certified till about 3 months ago, should an easier fix than you think. If it is that, a standard sata hard drive should fit right in and work.
m
l
July 19, 2010 12:34:32 AM

Have you tried not holding it in the lower left corner? I hear that works.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 3:00:18 PM

cmcghee, shame on you! :lol:  :lol: 

matux, replace the the hard drive and rebuild the system. Then add the original hard drive to the system so that you can try to recover more data from it.

Then discard the old drive. Do not try to reuse it.
m
l
July 26, 2010 1:52:04 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I called Apple and the said it sounds like the hard disc and, since I have a protection plan they will replace it for free.

Mari
m
l
!