Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I have 64GB of RAM, how do i setup a RAM-DISK?

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 23, 2012 12:30:14 AM

Hello everyone, i bought a dream machine in mid july and one of the things everyone kept telling me was that i had too much RAM (64GB @2400Mhz)

I DO NOT do any kind of rendering/editing or run any app that can potentially use more than 4GB of RAM so i was wondering if it was OK to use the extra RAM to setup a RAM disk, my specs:

i7 3960x
4x GTX680s 4GB edition
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 64GB
Asus Rampage IV Extreme x79
3x Vertex 4 512GB RAID-0
Caselab's MAGNUM STH10
Dual Seasonic X860 (they will get replaced by a EVGA supernova)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits.


i don't play too much (3-4 hours a week) but when i do its @5760x1080 with everything maxed out with 3D enabled... i was wondering how much RAM should i left for the system??

Couple of questions:

*If my PC shuts down, will i lose everything?
*is the above is positive, is there anyway to keep the RAM ON?
*do i have to install windows on the RAM-DISK? i only intend to install BF3 and chrome.
*will a higher memory speed improve my RAM-DISK speed?


EDIT: How do i setup a RAM DISK :lol: 
September 23, 2012 12:38:15 AM

1) You will lose everything on the ram drive
2) not if you completely lose power the the computer
3) no, in fact I can't think of a really good way of installing windows to the ram disk and booting from it natively
4) probably, but more than likely be limited by the cpu/driver architecture
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 12:40:46 AM

mindless728 said:
1) You will lose everything on the ram drive
2) not if you completely lose power the the computer
3) no, in fact I can't think of a really good way of installing windows to the ram disk and booting from it natively
4) probably, but more than likely be limited by the cpu/driver architecture


Cool, thanks!! now could you tell me how to safely setup a RAM DISK :D 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 23, 2012 12:45:02 AM

idroid said:
*If my PC shuts down, will i lose everything?
*is the above is positive, is there anyway to keep the RAM ON?
*do i have to install windows on the RAM-DISK? i only intend to install BF3 and chrome.
*will a higher memory speed improve my RAM-DISK speed?

The RAM-disk content is lost whenever you reboot or shut down your PC for any reason. The closest thing to "keeping RAM on" that you can do is put your PC in standby or hibernate instead of off.

Since one or more reboots are required to install Windows, update it and install drivers, installing Windows on RAM disk would be pointless. And before you can even try to install Windows on a RAM disk, you need to create that RAM disk, something the standard Windows setup cannot do so installing Windows on a RAM disk would be extremely impractical. Simply install Windows on a fast 64GB or larger SSD instead.

Faster memory for a RAM disk is pointless. 1333MHz RAM is already faster than what most programs can use on LGA1155 boards. On a quad-channel LGA2011 board, 2400MHz is completely unnecessary overkill.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 12:54:39 AM

InvalidError said:
The RAM-disk content is lost whenever you reboot or shut down your PC for any reason. The closest thing to "keeping RAM on" that you can do is put your PC in standby or hibernate instead of off.

Since one or more reboots are required to install Windows, update it and install drivers, installing Windows on RAM disk would be pointless. And before you can even try to install Windows on a RAM disk, you need to create that RAM disk, something the standard Windows setup cannot do so installing Windows on a RAM disk would be extremely impractical. Simply install Windows on a fast 64GB or larger SSD instead.

Faster memory for a RAM disk is pointless. 1333MHz RAM is already faster than what most programs can use on LGA1155 boards. On a quad-channel LGA2011 board, 2400MHz is completely unnecessary overkill.


*Got it! i will just install BF3 and a few programs on it.

*i know my setup is overkill (EVERYTHING is watercooled) but that's exactly what i wanted to buy, an overkill system :D 


now... could you tell me how to setup a RAM disk :D 
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 12:08:56 PM

I always use SuperSpeed RamDisk.
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 3:18:09 PM

mindless728 said:
This is the best current software to set one up with, however it is limited to 4GB with a free license, the paid license is $19 USD

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/softwar...



Given that the OP spent more on his system then it takes to feed my family for 6 months, I dont think a $20 licence should be a problem :D  :D 

PS. Heck, its probably more then I *make* in 6 months :D 
m
0
l
!