Change system date at startup.

April 7, 2005 8:48:04 PM

Is it possible to change the system date during the boot process ?
In windows98 you could set the date in autoexec using a set command.
eg set date=04-04-05
Is there anyway to acomplish the same thing in xp?
Thanks
April 7, 2005 8:48:05 PM

In news:ecPv62zOFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
quovadis <quovadis@primus.com> had this to say:

> Is it possible to change the system date during the boot process ?
> In windows98 you could set the date in autoexec using a set command.
> eg set date=04-04-05
> Is there anyway to acomplish the same thing in xp?
> Thanks

My question is why do you ask? XP includes a handy dandy feature to sync
your clock automatically so if you did set the date and had the feature
enabled it would only change back to the real date and on top of that
changing the date has caused many problems for other users in the past.

Galen
April 7, 2005 8:48:05 PM

You can place DATE and other commands in the user's or machine's context at
HKCU|HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Strictly speaking the *SET DATE* command doesn't set the date but DATE does.
April 7, 2005 11:55:03 PM

Galen wrote:
> In news:ecPv62zOFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> quovadis <quovadis@primus.com> had this to say:

>>Is it possible to change the system date during the boot process ?
>>In windows98 you could set the date in autoexec using a set command.
>>eg set date=04-04-05
>>Is there anyway to acomplish the same thing in xp?
>>Thanks
>

> My question is why do you ask?
Because I want to set the date to a certain date at startup.
>XP includes a handy dandy feature to sync
> your clock automatically so if you did set the date and had the feature
> enabled it would only change back to the real date and on top of that
> changing the date has caused many problems for other users in the past.
Thats why I dont have that "feature" enabled and why I require to set
the date to a precise date for compatability.

> Galen
Thanks.
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 11:40:47 AM

Jetro wrote:
> You can place DATE and other commands in the user's or machine's context at
> HKCU|HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
>
> Strictly speaking the *SET DATE* command doesn't set the date but DATE does.

Thanks for that.
However I put a date=03-04-05 in both places but nothing happend.
am I missing something?
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 2:40:08 PM

Create a batch file with the DATE command and create new REG_SZ key under
HKCU RUN leaf with this batch file name as data. DATE and TIME commands as
many others don't exist as independent executable files. They are the part
of Command Processor either COMMAND.COM or CMD.EXE.
I have to warn you that TimeService might correct rigged Time and Date
quickly enough.
!