Solved

I7 920 Idling @ 65c, OC Issues

Hey,

Specs:
i7 920 @ 2.66, Stock HSF
750W PSU

I built my current computer about a year and a half ago. I'd tried to OC the CPU before, but it never took. I had a good grasp of things but assumed I was screwing something up and decided to leave it. Fast foward to a week ago. I tried overclocking the i7 again and had the same issues. Even on 3Ghz it would boot as far as the OS and restart itself.

I decided to check my temps and I found that I was idling at about 68c. I knew this was off, so I ran out and picked up some Arctic Silver 5 to re-mount. Upon removing Intel's stock cooler, I noticed that the thermal paste was splotchy and dried looking and there was dust on the CPU. I cleaned off the dust and old paste and laid down some AS5. After struggling with Intel's HSF a bit, it was re-mounted and I booted up. My temps were about 65c. I realized, however, that my temps were jumping up to 80-90c. The HSF had been wobbling partially off of the CPU.

So here I am, with my case on its side, letting gravity hold the HSF in place for me. My temps are now about 65c.

Does this sound like a cooling problem? I've been looking at buying a Spire TherMax Eclipse II.

Or is my particular i7 not so good?

Thanks for your help!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about idling issues
  1. 65°c is high for idle. It does sound that you original cooler is not good so I would try an aftermarket one as you are thinking about.
  2. CM Hyper 212+ is a good inexpensive cooler. Pretty sure it supports LGA1366.
  3. Do you suppose that it's really just the cooling? I don't hear of any i7's, even with stock cooling, idling at 65c. So at this point I'm wondering if there's something faulty with my CPU.
  4. Best answer
    If the HSF wobbles, then it is not adequately secured, and that definitely explains the high temps. Make sure you have the pins correctly locked (this can be a royal pain sometimes).
  5. Best answer selected by GrumpySnail.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7