GPU for video editing/gaming build

Jzcaesar

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Wasn't sure if I should post this in the new build or gpu section of the forums, so sorry if I am mistaken.

So after doing some research on pc components, I've narrowed down the list of components to the following:

CPU + MOBO: Phenom II x4 955 + Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX (IGP motherboard) $265

Case +PSU : Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Black + XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650w $130

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 F3128-CL7D-4GBRM $105

Total comes out to roughly $500 after shipping and rebates and gift card.

I'm pretty sure all of the above is compatible, but feel free to point anything out, or if there is a better deal on any of the components.

My question is basically whether it would be worth it to spend $200 on a GTX 460 in order to accelerate Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. After googling around, it seems like the GeForce cards accelerate video editing with its CUDA capability. I am wondering if anybody can confirm if this is the case, or if I should same some money and get a 5770 and possibly crossfire later. Thanks.

Solution
That's absolutely true. nVidia's cards are the only ones that have CUDA. They're also miles ahead of ATI cards in terms of video editing and other non-gaming applications.

Besides, the 460 is a lot more powerful than the 5770 already.
That's absolutely true. nVidia's cards are the only ones that have CUDA. They're also miles ahead of ATI cards in terms of video editing and other non-gaming applications.

Besides, the 460 is a lot more powerful than the 5770 already.

Solution