Sign in with
Your question

How to Format a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2 TB

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2012 11:13:29 PM

Hi, I'm not a computer whiz and I have windows 7 for a Lenovo Desktop and I was wondering how do I format a Seagate FA goflex Desk 2 TB usb storage device external hard drive. Pardon my great ignorance.

Gary
a c 104 G Storage
September 22, 2012 11:40:13 PM

Hi Gary, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Connect it to your laptop by the USB connector, power it up, then boot up your laptop.

On your laptop, right click on My Computer, Manage, in the lower left of Computer Management, click on Disk Management.

In the lower graphical area, there are two columns, the Disk Info Column and the Volumn Info Column,
You will get a dialog box that says Initialize Unknown drive. Do that.
If it gives you a choice of Basic, or Dynamic, choose Basic Drive.

The Disk Info column should say Drive 1 or 2, Basic, 2000GB, Online

Under the Volume Info Unallocated Space (Black Band) you need to right click and Partition the Disk. You may want to make 1 large 2TB Partition or a couple 1TB Partitions, or just 1 1TB Partition and leave the rest of the space Unallocated for later. Depends on what you want to do with the space.

Each Partition then needs a File System, so choose NTFS, the default 4096 Allocatuion Unit, and the computer will Format that space. Formatting a 1 TB Partition may take an hour or more. You have to Format any partition before you can assign a Volume Letter to it, and store data there. You can also give the Volume a Label, like "BackUp Drive" or "Photos" or whatever.

That should do it. Your new HDD has been Initialized into a Basic Disk Type, Partitioned into MBR Partitions, Formatted with the NTFS file system, Assigned a Volume Letter, and given a Name.
m
l
!