Sign in with
Your question

Wep security key setup

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 16, 2010 1:03:45 AM

Hi,

I have a Nintendo DS and I am attempting to connect it wirelessly. Although it can locate my SSID, I keep getting an error saying that I need to switch my router to WEP secutiry. I have no idea how to do this with my router. I attempted to use the support website that Nintendo provided but it wasn't much help.
I am not very good with computers at all or the lingo so if you could go easy on me when explaining how I can solve this problem.

I have a Linksys router by the way. the model is WRT54G. Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to help me.

More about : wep security key setup

June 16, 2010 5:46:42 AM

Cloud0490 said:
Hi,

I have a Nintendo DS and I am attempting to connect it wirelessly. Although it can locate my SSID, I keep getting an error saying that I need to switch my router to WEP secutiry. I have no idea how to do this with my router. I attempted to use the support website that Nintendo provided but it wasn't much help.
I am not very good with computers at all or the lingo so if you could go easy on me when explaining how I can solve this problem.

I have a Linksys router by the way. the model is WRT54G. Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to help me.

[#0005ff]The methodology for getting access to the settings is laid out in post #3 in this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28102-18-suppoort-s... and when you get to the security settings, simply alter the entry that might say WPA or WPA2 to WEP and set a code of your own or one generated by a simple passphrase.

This is rather surprising though because WEP is a simple security code that can easily be and frequently is broken. If you have neighbours who might download inappropriate material, your network could provide them with a way of masking their activities.

Hopefully someone with DS experience can advise on a way to secure it and your network properly.
[/#000ff]

Anonymous
June 16, 2010 10:15:09 AM

Freaking Nintendo DS's only support WEP and not WPA. I setup my neighbor's home network with WPA only to find out later about the DS's. You would think any wireless device would work with WPA.
Related resources
June 16, 2010 2:32:39 PM

Quote:
Freaking Nintendo DS's only support WEP and not WPA. I setup my neighbor's home network with WPA only to find out later about the DS's. You would think any wireless device would work with WPA.

I certainly would have hoped so. Definitely one to remember.

June 26, 2010 6:44:51 PM

Sorry what took me so long to respond to this post. Thank you so much for your help!! I was able to figure everything out.
!