My Geforce 8800gt went bad..

cmedd32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
and im looking to upgrade this card. No sense putting the same card in that i've had for 2 years. I was thinking maybe something better but around 250-300$ range.. And this pc is strictly gaming.. Its a dell xps 720.. Any suggestions?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

For his indicated budget, a 5850 is a far greater upgrade than a 5770. I like the 5770, don't get me wrong, but a 5850 is within budget and a drastically superior card.

cmedd32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Well, they was dual 8800gts, and it was just one of them that went out.. say i bought like a gts 250.. could i run them both together or would i have to take out the remaining 8800 and just run the single gts 250?

With the changes and die shrink, I don't think the GTS 250 will run SLI with an 8800GTS (which version is it btw? 512MB? 640MB? 320MB?)

If you're stuck buying a new graphics card, a GTS 250 isn't really a ton of improvement over an 8800GTS 512MB (G92 chip) anyhow. IF it's the 512MB version, anything less than an ATI 5770 or GTX 260 would be a complete waste. And even then, isn't super substantial over your existing single 8800GTS.

Overall, still might be best money spent to go to the ATI 5850. All depends though, on what you play and at what resolution.

Forget the GTX 465 even exists. Please, forget it even exists. The ATI 5850 is a MUCH better graphics card for the price point. nVidia really messed up with the GTX 465 in my opinion (I'm an nVidia fan btw).

In the $250-$300 range the ATI 5850 is the best choice. Anything less expensive is quite a drop in performance.

Now, the question of course is whether the ATI 5850 is actually the best bet. What resolution is your monitor?

At 1920x1080 or higher the ATI 5850 is hands down my recommendation.

At 1680x1050 or lower, a single ATI 5770 or GTX 260 could do it for you.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I agree about the GTX260+, ATI and the drivers, well it's his choice, I just wish ATI would get thier drivers sorted out, I have the 260+, and I am happy but I don't care about games at 1900x1200 with all the eye candy, look, here I am at THG, having fun in the forums, how much card does that take

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
2 years on my 260, still humpin'
Timop fanboi ?
being older has it's advantage, dying a couple of time gives you a more REALISTIC view of what's important, even if when you open your mouth and prove that maybe you opened the wrong hole
Mouse monkey, I love your quote, Noli nothi permittere te terere, too awesome

Besides, I haven't seen a problem with my ATI Card yet. Yet it seems like when ATI has a problem it applies to all cards, then when Nvidia cards have problems you can just say "Didn't burn mine." and everything is fine.
Thats such are fair statement dont you think?
Glad to hear that you have not suffered any of the GSOD or vertical line issue's that were first refuted by ATi and then blamed on a Windows update.

@Number13, ;) TVM.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I just go with what DOES NOT have a LOT of problem, AMD Ax64 x2 5000+, Gigabyte GA-MA-770-US3, last year I treated my self to a 22" monitor and the 260+, BTW, I paid $130 USD for the 260, and $150 USD for the monitor, (all new)

Truthfully how many DID?
Youre making it sound like you WILL get GSOD and vertical line problems if you get an ATI.
And you make it sound like one driver release burnt out every Nvidia card, as for the GSOD/Vertical line issue it seems that enough users were affected that not only did it become a story worthy of it's own articles but it also got mention in the 10.2 driver release notes.

Whats so wrong about ATI drivers lately? Its Nvidias faulty drivers that burned Graphic Cards...

I never said that, but you cant deny the fact that it DID burn graphics cards.
Nvidia also told customers to roll back from 196.75? Didnt they?

You can't just say "ATI Drivers are BAD" because of the GSOD issues. Its not like they just left the issue unresolved.
And when did I say that? And how long has it taken to resolve the GSOD issue? A bit longer than it took Nvidia to remove the driver from their download site and issue the warning you mentioned earlier, as I recall.

that was for
I agree about the GTX260+, ATI and the drivers, well it's his choice, I just wish ATI would get thier drivers sorted out,

So if you feel like it was pointed towards you my apologies.
Why would I have felt it was pointed towards me? :heink: If you don't like the way I pointed out that it was only one driver release from Nv that had issues compared to the six or seven from ATi then perhaps you should have been more specific in naming the the driver and providing numbers of just how many people were affected so that people could compare whether it was more or less than those that have been affected by ATi's issues, which according to you wasn't that many. Not a very precise number but let's see if we can work with it anyway. :D

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Timop, I consider your signature a compliment of the highest order, and I thank you.
one of my favorite ones that probably gives away my true mental state is:
"laughter" in the eyes of authority the worst, most violent, most destructive weapon on earth

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

+1

If I was still running XP i wouldn't lust for a DX11 setup!